A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by Tonya »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die? Knowing what happened in New Moon does not change the way I feel about his line. I think Bella should have taken it to heart instead of brushing it off the way she had. She's always saying how a world without Edward would be wrong. She never really grasped that he feels the same about her. If she had been listening she would have been more careful with her own life.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter? He's very kind besides the fact that he stuggles he does care about what happens to this girl. No I was never afraid of him.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella? Well I assumed they were from the beginning so that was not surprising. About The kissing, i always assumed that was one of the reasons he was so careful and stopped when Bella got a little rough. As far as then opening there mouth as the occasionally do I thought the same as with the bite of Pizza at lunch digesting it does not hurt you.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire? He doesn't want her getting any ideas.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio? I never thought she saw Bella at the studio in her first vision. It wasn't until after Bella received the phine call from James that she got the vision off Bella at the studio Dying. I thought she asked her if she'd have any reason to go just to rule out any possibilies of her being there when James was.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die? I know that Alice was right. I also think that Bella needed to hear what Alice had to say.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter? No I was never afraid of Jasper in this chapter. I think he was being over cautions because Edward warned him to be careful with her before.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella? Again, nothing Edward does or had done would make me think twice. I know that Edward would never do anything to put Bella in danger, if he were worried about his venom than he would have never had kissed her in the first place.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire? Because he knows Bella, I am sure that he thinks that she would just want to become a vampire. So he does not tell her. (And he would be right)

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio? I don't think she saw Bella there, she said it was not clear because other decisions were yet to be made.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
logicall and insightfull. i thought that bella should've calmed down after that....but she didnt...silly bella :lol:

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
not afraid...facinated actually...i was glad to get to know more of his pesonality and that he's willing to comfort and help bella despite his lack of control.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
um... yeah! i was like "wait a sec....should she have gotten some venom....thats gross :lol: "

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
so he wouldnt scare her...as always... :lol:

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
im not sure she saw bella in the studio. i know she saw james and james and bella were linked. so i think she came to the conclusion that if james was there, his reasoning for being there would be bella. does that make senes??
Betting on Alice.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
Well, I totally understood. Bella kept thinking that she wasn't worth it, but for me it was like: "Girl! Don't you see how much he loves you?"

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
No, he was protecting her for Edward.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
I thought it was interesting, and I didn't think about the kiss. He wouldn't do it if it could hurt her.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
Because he doesn't want to scare her, and because he doesn't want her to become a vampire, so he doesn't talk about it.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
Because maybe she saw James at the ballet studio, not Bella.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Bella doesn't have a goof view on her own self worth. She doesn't realize how much Edward cares about her or how he wouldn't want to live without her. I think Alice saying that to her maybe helped her realize a little more as to the depth of Edward's feelings.

I was never afraid of him from this chapter.. He's got a mission to do and I think he can handle it. They constantly play Jasper to be not in control of his thirst around Bella, but Edward admitted in the chapter The Cullens, that he was the one who personally warned Jasper to keep a distance from Bella.. he never really got the chance to proove himself like now. What I learned about him is that he is curious about Bella's feelings and is patient with her and just wants to reassure her.

Of course, you wonder.. but I don't think they're really open-mouth kissing very much, so not very much venom would ever reach her.. and I'm sure if Edward thought it could harm her in any way he'd nilch that in the butt.

I think he tries to be as honest as possible with her, but somethings are better left unsaid. And plus, as always, he's probably trying to keep her safe.. doesn't want her to know all the mechanics of it so she won't figure out a way to become a vampire.. which is like the last thing in the worl he wants.

They know Bella doesn't think that she's worth all this or someone getting hurt.. so if she knew the plan or that Alice may have seen her there, that she'd go there just to get it over with..
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

Bella believes she isn't worth the trouble of having so many people protecting her. She doesn't see that she is already part of the family. And they would suffer just along with Edward if she died. Referring to New Moon, I imagine this is why the family decided to leave with Edward. He believed that leaving would protect her and they followed his wishes.

It was nice to see more of his personality. He relaxes a bit, well, when it comes to wanting to kill Bella every second. It shows he could protect Bella when needed be. And no, I wasn't afraid of him. Edward wanted Bella protected and he wasn't going to do anything to break that promise.

It makes you think, that this is another thing at the back of Edwards' mind when they kiss. Not only can he not give in because he might lose control, but he might accidentally spread his venom. But like somebody posted, they weren't exactly open mouth kissing.

I think he doesn't do this for two reasons. First, he has no intention of Bella becoming a vampire at all. So what would the need be to explain something that is a moot point. Secondly, he probably doesn't want to scare her, lol.

Maybe she didn't want to scare Bella, who was already worried enough as it is.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I think they first believe that he would have reacted as Marcus did: the zombie thing. But doing the Romeo is much more Edward; always radical. It tell us a lot on the strength of the bond between the family Cullen.

Not at all. I believed that Edward overprotect Bella telling Jasper to keep his distance. He’s so kind to Bella and Alice, how can he be more dangerous than the rest of the family? (Let’s say that I changed dramatically of point of view in New Moon… ;) )

I didn’t have a single thought of that. At this point of the story, I believed that their teeth were poisonous. It’s latter that I understood the whole saliva thing… :idea:

He didn’t want her having idea of becoming a vampire. He edited when he told her his story only letting her knows that was “merely very, very painful”. At this moment of the book, I think that it was only because he doesn’t want to inflict her such torment.

I never had the impression that she has seen Bella in the studio on her first vision. I believed that was only in the second that she actually saw Bella in it. After the first vision, she was trying to make link between Bella and the studio and she weren’t comfortable with the proximity of that place with Renée’s house and the hotel.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

It made me fully understand how much Edward loves Bella. So much, that his family see how he changed because of that love. Having read New Moon, I didn't think that Alice in Twilight knew Edward would go to the Volturi if Bella died. Because if she did, she wouldn't talk about having to look at him for a century.

I wasn't afraid of him. I felt that you could notice now, that he too, himself, cared about Bella in a way.

I didn't think about it, I thought it was logical, even though they aren't the stereo-type. How else are you going to create a vampire? It didn't make me consider the kissing again.

He doesn't want her to know anything about at all. It's his way of trying to avoid that she will consider wanting to become a vampire.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and then proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
Because she didn't want to scare Bella.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

Knowing Alice, she has probably already seen Edward doing something as drastic as he did in New Moon going to the Volturi seeking death and that she was just saying that to keep Bella more calm about the outcome. As Edward states that Bella is his life now, if she died, he would die with her not matter what. He would not want be okay to live the immortal life anymore.

I am glad it shows his personality more. His gentleness. I think he is very self composed and smart. During this chapter he can see that he is capable of being around a human for a long period of time without having any negative reaction to her, and is able to keep her protected for Edwards sake. It shows he is very self controlled. (Well, unless there is blood around.)

I thought it was pretty neat. I've read Wikipedia enough to know what some Vampires have and all that, and venom was one of them. As for the kissing, I didn't think much of it. It wasn't like they were Frenching or anything.

He doesn't want her to be doomed to immortality like he is. Keeping the idea out of Bella's head is also a goal he wants to achieve not ever wanting her to wish for something Edward finds so...dark.

She most likely saw James there and not Bella and didn't want Bella to end up there for some reason without protection. She obviously didn't want to tell Bella she saw him there.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

It made me sad...I can tell that Edward's attempted suicide in New Moon wasn't anything that anyone was expecting.

Nah, not really. I knew that he wouldn't hurt her... He seemed to be pretty cool.

I thought that was a really interesting take on vampire bites. I didn't think much about Edward kissing Bella, though, since her tongue never actually touched his fang.

Because he didn't want her to get any ideas that maybe she too could transform.

Really? I thought that Alice didn't see Bella at the studio at all... From what I remember, she said it was empty. I think that she probably couldn't see Bella in the studio anyway, since Bella hadn't decided that she was going to go there yet.