A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by Alphie »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? I was leery of them all. Even though they tried to come across as meaning no harm, they are human killing vampires and I don't trust them at all. I figured their eyes had something to do with their lifestyle.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I kind of felt the same. Everything took on a more frantic and fearful pace to me.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? I thought it was for Bella to become a vampire.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? I don't think they should have split up.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

CREEPY! Red eyes on anything is a scary thing to see and when it became obvious that they drank human blood, that made it even worse!! Laurent seemed like a bit of a follower, as did Victoria, even though she ended up being a huge character for the series. James was so awesome though... You can't ask for a better villian!

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

I definitely agree with you. It stops focusing so much on their love story and turns into a kind of action story.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

I think Alice knew what Bella was thinking and that she would be stubborn about trying to get Edward to see it her way.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

I think that, given James' tracking abilities, it probably wouldn't have made a huge difference either way. He was too talented for me to think they would have gotten away and too focused for me to think he'd have given up.

Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I had an idea right away that they drank from humans. I just thought they were a group of traveling vampire's.

2. I feel different. It has changed now from a vampire and human love story, to a sort of death race/tale.

3. Turning Bella.

4. Well, if Bella had just kept running, Edward would have caught up with James, and finished him off. But, instead, Bella had to make things difficult.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

They are closer to the picture I had in my head of vampires prior to reading the novel. I immediately connected the red eyes to human blood, and they also represented a more raw being to me.

I agree. The main conflict is no longer Bella and Edward's relationship. They have to set that aside because their are bigger problems at hand now.

I still wonder what Alice's 'other option' would have been.

I think that Bella's plan was better than Edwards but I think Emmetts plan would have been the most successful.
fleurfairy
Settled in Forks

Post by fleurfairy »

I did not connect the two at first, but I did think their red eyes reflected their evilness.

I think that the "hunt" was the catalyst toward a much deeper relationship between Edward and Bella. And between Bella and the Cullens. The hunt bonded she and Edward together much more strongly than they had been before.

Alice was probably implying that Edward could turn Bella into a vampire. And then James' hunt would be useless. But of course Edward is completely resistant to that idea.

What was Edward's plan again? I think Bella did the best she could keeping Charlie safe and her mother and the Cullens. If she had stayed, James might have got to Charlie before Edward or Emmett could kill him. And then Bella would have never forgiven herself.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I thought them to be a bit ominous! :evil: As individuals, I obviously didn't like James but I was willing to give Laurent the benefit of the doubt up to a certain point. Victoria - eh, not so much. I didn't even pay attention to their eye color at first! It didn't click in my brain what it signified.

I don't know. I didn't really think about it that way, I guess. At some point, I assumed that they were going to bring someone "bad" in to show that there just aren't "good" vampires out there...there was going to have to be some sort of conflict and being the type of story it is, (I assumed) someone was always going to come after Bella anyway...

Maybe it was turning Bella into a vampire? I can only speculate here because I wish there was a MIDNIGHT SUN to explain it all! Again, I can't say....I always wanted to know what that conversation was about..what was really said...

I do think Bella had the best plan. Whereas Edward thinks only about Bella & keeping her safe, Bella is constantly thinking about other people. Bella was able, despite her fear for her own safety, to think of Charlie and his safety where Edward was not. Bella's plan kept Charlie safe.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

***I really enjoy reading and writing these!)***

I did not think anything of why the 3 other vampires. I took note of the color and that was it. I certainly knew that there was something different about them but I didn't expect or perdict anything.

Hmmm... I didn't really think about it taking on a different rhythem. That's a good question. I clearly remember that I was able to take a break from reading at the chapter "The Game" and I have to wonder if that is when the tone may have changed. Mostly, with the turn of events, I tought in a very mattor of fact way... here is an intuigul plot point - the action is amping up - were getting to the pinical of the story, or the crux... the' event!!!!

I listen to Alice because she "sees" events ahead - so I trust her and had no idea what the idea could be.

I have no idea what the best plan is. I think Bella's plan is good. It really is a combination of all plans with some give and take. I have no suggestions... just a passion to heep reading to find out what would happen. I am also not worried about Bella. I assume that she will not die. She's the main character - can't die. I accept only that outcome. So, I am just excited for the drama to unfold.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

Of course I knew they would be a threat. The eye color was very distinctive and it was obvious that the eye color had something to do with the diet!!!

I felt the danger!!! Bella is always in danger from vampires because of Edward (and family), but now she is being hunted by a persistant hunter!!! He is having to protect her from a danger he introduced her to. I understand how Bella felt. That is was her fault and she was worried the Cullens would be harmed because of her. Now I am worring about that!

It was very obvious that she was considering turning Bella. That was the option she had been thinking about that he was refusing.

It made sense. She was trying to lead James away from her father. She knew she would hurt ihm, but that was the only way to to protect him. Yes she got hurt, but James died and she/the Cullens/and her family was safe. I don't know what to say... I liked the book...so I can't imagine it being any other way!!!
ImageImage
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

i realized immediately they would be dangerous, they weren't the same as the cullen's and anyone could tell that. and the red eyes just reinforced that and i did think it could have to do with their human diets.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until now, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
oh i thought that completely. it's a turning point and the book gets immediately more serious with a life or death situation.

fighting, maybe? i dont know. that, or turning bella.

bella's plan was good, it kept her dad safe which was more than edward could even think of when he was focused on bella.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3