Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
I saw the difference between them and the Cullen's. They were more savage and predator like and the Cullen's were more human like. I did figure that the red eyes meant that they drank human blood.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
No I knew that Bella wouldn't be in danger from Edward so the book headed in the right direction she was in danger because of what he was and what she was. Right on target Stephenie is an amazing story teller.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I figured she as talking about changing Bella but I didn't think that there was a reason behind it other than saving her life and making her part of the family.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I think that her plan was good she just didn't count on James being too good at what he did.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? I figured they drank human blood from everyone's reaction and they kinda freaked me out.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I felt generally the same thing, the pace was much faster.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? Changing Bella before James got her.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? They should have gone to Isle Esme!!!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
I sensed their evilness immediately. :lol: I did connect the red eyes to the human blood they drank, yes. It made sense to me at the time. Now it doesn't make sense to me any more because animal blood is red too I suddenly realized. Hmmm ... Oh well, whatever.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until now, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I got the same impression. To me those two parts of the book are sort of stories on their own. First you have the story of Bella and Edward finding each other and growing to love each other and then you have all the dark things with the fighting and fleeing and so on.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I think she means they could turn Bella into a vampire and they she never would have to worry about getting killed. I guess that was a possible option but Edward choose differently.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I did believe Bella had the best plan, yes. I just think it could've gone better if they had fled to some other place with Bella so she couldn't have run of to 'save Renée'. But then of course what would've happened if James had actually had imprisoned Renée ... Then everyone would've been sad. :cry:
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I could tell they were evil but I really hadn't made any presumptions about their eye color.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I felt like it was a solid romance at first and now it kind of has some action to it, but I really liked the way it turned out.

I immediately thought of him turning her into a vampire.

I liked her plan but I am curious as to what would have happened if they would have stuck with Edward's plan.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i knew they were bad vampires just by the way the cullens reacted to their presence. i definetly connected the eye color to the type of blood they drank.

-at first, the book was all about edward and bella and their story together, but then the book added some action in there. i thought it made it twice as good (:

-i knew the other option was to turn bella into a vampire, there was nothing else edward wouldve been so opposed to.

-yes i think bella had the best plan. though i thought that maybe her plan wouldve been a little better if they went somewhere totally random, not to phoenix
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

They kinda seemed evil, but as individauls, I thought Laurent was nice enough. I actually didn't think Victoria was that bad (though I changed my mine soon after). I was wary of James, and then it was out right hate for obvious reasons. And the red eyes thing was very obvious.

I feel the same way. The first part of the book is completely just Bella and Edward's realtionship. But then this happened and all of a sudden we go from romance to action in a heart beat.

It would have to be something with turning Bella into a vampire, but I'm still not sure of the entire plan that Alice had in mind.

Well, bella's plan was obviously the best. And everything worked out pretty okay. Things would have probably gone better with Edward's plan, but there would have to be a whole lot more exaplining (lie or truth) to Charlie. The onlt flaw was when Bella got away and went to the ballet studio. If Alice and Jasper had somehow caught he before she got there, that would be the only thing that would change for the better.
OnePerCentClub
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnePerCentClub »

It was interesting that they lived in covens, rather than alone. I didn't connect, but I thought it was normal that their are were red. I thought they were creepy, because they acted different than the Cullens. Their introduction was scary and exciting.

It got exciting. The first part was focused mostly on Bella and then in her relationship with Edward, and I thought that every book was going to be pretty much the same. But it was great, it was the right combination, love and action.

Obviously that Bella should be turned into a vampire, so there was no more danger.

Edward was blind because he was scared and very concerned about Bella's safety. However, his plan wasn't the best. Bella was thinking of Charlie too. I think their mistake was that they splited up. They should've stayed together and have Carlisle with him or Esme with them, an "adult" because Edward became very emotional and couldn't think clearly when Bella was in danger.
OnePerCentClub
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnePerCentClub »

It was interesting that they lived in covens, rather than alone. I didn't connect, but I thought it was normal that their are were red. I thought they were creepy, because they acted different than the Cullens. Their introduction was scary and exciting.

It got exciting. The first part was focused mostly on Bella and then in her relationship with Edward, and I thought that every book was going to be pretty much the same. But it was great, it was the right combination, love and action.

Obviously that Bella should be turned into a vampire, so there was no more danger.

Edward was blind because he was scared and very concerned about Bella's safety. However, his plan wasn't the best. Bella was thinking of Charlie too. I think their mistake was that they splited up. They should've stayed together and have Carlisle with him or Esme with them, an "adult" because Edward became very emotional and couldn't think clearly when Bella was in danger.
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Post by beemarie »

Way eerie. I mean, red eyes in general creep me out. I though Laurent was the leader. Victoria was like.. pretty but not stunning. And then there is my favorite bad boy, James. Oh James, I thought he was good looking, but apparently my view is skewed since Cam played him in the movie. :D And I did figure out that their eyes were because of the human blood. I think that's mentioned somewhere in Twilight, but Im not 100% sure.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. I was like... where did this come from? If I just read this part, I mean I would be a little confused. Lot's of action as apposed to romance.

Changing her into a vampire. I sort of caught on here with Bella become a vampire.

I think they all should've stayed together. But maybe she had the best plan, I really don't see anything else.
~Bee Marie
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?Victoria sempt torn between Laurent and James (eyes darting between the two males). James just gave me the heebie-jeevies form the start. And Laurent sempt like he could keep his cool no matter what.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?I agree. The first part of the book is a more intiminte (couldn't think of a better word) danger, but later it's more scary.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? Changing Bella.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? Bella did have the best plan, but she should have probably went somewhere else. If they went with Edward's plan, I think that Charlie would have actually called the FBI.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!