A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by lunamia »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
Pretty scary, not only the fact that they are "real drink-human blood vampires" but they seemed wild. No shoes? really? And yes, I did connect the dots with the red eyes vs. golden eyes.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I suppose it could be taken as a different plot since we were dealing with Bella/Edward falling in love. This twist of the story is a more action packed, frantic pace.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
By then, I figured that Alice saw Bella in the future as a vampire..and Edward was fighting against that premonition.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
The plan worked as well as any other would I think.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
~yes i made the eye connection right away. they honestly scared me and i feared for Bella.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
~the first half is more passionate, while the end is action packed.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
~ Making Bella a vampire!

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
~ Yes, but I wish they would have stayed together, because Edward would not let Bella run off to meet a sadistic vampire.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

Yes I made the connection about their eyes. As group they didn't seem very connected. Laurent seemed to have the most self control, Victoria looked like she needed therapy and James seemed to be a mischevious one.

I got the same impression.

Well I finished the book so I already know.

No I liked Edwards plan better. I think Bella wouldn't have gotten hurt but she would have gotten in trouble and I think she should have stayed with Edward instead of going with Alice and Jasper.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I sort of figured it did. We know that the Cullens eyes change color back to gold when they feed. It's a logical leap that the eye color is related to feeding habits.

I don't know that it seems a second plot so much as an extension of the first, something else in Edward's world that places Bella in danger. With his sense of self-loathing, he'll probably find a way to blame himself for it.

Changing Bella into a vampire. Once she is one of them, it seems James might not be so interested in hunting her. It's the only thing I could think of that might have set Edward's teeth so on edge.

No. If nothing else, Alice saw that it wouldn't work. Never bet against Alice. I think Bella was the weak link here. If she just would have trusted Alice and Edward, she wouldn't have gotten hurt.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

They seemed almost the polar opposites of the Cullens: their wild, worn appearance, bare feet, their very predatory gait and their very obviously non-"vegetarian" eye color.

Yes, I did feel the same. The focus shifted and the pace went into overdrive. There was an urgency and it was more imminently life or death for Bella than anything that ever happened with Edward.

I figured it was turning Bella into a vampire--what else would get Edward so angry?

I actually did think that Bella's idea was the best. Bella was trying to do the best for all concerned. If she'd never gone home, Charlie would've gone after Edward. She also needed to lead James away from Charlie to protect him. Actually, the only problem I had was them actually going to Phoenix--she had too many connections there that could be used against her. They should've gone elsewhere.
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

They were scary.. I knew something was up, or else Edward and the rest of the Cullens wouldn't have reacted that way. Yes, I knew that their eyes meant they drank human blood.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?Hmm.. I guess it does have multiple plots.. one is the forbidden love thing, and the other is can Edward save Bella, she is being hunted my a vampire.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?Oh.. Changing Bella of course :). Edward was slow lol.. He shouldve just sucked it up and bit her!

I dont think so.. I mean, if Bella wasn't an idiot and didn't run away, none of this would've happened! Stupid.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

1)That they were primitive and were sinister. b) Yes. The eye color says it all.

2)Same impression.

3)Turning Bella to save her.

4)Yes. No, James still would have hunted. No.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

Yes, I automatically assumed they were bad since their eyes were red. They did seem like an odd group in the book descriptions. As far as individuals I'm not really sure what to think...other than that I don't like them. lol.

I feel both. They rhythm kinda of changed to sudden panic, instead of it popping up every now and then. I felt different b/c it is still Edward trying to protect her like he had been the whole book.

The other option would be staying in forks and I'm guessing since she saw that vision (as we later find out) that they could just go ahead and turn Bella into a vampire. :D

I think Bella did have best plan. It's sort of funny that she did. I think Bella would have been in more danger if they used Edward's plan. I wouldn't change anything b/c I like how it worked out and how it flowed.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

The "real" vampires seemed very untamed. They seemed to have an uncivilized wildness about them. I assumed their eye color had to do with their diet, because the Cullen's eyes changed gold colored to black when they needed to eat.

The book definetly takes on a much more urgent feel to it. Before the story was focused on the love Bella and Edward share and the trials of being part of that. But, now the situation is life or death.

The first time I read Twilight I had no idea what the other option was. I just kind of thought Edward was being ridiculously stubborn.

Initially, I thought Bella had the best plan, because then she could let Charlie see she was ok and then he would be safer too. No, I don't think Edward's plan would have gone over better. He was not in the right frame of mind and he wasn't considering what could go wrong. As Bella points out, if both Edward and Bella disappear Charlie would get suspicious. Since he is the Chief of Police he'd be looking for them both and draw too much attention to the cullens. Maybe, since the Cullens own so many properties, Alice and Jasper should have taken Bella to one of their other houses so they didn't draw danger to Bella's family.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

The scout James, then, Laurent and Victoria had a close bond as a group. More animalistic than the Cullens, less caring of their image. And oh yes, the burgundy eyes.

Same impression.

At first read, I didn't realize what it was so I figured Edward was right.

Bella's plan was the better of the two. With Edward's, they would've had to stay on the run. Alice and Edward should've gone to Phoenix. Knowing now Jasper would've been just fine back in Forks.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas