A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by Lirpa »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? At first I did not think that there were going to be any problems, but I should have known, Stephanie never just writes stuff in, just because. They really just rubbed me the wrong way. I knew the red eyes had something to do with their "eating habits"

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I think that the beginning of the book lead into this very well actually. We got to see Edward constantly saving Bella in one way or another. But then you see (IMO) that it kind of lead up to this ultimate battle / protection thing. Everything before seemed like the small steps to the big event. Like training or something. It all helped prepare Edward, so that he knew he could handle this.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? The first time through I really didn't even catch this, but now it sticks out and I know exactly what she means, turning Bella would have stopped this whole thing right there and then.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? Bella's plan made sence in order to keep Charlie safe, which was Bella's main focus. I don't think that any plan would have kept James off of Bella's tail for long.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
i liked laurant. i always have. i was really sad in new moon. i feel your pain irina!! vicoria was an interesting chatacter and especiallly in eclipse. id love to know more about her past. and i flat out didnt like james. his apperance and additude didnt fly with me.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
yes!! i know how it is. its all about one thing one moment and then you totally switch gears the next!

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
the other option is edward takes a second to cool down and then we think through how to now focus our energy in one place. space it out and take care of this effectively.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
i like the way that girl thinks! (most of the time :lol: ) and i think it would have been a lot different, had they gone with edwards plan.
Betting on Alice.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
I was sure they were dangerous. And yeah, I related their eye color to the blood they drank.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
Yeah, it was different. But it was cool!

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
Turning Bella into a vampire, maybe.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I think she shouldn't have gone to Phoenix, that was a mistake.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Obviously they drink human blood, or James wouldn't want to go after Bella. It's strange how different other vampires are compared to the Cullens. It's hard to believe how animilaistic they are.

It definitely feels like there is a bunch of action in it now.

I never caught that before, but my guess would be turning Bella into a vampire herself. I'm surprised that she would even suggest/think that though.. ecspecially when their numbers are so much higher than James, Laurent and Victoria.

Ehh.. it's hard to say. If they did leave right away, it would have caused a lot of problems with Charlie (i.e. James could have killed him, FBI,.. ect ect). I think that Bella did have a good plan.. but maybe they should not have gone to Phoenix.
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

I had seen the movie first, and they gave an ominous impression to me there. And even more so here. Victoria and James not talking seemed creepier and more foreboding. James doesn't even say his famous line from the movie about "bringing a snack." Laurent is the one who utters it with an incredulous look. Obviously knowing about the eyes from the movie I knew ahead of time what it was about.

I agree. Up until this point it was a slower pace, not a bad thing, but it definitely picks up here. It's funny to see Bella finally fearing her vampire family. Especially little Alice.

Again, having seen the movie, I knew what Alice was thinking. She wanted to see if Edward would just go ahead and change her. Resolving this dangerous situation. Obviously it was a good idea, but I'm glad Edward was still adamant against turning her. Would have made his previous chapter struggles a rather moot point.

I believe Bella's plan was the best one, even in hindsight. Edward is kind of like me, hatching out a plan that I think is the best for everybody. If they didn't follow her plan, they may have never gotten away from James and Victoria. I imagine that somebody in the Cullen family or Bella would've been killed.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

1.We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

Stephenie show them as being much wilder than the Cullen, much more feline in a strange way. They seem always ready to escape to attack. And yes, the burgundy eyes give us a good hint on the fact that they are dangerous.

You’re right, thing start to go faster and faster. Until now, the rhythm was kind of slow, a beautiful romance rhythm, as a waltz. Suddenly we pass to hard rock…

Since the chapter 14, when he have that odd look talking about the vision of Alice, I have a doubt. Alice has seen Bella becoming a vampire, so the other option is to bite her.

I think Bella have a good plan, until the idea of hiding in Phoenix. It was sure that James would go to Phoenix, even if he thinks it's bait. What other option he would have? She not at her father house so… logically…

I don’t think thing would have been better with Edward plan. Leaving Charlie unprotected was more dangerous: James would have bait just there! And Edward’s family would have to run away, Charlie would have called the FBI… Even if Edward would have protected Bella from James and kill him, he would have to leave her at Forks… New Moon scenario sooner…

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

By now we know that Edward's eyes change color because of his thirst, so I thought their red eyes would have something to do with their drinking to. I felt the group was dangerous.

I felt the book became more dark now.

3. On page 283, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I thought she was talking about other options than just plainly running off like that.

If they went with Edwards plan, James would have followed (and found?) them immediately. Bella's plan was the best, but I did think she should have gone somewhere else instead of Phoenix.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

As a group I thought they were dangerous. The way James and Victoria looked so smug and Laurent so polite made me feel uneasy. I did connect theireyes were red because of their diet. The Cullens and the Denali coven were the only vegetarians they knew of in the Pacific Northwest area.

I felt that it was a good plot twist from the oozy cuteness beforehand. It kept me reading, actually.

I figured she was referring to changing Bella so the hunt would immediately be ended and no more danger would come for her. Edward was 1000% against ever changing her.

I think Bella's plan was best except the Phoenix route. If she went somewhere off the wall then to her old hometown it would've changed the outtake of the ending results all together. James wouldn't have known where Bella's mom was and Charlie was untouchable because he was being protected so no hostage situation would've been made (I don't think) and it would've left James with no other real plan but to keep chasing her till he ended up in a corner.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

They were all very creepy and even tho they appeared polite I knew that they all had a ulterior motives for why they wanted to see if they could "play baseball" with the Cullens. I thought it was kind of funny that they found the Cullens way of eating so strange. I knew that their eye color had to do with something about blood but I didn't know that it had to do with the type of blood.

Yes, I agree with you. Now the book focuses on that fact that there are other kinds of vampires who do feed on humans and these vampires are dangerous to Bella. From her to the end of the book it's pretty much action packed.

I thought Alice was telling Edward that they could end thing whole James things by just turning Bella into a vampire. I would of liked to see for sure what Alice's "other option" is.

What was Emmett's plan? to just track James and kill him? No, I don't think that things would of worked out better if they would of gone with Edward's plans. Bella did have the best plan. If they would of not splitted up at all through all of this, I think that things may of been a little bit better. However, since James was really commited to this hunt, I think that he would of found Bella no matter what they did different.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

They seemed interesting... And no, I never noticed that at all. But now that I think about it, it makes sense.

I felt that way too. It was kind of funny how it was so lighthearted before, and then suddenly... It became dark and sinister. XD

Perhaps she was referring to turning Bella into a vampire right then and there... Edward seemed offended, so that might have been the case.

Yeah, Bella's plan was pretty good. It had a lot more thought put into it, unlike Edward's which was kind of reckless.