A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by skatepixie »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
Yes on the eyes. Part of me expected them to attack Bella right away -- and then I was surprised when the tracker decides to go after her after his leader says not to. I would have assumed that vampires would go for eyes prey -- that they would get blood wherever they could, rather than picking one human girl out of all the rest -- a human who belongs to a large, powerful coven.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I think it changed, but that it works. After all, the goals of Edward, Bella, and the rest of the Cullen family change right then, too. Before, they were more focused on Bella and Edward's relationship (just as the story is), but now the focus becomes protecting Bella from the tracker.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I think that the other option is to fight, but that Edward doesn't want to do it because he doesn't wnat to endanger Bella or any of his family members. EDIT: I read other people's posts and I do agree with the theory that Alice suggested changing Bella right then and there. I'm still leaving my answer, because it's what I thought of, but now that I've read it, I agree that Plan B was to turn Bella into a vampire.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I liked Bella's plan. It was quite effective reverse psycology. I think it *might* have worked best to say they were going to Phoenix, lay a trail elsewhere, and then go to a third city. The other flaw in Bella's plan is that, if it had worked, they would have had to be on the run forever. Considering how things worked out, a fight wasn't the worst thing that could have happened.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
Yes, especially since Bella has already had it confirmed that their eye colour changes in relation to when they had eaten. Also the fact that she found it sinister is a dead giveaway.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
Yes, it did seem to change in tone.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I didn't realise its significance at first, but additional information has led me to believe that Alice is suggesting that Edward change her into a vampire.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I think that it was the best plan to go with, yes. It is the easiest on Charlie, and that was important, if Bella is to ever go back to him, or continue having a relationship with Edward while living with Charlie.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I think I did because Bella tells us how the eyes change color and Edward confirms her theory.

The book did take a turn. In the first half we are learning so much about Edward and his family and what kind of vampirism SM created. Second half was about vampires that hunt humans and them coming after her.

I didn't have a clue what it meant.

Since I read this a couple of months ago I already forgotten what Edwards plans were. I thinkI felt Bella's plan was the best from what I remember.
Banner by TammyAZ