Chapter 17 ~ The Game

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?
I think Billy was just being protective of Charlie as he knew how "dangerous" the Cullens were and he wanted the best for his friend and his daughter. I think Bella was a tad rude with her response but she loved Edward and she knew the truth about his family and Billy didn't.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
I think Charlie was nicer to Edward then I thought he was going to be. I could picture him very pushy like having the sex talk in front of both of them. :D LOL

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
I think he is. He has plenty of self-control and they both know that. I just think he struggles with the possibilityof hurting her.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
A little. I don't think Bella cared as they both know how much they care for each other.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! IT MADE ME LOVE HER MORE! She's such a loving person and that proved her love that she would kill herself over her child.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I thought it was big of Billy to take a step back and not tell Charlie, even though he clearly disagreed with everything Billy was doing. And I love that as a Bella moment; it really shows how strong willed she is, yet she stayed mature, holding her ground without throwing a strop.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?Yeah. I thought he was courteous without being overly patronising. It was very sweet.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
Yes, but then maybe if he wasn't so hard on himself, constantly thinking about her being in danger, he might slip and the results of that would be even worse than him being tough on himself. So it's for the best. Poor Edward, though.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
No, I thought it was just right. Bella notices that he tells her he loves her for the first time, but Edward doesn't even seem to register it; it's as though he's thought about it so much and it's so engrained in him that telling her doesn't even register with him. It's so obvious to him that he does love her, so it seemed very in character that he wouldn't make a big deal out of telling her that.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
A little. I felt much more sympathetic for her after learning her tragic past, and thought much more of her for being able to get over that. I understood why she was so motherly, too. But overall, she was still the same character as she'd seemed before; I just understood why with learning more about her here.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

He was trying to protect her, but it really was none of his business. So I think he should have stayed out of it. But it was decent of him not to tell Charlie at least. Bella handled it perfectly.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
I think Charlie did the best he could. He was polite, they laughed together..It seemed like a normal first meeting. And it was probably very difficult for Charlie that his little girl suddenly had a boyfriend.

Edward is always to hard on himself. There are real dangers and difficulties in their relationship, but he puts so much strain on himself. But maybe it was necessary. You could just feel the way he struggled with himself, it was kind of hard to read.

Not at all. I don't think Edward even realized that he hadn't said it before, because it was just so natural for him. His love for her was endless, and he didn't have to say it for her to know that. And I think it sounded very right at the time he said it.

We learn that she experienced great pain in her human life after loosing her baby. This made me see clearer how much she really loves her "children", and what a good mother she is. It 's like she has taken it as her life mission to take care of her family.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i thjought it wasnt out of the ordinary he is just concern and she is a teenager

yeah i did he is after looking out for bella

yes he is always tellign himself that he shouldnt be with bella coz she in danger

yas i was i thought he would have said it at a romantic time

no it made even more love her
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

I thought he seemed very concerned, a little bit too prying and he bugged me..Bella was kind of rude, but it was her business and he had no reason to be like that, I was glad he didn't tell Charlie.
He handled it well, it was pretty quick and didn't give him much time to even really think about it, but he was nice to him.
Yes, she puts herself in danger. Doesn't need him. :lol: It's her choice, and to her, it's worth it. He's also there to protect her, he doesn't mean to put her in danger.
No, I was really happy he told her. We already knew, but still. He didn't even seem to know he hadn't said it, they both just knew how they felt and didn't have to bother saying things to clarify.
I thought it was funny how she just brushed it off, like it was no big deal, 'Oh, yeah, I jumped off a cliff. Tried to kill myself, but Carlisle saved me first.' It shows how extreme she was with grief for her baby, and how motherly and protective she is and how much she loves her adopted children.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

I think they were both justified in their opinions. Billy is worried about Bella and Charlie, so yes he can voice his concern. But Bella was right by saying it was her decision if she was going to tell Charlie. She was going to tell Charlie that she was with Edward, Billy just happened to bring it up before she talked to him.

I think if Edward had found it impolite in any way he would have said something to Bella. I don’t think Charlie did anything wrong because he was still nice. He just worried about his daughter.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is too hard on himself?
I think she may think that he’s too hard on himself. He’s just being honest. He knows that he puts her in a LOT of danger. She never questions it. She never will, and she’ll never blame him. But he knows exactly the amount of damage that could be done.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly?
Absolutely not. I think that he’s been thinking it for so long, he just kinda said it and then it was out there. He didn’t realize he said it. He just knew that she knew he loved her and to him that was what mattered.

No. I understood why she loved the children. I knew why she loved Edward the most. It just opened my eyes up to her even more. I understood why she didn’t care what Bella was as long as she made Edward happy.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Bella was almost close to rude to Billy, I think. Billy was doing what he thought was best for his friend's daughter. Although it was irritating to Bella, you can't really blame him for trying.

Approve? No. Understand? Absolutely. He's still fairly new to parenting and I think one of the main ways he shows her he cares is to be very protective.

No one knows Edward's limits better than he does, but he probably was a little too hard on himself.

Disappointed, but not surprised! He had shown her in so many ways, hearing the words was just icing on the cake. Sigh!

A little, I guess. I wanted to know still more about her history -- not as much as we learned about Carlisle, but I wanted more development to it.

Image Image Image
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response? She was a little disrespectful but I would have done the same at that age. I probably would have chewed him out for being so dang judgmental!!!

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home? Yes he's a dad he can;t help himself.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself? Yes

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly. No that's the best way then you know they really mean it!

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her? No still the perfect mother even more so. I couldn't imagine what I would do if the same were to happen to me.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response? I think that Bella handled it quite well. Billy has the opportunity to ruin everything she has with Edward. Bella needed to say what she did to protect her relationship.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home? I think it was a normal dad reaction.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself? Yes, I do think he is to hard on himself. He is doing a great job when he is around Bella, he has not killed her yet. ;) Although I understand why he torments himself so much, if he were to slip just once, it would be awful for him and her.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly. No, I think those are the best times. He didn't way it just because she said it. I think it was perfect.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her? No if anything I liked her more. Esme is so sweet, loving, and genuine she only gets better. I did fell very bad for her, but she has seemed to find a way to cope with her new family.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i thought that billly was sticking his nose where it shouldnt be...kinda irritating. bella handled it well though.

*sigh* poor charlie....but i dont blame him. his a dad. what can he do??

uh-huh! edward get a grip. stop blaming all this on you!! just cuz you exist does not mean all things bad happen because of you. soooo...ya i think he was hard on himself.

um...Yeah!! i was kinda sad it couldnt have been a more comfortable moment. i mean its great he told her but....yeah... :roll:

not really. it just added to how much i loved and respected her. i love esme and this just made me want to give her a big hug!!
Betting on Alice.