A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by Alphie »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by gordonfan08 »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response? I thought he was kind of out of line at first, but I then realized why he said the things he did. I think Bella handled herself very well.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home? Yes, this is all very awkward for Charlie. He doesn't really know what to do.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself? Yes, I do.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly. No

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her? No, not really.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

Billy really just seemed overly nosy and into Bella's life. I really thought this was the first glimpse that maybe Billy knew a lot more than he let on.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?

I think Charlie always behaves as a dad who just isn't sure of what the right thing to do is.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?

I think he was very hard on himself and never wanted to believe that Bella CHOSE to be there, so she was aware of the potential dangers.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.

It wasn't the big romantic scene I thought it would be but it worked for me.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?

Esme is one of the characters that, from the beginning, I wanted to know much, much more about. The basic info provided in this chapter was interesting and I immediately felt sad for her having lost a child, but the knowledge that she has these adopted kids and a loving husband helped a little.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1) I thought Bella was sort of rude. Billy was just trying to help her.

2) I guess. He trusted Bella, and from previous chapters thought the Cullens were nice people.

3) Maybe since Bella, does get in so much danger, he thinks he is causing some of it.

4) It was goo for the first "I love you", but more romance should have been involved.

5) This shows that she does have an open heart, and welcomes Bella with open arms. It just shows how motherly she is too.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

It went exactly as I would imagine it would have, except I thought Billy would confront Charlie about everything.

I think he acted like a typical Dad with the questioning and concern over his daughters safety.

Yeah I do. I think as long as he keeps working on controlling himself he shouldn't be so insistent on depriving himself of love.

I feel like Edward has said I love you in so many ways before this just using different words. Maybe he should have said I love you after Bella said it to him. But, she knew it, and he said things that say I love you in a much stronger way in my opinion.

I feel a bit more compassionate towards Esme. She is such a complex character. I really learned why she is such a strong mother figure, and I feel sympathy for what she endured with the child she lost.
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

I felt like he is letting her know he knows what is going on. If that makes sense. he is being nosey, but he feels it is his duty to protect people from the "treat" he thinks the Cullen's impose. It makes sense with his background that he would fear for Bella, she is his friends daughter after all. I understand why he is trying to keep her away from the Cullen's. I was surprised he didn't say something to Charlie. I knew it wouldn't be "Your daughter is dating a vampire." But just something.

Of course. He did what any dad would do when his daughter brought a guy home. He is going to be protective and make sure she is safe. I think his first reaction was funny. Saying he was to old for her think he was Emmett. If only he knew!!!! But I think he reacted better than a police office could have acted. My parents are police and that is a scary thought bring some one home!!
We have to remember... He is new to this. He has a teenaged daughter who is dating. That is a first to him. And this is the first boyfriend she has brought home. So I think he reacted just fine!

Yes... He can not be responsible for everything that happens. Even if it is vampire related. We have found that Bella is a "danger magnet". She is going to be surrounded by danger no matter what. One person can not take on that responsibly all by them self. All it is going to do is eat at you. We know from New Moon that it still happens even though he wasn't around. He blames himself for everything!

No... He has let he know how he feels. Even if he didn't come out and say I love you. He put it in a different way. I like how he just said it randomly!!!

I was glad we got more info about Esme. I was interested in her. I wondered about her motherly instincts and now I know she had a child. It makes more sense about how/why she loves "her children" so much!
ImageImage
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

He was only trying to watch out for her and warn her against what he thought was danger. I think it was a nice gesture but I also think that sometimes, people do need to mind their own business.

Sure. Charlie was just being a normal dad! Being protective...no guy is ever good enough for a man's only daughter!

Edward underestimates Bella, I think. Of course, she isn't as strong as he is and their worlds are very much different so he definitely needs to keep an eye out for her and make sure that he doesn't hurt her physically but other than that, I do think Edward is too hard on himself. He needs to cut himself some slack.

Nope. It was sweet!

Not at all. She's a mother who lost her only child. Now she mothers all the Cullens. If anything, I think it makes Esme more relatable, more loving.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I think Bella was a hair dissrespectful in the way she talked to Billy. I kind of admire her for being so strong and confident in her delivery. I also think it was weird that Billy drove out to Charlie's to warn him (come on, use the phone)... unless he was really there to warn Bella. It is possible that he was "in the area" but I think the fish fry :?: was an excuse.

I thought Charlie was okay. He was surprised, asked appropriate questions, and was polite when he met him. I approve.

We all have our issues. I think Edward is hard on himself. Probably too hard on himself, but I also think it's perfectly acceptable.

I was in no way dissapointed in how he said it. I was glad he said it.

I had so little of an impression of Esme that all information about her is just filling in who she is and developing her as a deeper character. The more I learn about Esme the more I like her.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

I was as annoyed as Bella that Billy was butting in like that. I don't think its his place even if he is trying to protect Bella.
Yes, they seemed to get along just fine.
No, this is a very big deal. He loves her so much that this is a major issue and he has to be very very careful around her; plus, that just makes it that much better when he succeeds.
No. It made it just that much better because Bella picked up on it instantly and we of course know Edward loves Bella insanely.
No. Like she said Edward just said she fell because he was being a gentleman. This also explains how she is such a caring, loving, understanding mother.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

well i was annoyed, but he is just being protective of bella. with good reason too.

i think he did good. he was being polite and didn't seem too rude.

i think he is always too hard on himself and he deserves a lot of credit for what he does. he can't possibly stay away from bella which would be the first and most logical way to keep her safe, but it is a good thing that he is around otherwise she'd have been in a whole lot of trouble by now.

no i wasn't annoyed. it was cute. it worked.

i just still felt that she was an incredibly nice, and motherly person. she is selfless really, and kind.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3