A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by Alphie »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by pixiealice »

1. I think that Carlisle starving himself was most relevant to me...it showed me he was aware of himself and what he had become, and what kind of life that meant for he. He was noble in trying to save anyone in the future that he may hurt by trying to "off" himself and my respect for him grew from discovering that.

2. Edward the vigilante! It made me think of capital punishment vampire style. Edward only went after those who society would deem criminals (yet society would be the first to turn on him)

3. Edward and no bed. Bummer. I actually didn't think he'd get a bed, I figured he'd get one for Alice's room first.

4. I think Edward surprised himself with his inner strength. His battle for Bella's love VS Bella's blood was something he had to work out, but being the man he is, he took the high road (as usual) He knew himself well enough that had he satisfied himself and killed Bella, he could never live with himself after. It was a battle within he won. Being with her alone for hours proved he had the strength to live with her, and learned he could have it no other way.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? I guess the fact that Carlisle tried to starve himself surprised me. I never really thought about a vampire trying to kill himself, but that made me think.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I think it seemed reasonable, and I can totally see trying to rationalize it by killing only bad guys.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! I thought he would get a bed for Bella, whether it was to sleep or otherwise.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? I think Edward has finally come to the realization that Bella is not afraid of him, and that he can be close to her and not cause her harm.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

I was mostly surprised at Carlisle's refusal to feed. It just showed that he was truly meant for the life the Cullen's live, as "vegetarians"

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I wasn't necessarily surprised. It seemed like the traditional 'vampire' thing to do. And, I was on the same page with Bella since Edward was only hunting people who inflicted harm on others.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

This gets answered in Eclipse. :)

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

He's realized she really does feel for him the way he wanted her to! The fact that the feelings are reciprocated and that she was willing and able to meet his family and make their relationship official was probably a weight off his shoulders.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. That Carlisle tried to starve himself. Even though he was a monster, he seems like the person that would cherish life over any consequences, not try to destroy it.

2. I thought it was normal. I guess it probably helped him feel better about killing people if he knew or thought they were bad.

3. Maybe if he ever does find a real vampire mate. Bella maybe?

4. Maybe because he knows his family likes Bella, vise versa. Or just the fact that their relationdhip is blooming.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I was the most surprised of Carlisle's amazing will power. I feel like this chapter gave me such insight into Carlisle's life and thoughs. He amazes me.

I assumed that at some point all of them would have experienced great temptation and caved, felt guilty, and then resolved to try a different walk of life. Edward is very old, and I think that Bella sees that he was naturally once young and not as wise as he is now. I was intrigued that Edward only sought out and killed 'deserving' humans. He reminds me of a tormented batman-type vigilante when he talks about his past.

Well I suppose it's obvious Edward wouldn't need a bed considering he doesn't actually sleep. I can't imagine Edward and Bella really wanting to take their relationship 'to the next step' so to speak in Carlisle and Esme's home. Maybe he would get a bed if Bella ever needed a place to sleep though.

Edward is finally comfortable around Bella. He faced his temptations with her and overcame them. He finally knows that he can really do it, and he knows he isn't going to hurt her.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

First time I read the book, I can't say I paid much attention to the physiology of the vampires, but I did find it interesting that they didn't need to breathe. Now I am listening to the audio... I didn't remember reading that Carslie tried to starve himself but I now think he is amazingly strong to attempt and suceed for so long. Says EVERYTHING about his character. I am enjoying him so much more now. I wasn't really phased at how hard they are to kill... vampires in any vampire story is hard to kill.

I expect all vampires to drink human blood. I was way more shocked that Carslile never has. I think it is reasonable, so I am not phased. I LOVE that Edward would only kill bad people. That makes me love him more. He is such a good person.

I am honestly so distracted by Edward and how beautiful and amazing of a character is and I am totally dazzled (no pun intended) by his relationship with Bella that I really didn't notice his bedroom at first. I still don't tink I can fully imagine his room. I can imagine the amazing CD wall. I look forward to seeing it in the movie.

I think that Edward is trusting Bella more. He has absolutly falling in love with her. He can't read her thoughts, so he has to learn to trust by feeling.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I don't think any of them were particularly surprising really. Maybe that Carlisle tried to starve himself, if anything. It shows that he had a conscience, even in the very beginning.

Like Bella, I think it seemed reasonable. I think his choice to kill only bad humans is admirable. Sort of a penance in a way.

I doubt it would have taken him very long to get a bed!

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
Because he truly does realize -and even begins to accept- that he loves her and she loves him. For the most part, his family accepts his decision as well as accepting Bella.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

I thought the fact that they didn't need to breathe was something that was totally unexpected and awesome!! Carlisle trying to starve himself and vampires being hard to kill weren't to surprising because Carlisle is so humane that its kind of expected especially once you hear his story. Then everything we have heard about vampires has made them seem invulnerable so that wasn't a surprise either.
Eh, I thought it was reasonable and considering the circumstances, I found the fact that he only hunted bad people was quite honorable and a logical choice because of his given talents.
Hm, not too long. I anticipated that Bella would eventually have to stay at Edward's house and seeing how Edward is he would never make her sleep on the couch.
The fact that he can actually be close to her to some degree.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

that carlisle tried to starve himself

i thought it was because he felt guilty for killing innocent people who dind't deserve it.

because he actually showed himself to her.....and he felt how much she wanted to kiss him int he meadow
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett