A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by Black Rose »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

That Carlisle tried to starve himself. As soon as I read that I nearly laughed. I know it was a confusing situation and all, but still! How in the would could he have though that he could starve a vampire?

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I was really surprised, but I understood it. And it didn't make him evil or anything. He tried to do it in the best wat possible. Though its wrong to kill, its more wrong to kill the innocent than the wicked.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

I didn't exactly think he was ever gonna get one. Than I read Eclipse...

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

I think he finally realized that Bella truely loved him back and that, no matter how many people he had kill, she was going to stand by him.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I think the fact that they don't need to breathe shocked me the most.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I was not surprised, it seems to me like you'd have to drink blood at some point if you were a vampire (I agree with Bella, it seemed reasonable to me). I do on some degree agree with the fact that he killed only "bad" humans.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
I don't know what I thought of this at the time that I first read this book, it was so long ago and I have read and reread the series so many times since then so I am blinded by my memories of Eclipse.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
They have finally both admitted how much they love and need the other and Bella knows almost all of his "deep dark secrets" so there is nothing left to hide and now both of them can be themselves.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?that Carlisle tried to starve himself

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?I was surprised that he did that. I thought that it was good choice regarding that it's his natural food source.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!Maybe in about a year.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?He knows that he doesn't have to keep his secret from her.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Post by beemarie »

All of it. I mean, it was all just amazing. It just shows so much about Carlisle's character, and the rest of the Cullen lifestyle.

I mean, I thought it wasn't like... oh good job. It was understandable. But I liked how he chose bad humans. It made me a little "happier." It just amazes me how much love blinds you.

Eclipse. Sorry everyone.

Everything is out in the open. He never has to hide anything from her again.
Well.....
~Bee Marie
CharmingBella
Settled in Forks

Post by CharmingBella »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? That Carlisle tried to starve himself.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I was not surprised by Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time. I think it is fairly reasonable to believe that not all vampires had the willpower that Carlisle had.
I think that his choice to only kill bad humans was a good one really, if it had to be a human, why not feed off criminals and murderers.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! I don't think it will take Edward very long at all to get a bed, I mean eventually Bella will probably stay over and he would probably want her to be comfortable.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? I think when he showed Bella what he looked like in the sun, and she didn't shy away from him, I think that is what allowed Edward to feel like he could be free with her. She didn't pass judgement and she wasn't afraid.
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

That they didnt need to breath. LOL. I am such a human. I remember reading it and I thought really? No breathing Huh? Interesting.

It seemed reasonable. And hunting only the bad ones makes sense. It fits his personality.

Book # 3 haha. Very funny.

There are no more secrets
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

1- that he tried to starve himself.

2- i was like bella, its hard for them, so it made sense. i know that if i was a vampire i would do the same thing as edward and only drink from bad humans, but try not to at all.

3- he does finally get one, later on tho. i forget how long.

4-i think him telling her about what he is and how he felt on the first day. i think, and im not sure, that the chapter was when he tells her about the lion and the lamb, thats the first time that he says that he loves her.
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~they didnt need to breathe.

~its reasonable.. hes a VAMPIRE for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!

~nc. ive read future books.

~Theres no secrets anymore, so he doesnt have to hide anything.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

That they didn't need to breath. I didn't think that was possible.

I think it was reasonable I mean he is a vampire of course. His choice to only kill 'bad' humans showed that deep down he really was good =]

I already read Eclipse =] But I think it would be the first time there was a need for Bella to stay over at his house.

I think he was testing her fears and since she didn't seem afraid he allowed himself to let his true personality through.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I think more that they were capable of starving. The need to feed seems like it would be so instinctual that I can't imagine being able to resist.

I wasn't surprised. The awe with which he spoke of Carlisle's epiphany that he could survive on animal blood really showed how hard it was not to feed. His choice to use his need to feed as a way to mete out justice was certainly an interesting twist. But, it fits with his personality.

In keeping with answering these questions as if I haven't read beyond Twilight...Hmmm... I don't know. As Edward seems to like to spend the night with Bella, it follows that she might someday find a context under which she might spend the night with him. He would need a bed for that.

I think he truly believes there can be a future for them. For a few sweet hours, he is free from his angst and brooding about their future.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS