A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by 4everklutzy »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was surprised, at first, about them not needing to breathe, but then it made sense--they're not exactly living. What surprised me the most was Carlisle trying to starve himself and the lengths he went to to keep from harming others. It really shows his moral fiber and humanity.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I was actually a little shocked, but I understood. The thirst is a powerful thing and I could understand him "falling off the wagon." I appreciated that he fed from those who would harm others, trying to protect the innocent, but his innate morality made even that unbearable after a while. I'm glad that he went back to Carlisle.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Well, I've read all the books, so I know the answer to this one. Honestly, though, I didn't think much about this during Twilight. He spent so much time at Bella's and he was so doubtful that they could have that physical a relationship, that it didn't occur to me that they'd have need of one any time soon.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
One, Edward now knows that he can trust himself--mind over matter--NOT to harm Bella. He can be close to her and he has promised himself to maintain his self-control--she's too important to him to lose.
Two, Edward now realizes that Bella loves him and trusts him enough that she's not going to run off screaming. She accepts him for who and what he is and this frees him. He can be himself, without pretense and this even makes him euphoric.
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
Hmm.. probably the not breathing part.. I cant tell you how many times I have tried to imagine life without breathing lol. It seems so weird.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
It sounded reasonable.. the way he explained it. And I thought the whole "bad" humans thing was actually a good deed.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Umm.. Eclipse.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
The secrets were gone. No walls were between them.. they were just themselves, not hiding anything.

~Syd
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
1) That Carlisle tried to starve himself.

2)Not surprised - he is after all a vampire. I was fine with him doing the vigilante thing, sometimes it works better than the law itself.

3)I never thought he would get a bed. Of course that changed later. ;)

4) He realized that she really loved him and it did not matter that she knew he was a vampire. Also, love does that to people - vampire or human.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

That they don't have to breathe. This might have shocked me as much as Bella. It just never occured to me that they wouldn't.

At first, I was surprised. I couldn't imagine someone w/ his personality and beauty actually drinking from humans..even if they were bad. Then when Bella put her perspective into view that totally clicked w/ me when I actually thought about it. As for killing the 'bad' humans...at least they were bad. I guess he thought that saved his 'humanity' lol.

Lol...not fair b/c I'm answering these post the whole series. lol. What's wrong w/ the couch...ppl use that in real life. lol.

The majority of his family knows how he feels and they are starting to accept that. Also, Bella knows pretty much everything and she accepts it and has not run from him.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

I was definetly surprised the most by the fact that they don't need to breathe. I was surprised when I read that.

I was a little bit shocked that he actually drank human blood, but when I heard Bella's view on it, I was just as ok with it as she was. Bella was right, it is reasonable that a vampire would kill a human. Since Edward was "raised" a "vegetarian" he probably felt a little guilty about killing humans. I think only killing "bad" humans was his way of justifying his actions.

I've already read the series, but, the first time I read Twilight I didn't really think too much about Edward getting a bed since he spent nights at Bella's.

Edward has no more secrets from Bella so there is no reason for him to not be himself.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I liked the fact that they were harder to kill. Most stories; all you have to do was stab them in the heart. Which I thought was weird since the heart didn't work. I have never heard the thing about not having to breathe in any other vampire legends or stories, so it was interesting; though, not surprising. It makes sense though since they don't have a heartbeat to pump blood to keep the alive so there is no need for the lungs to breathe oxygen. Then it seems weird since vampires need to breathe in order to use their sense of smell that they rely on most of the time; I think. As for a vampire starving themselves by not feeding, it was strange that they couldn't die. But I also like that concept. I'm weird lol I know.

It wasn't surprising really. It is in the nature of vampires to feed on humans and as he stated in the book that he wasn't totally convinced of Carlisle way of life; I figured he would have probably have done something at least a short time in the long life he has had.I think him trying to kill only bad humans was showing that he still had a conscience, but he was struggling with what he was and trying to find his place in the new world. Then he found out that it wasn't worth it so he went back to Carlisle. :D

LOL To late to answer this one. But when reading the book' I knew he would eventually get one since I think the others have one for certain times. Edward had to cave for Bella so the could do the... well you know :oops:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
Maybe that she accepts him for what he is and he was finally realizing it. It is also that he was getting to know her and that also helps with the awkwardness.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Probably Carlisle trying to starve himself, and it only made sense that he would've degenerated into a more carnal state and killed the deer without ever thinking about it.

I guess it'd only be natural. Everyone rebels at some state in life. Of course Edward would try to only kill the bad humans.

In the movie it looked like he had a bed, buried under some other stuff. Granted I've read the whole series, I actually did not expect him to get one.

Either he decided to give in, or with Alice's warnings of visitors, he found it best to stay close to her just incase. Obviously she's drawn to him, and he feels comfortable enough to open up to her.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? That they're difficult to kill.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? It seemed only natural to me that he would, he is a vampire. And at least he only killed the bad people before they could harm others.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! umm I would think he won't. Especially since he told Bella that an intimate relationship between them would not be possible.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? I think it's partially because here Bella is learning all this stuff about him & his family & she should be frightened but she's not. She's there with him and he knows that she cares for him too or she wouldn't be there. Also he's finding out more about her & the more you get to know someone you get to be more comfortable around him.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

That they're difficult to kill, everything i've ever read or seen in a movie about killing a vampire was wrong

No every 'teenager' acts out, i thought it was a good choice

I'm gonna say june 13 2006...timelines i cheat

He knows Bella loves him for who he is not just how he looks
**Kathryn**
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

That Carlisle tried to starve himself. I figured that they were difficult to kill, and it just seemed so crazed that Carlisle would go to such strengths to try to kill himself, so revolted by what he'd become, when he's such a nice character.

I was a little surprised, but not overly shocked. I didn't think it seemed reasonable; more that it seemed understandable, given how he has obvious difficulties refraining from his bloodlust, that he would have a period of drinking from humans. I thought his choice to drink only bad humans was almost admirable; granted, his way of dealing with them wasn't the best way possible, but he tried to satisfy the thirst driving him mad and rid the world of evil, possibly saving innocent people at the same time. It was kind of a tribute to his character, as opposed to just going out and madly draining every human he saw. Even satisfying his thirst, he tried to do some good.

I didn't stop to think about it; if I had, I supposed I would have figured he would never have got one until/unless Bella moved in with the Cullens when she was turned.

Bella has finally seen Edward in his own natural habitat of sorts, and met his family; he is keeping nothing from her anymore, embracing that she might not run and scream, and how happy he is not to be keeping secrets from her. He's just much more carefree, letting himself relax for a few hours and be happy and peaceful.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~