A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
That Carlisle was so appalled by what he had become that he actually tried to starve himself to death, was the most surprising to me. It takes a really strong character to try something like that.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I already figured that he had tasted human blood even before he told her. It's in his nature, and most young people go through a period where they rebel against what their parents believe in. The fact that he killed only the bad humans, was not surprising either. He was trying be as good a person as possible even when he strayed, and so he would not kill anyone innocent. That he chose to come back to Carlisle shows what a decent person Edward is, and that he wanted to do the right thing. And he is very set on not letting Carlisle down as well.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Well, having read the other books, I already know..But at the time, I really didn't think about it. He had the couch...

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
First of all, I think it is due to the fact that they had declared their love for eachother. There was a whole new level of trust between them. Second, he had found a way to be around Bella without killing her, he was actually kissing her at this point. So he could let his guard down a bit more and relax in her company. And he also saw that Bella wasn't as afraid of him as she probably should be when he showed his true self. I loved the scene where Bella tells him that he's not as scary as he thinks..."You really shouldn't have said that"..I shows a very playful and carefree Edward.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
that they are very difficult to kill since i grew up loving buffy/angel

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
i was thinking along the both lines that what was you thinking but then it turned to yeah it is understandable its what you are but the fact he only choose bad people means they is some good in him even when he tried to be evil

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
well i joined this forum after i read all the books but i didnt think he would get a bed

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
that he believes that she wants to be with him and he doesnt have to hide from her
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

It surprised me most that you couldn't starve them. They don't seem actually..alive..?? and don't have a heartbeat, they don't need oxygen, why should they breathe?? What would they do with the air? It makes sense they are hard to kill, but it's surprising how long they can go without eating, and how that does no good and just makes them crazy with thirst.
That was surprising, but it did seem reasonable, he felt guilty killing them though, and was trying to do good killing the bad ones..it made me sad that he killed them though, I would rather he hadn't hurt anyone. We all rebel against our parents some time, he came back though, just like the rest of us.
haha..I never really thought about it, unless Bella ever moved in or stayed there OR... ;)
I have a futon in my room and a bed, sometimes I sleep on the futon and it's perfectly fine, I don't see anything wrong with a couch..but....and I've already read all of them so I know he gets one.

He's not keeping anything from her, he knows she loves him and doesn't care about anything else and he knows that they can be close to each other physically, there's no more secrets and he can just be himself.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

Absolutely that Carlisle tried to kill himself. I mean looking at who he is now, I was like OMG I cannot believe he tried to do that!

I wasn’t surprised. I was more with Bella. It made sense. And it made sense that he would start to feel guilty about it. So I was like whatever. I think he had a God complex, but he admits that he did.

I think that it would take a while. I think that if it was one of those things where Bella is involved in the decision she’s gonna be like no. Why would you need to get a bed? You don’t need to sleep. She’d think it was ridiculous. And until she stays there, there really is no reason for a bed.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
She’s met most of his family, and they accept her. And even then, he knows Emmett will accept her so he’s comfortable. I think if Esme and Emmett had been dead set against it, then he wouldn’t have been so open.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

A combination of Carlisle's efforts to starve himself and how difficult they are to kill, because they are related. If a vampire doesn't even die when he tries to starve himself, they must be very hard to kill.

I wasn't as cavalier about it as Bella was. It was strange to think about Edward with red eyes & even though they were bad humans, they were still people. I can, however, understand a need for rebellion as most teenagers go through that phase.

Well, having read the whole series I know exactly how long it will take ;). When I first read Twilight I actually didn't even think about it. I mean, Bella has a bed & Edward spends most nights there so it's not like they lack for, ahem, space.

Bella became more of a part of his world. She now completely understands the majority of what makes him different than a regular guy -- including when he was Bad Edward. She's met his family & they approve of her. He's in too deep to hide anymore!

Image Image Image
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? none of that surprised me from other vampire tales these are pretty common. I was glad to find out that they couldn't simply STAKE themselves to explode into a pile of ash!!!

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I probably would have been a little shocked until he said that he only killed people who were about to hurt other people. To that I say good for him!!

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! I didn't really think about it.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? He's aloud himself to revel in there connection at last. After months of denying that this girl was "THE ONE" he's finally excepted that and it allows him to be himself with her.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? I think I was surprised that Carlisle tried to kill himself and all the ways he tried.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I figured that he had killed human before, I think I was more surprised that Carlisle had not killed a human, than I was about the fact that Edward had. I think it is so Edward, that he would only kill "bad" humans.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! I can't answer this one, because I have read all the books already. I do think I was surprised by how long it actually took.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? He seems to be more sure of himself that he will not hurt her, that he can control himself. He even says it in the chapter "Mind over Matter". He also knows that Bella accepts him for who he is. She loves him and he knows it.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

I wasn't as surprised with the vampire stuff as much as I was a out Carlisle's past. I found it really hard to put the book down after that part. Sure they didn't need to breath and all that was totally cool, but I liked the fact that Carlisle was included here.

Reasonable. I wouldve freaked if it was still like that, but I thought it reasonable.

I thought "oh, what a shame!" but I was jumping outta my seat in eclipse!! :lol:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around
her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them
that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
I think the meadow scene and whatit did for their relation is what helpped him open up.
Betting on Alice.
zeri95
Settled in Forks

Post by zeri95 »

Definitely that Carlisle tried to starve himself. The way Edward talks, you get the feeling that vampires have a very strong sense of self preservation.

Well the fact that it was only people who wanted to hurt other people doesn't make it as bad but I still wish he hadn't. It's great that he saved a lot of people in the process, but still they are humans and there are other ways to deal with them. (like jail)

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask.
Of COURSE he gets a bed! Where else is Bella gonna sleep when Alice holds her hostage? Duh! Lol but I guess that's not fair because I've read all the books. But I never really did think about it in Twilight. I was like "Well yeah he's not gonna have a bed, he doesn't sleep." And he never had a reason to before Bella ;)

"Mind over matter." Edward finally realized that he loved Bella way too much to want to kill her, and he trusted himself not to after that since they had been alone in the meadow for several hours and he knew that he would be able to "enjoy the bouquet while resisting the wine."
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

That Carlisle tried to starve himself, it made me realize that he knew what he was, and he thought it was wrong, so he had to die. I'm glad he didn't, though... :)

I thought it was reasonable. He's a vampire, after all. And killing bad humans was a way to see it, but I'm glad he's a vegeterian now. I feel sorry for the ones that have to die.

What? :?:

That Bella knows what he is and accepts him. It makes him see a possibility of them being together, and well the boy is really happy! He's been waiting for Bella like a century!
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan