A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by misskiley »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was surprised by the first two.. I assumed it wouldn't be an easy task to kill a vampire. I knew that SM had basically rewritten the vampire myths, so I tried not to bring my previous assumptions about them when reading this. Only Carlisle would try to starve himself so he wouldn't have to drink human blood.. lol

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
Only Edward would be able to kill the bad humans, because of his mind reading.. I was surprised to learn he did leave and go kill people.. bad or not, but when he explained the story behind it.. it made a lot of sense. If someone turned you into a vampire and told you not to have the one thing you wanted.. of course you'd try and go against it.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
haha.. the only reason Edward would get a bed would be for Bella.. and since Bella is in high school and slumber parties aren't really that cool at that age.. I imagine it will be awhile! There's always Bella's bed though ;)

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
He's in his enviorment.. everyone is more comfortable at home. Plus he doesn't have to hide or put on a show for everyone.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

1.We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

The breathing thing. The way it was told, like we just throw a bomb on us... :) But the fact that Carlisle try to kill himself with starvation, when you take time to think a little bit, is really more impressing.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

The fact that he abstain from to human blood without have tasting it weren’t as impressinig. I take it as he has made a real choice. The fact he only kill “bad human” seem for me a way of get away the guilt. Even when he chose to be a vampire and hunt on human, he needs an excuse to do it.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

I’ve already read the saga in French, so... :)

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

There’s no more secret or boundary between them. He knows to that she isn’t frightening of him, not since she almost ran in his arms in the morning. She hasn’t run away and screams as he fear. He knows he is able to resist to her scent and he is in his territory... His own room. And I think the fact that she have already meets his family, the part that accept her, may have lift a weight from his shoulders.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was surprised that they are difficult to kill. I mean I was like Bella, I thought SM's vampires are like the stereotyped vampires. A stake through the heart, holy water, the sun, the silver, the cross, etc. etc. In other vampire stories even a human can kill the vampires with this kind of things but with SM's world it is impossible for a human to kill vampires. Even their fellow vampires are difficult to kill, there is just one method, by tearing them apart and burning the pieces.

Shocked at first. But after I come to think of it, it is rather reasonable. You have to experience something to learn from it. I know that from the very beginning under Carlisle guidance, he taught Edward the other alternative but still he chose to go the different way. There might be no excuse to what he did but in the end he did feel remorse for those dark days.

Not that long!!! I thought before the end of the book but I know somewhere along my reading it will come up. :lol:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
Of course he already confessed his feelings and his true nature right at the meadow so Edward has nothing to hide anymore. Plus the fact that they were at the 'Cullen's territory', I remember in the Twilight movie (not sure if its also stated in the book) Edward says "This is the one place we didn't have to hide".
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
HarryTuttle
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by HarryTuttle »

Agree with everything you said.

Not all vampires are the stereotypes of sucking blood and having fangs but there are some in the world that can suck energy out with electric powers in their mouths. Anyone seen the movies "Lifeforce" and "Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter"? those feature vampires of the fangless and more energy draining kind that don't need to be supernatural or the kind that burn in the sunlight nor allergic to garlic and holy objects.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Carlisle trying to starve himself. Edward made it sound like it was very hard to even try to do so.

I loved that he chose to kill only "bad" humans, but I was shocked. I did feel that it was logical, but it took away some of his 'perfectness'.

I don't think he will get one at all. It isn't likely that he lets Bella come over to sleep, since he already made it clear he doesn't want to be to intimate with her.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
Everything is already out in the open, so he wants to be himself around her, not pretending any more.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which is the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
Finding out Carlisle was desperately trying to kill himself by not eating was saddening to me. And now seeing what he has done with his new life is amazing.

I was a little bit surprised, but at the same time it seemed reasonable. He was 'born' into the veggie lifestyle, and he wanted to try something different. Carlisle doesn't seem to think any less of him for it at all, and that he killed "bad" humans, to me, made the whole he trying the new diet a little better, knowing he isn't killing a successful person who has done nothing wrong.

I'm sure one will appear in there sometime. Bella will probably want to have sleepovers with Alice and where would she sleep all the time? The floor? The Cullen's would not allow that over a couples times of her doing it. :lol:

He is in the comfort of his own home and family and 'kind'. This allows him to relax because he is out of the eyes of the humans he is usually surrounded by with Bella.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I suppose it was the lack of body processes.... breathing just being one of them. It was honestly the first time I really thought about the biomechanics of vampirism. How do their bodies stay mobile if they are truly stone? What about the blood? Clearly they digest it some how. It was the first chapter that raised more questions than it answered.

I was rather like Bella in that Edward's rebellion seemed natural to me. Maybe not reasonable, certainly. But, it made logical sense. And also, without sin, there would be no redemption. Edward clearly thought himself a monster. It was an ease of the mind to find out why and to see his thought processes. As for his choice to kill only the "bad", well, that's a very slippery slope, to use the popular phrase. Edward gets his chance for redemption. What about that of the people he killed. But, on the flip side, it shows a certain... regard for human life. Even in his disregard for it, it was a grey area.

I abstain on the grounds that I already know the answer. :D Truly though, at the time, my reaction was one of pity. There's something lovely about snuggling up in a horizontal position, even if just to relax. Throw in the one you love, and you have the makings of a truly wonderful rainy afternoon. To be honest, though, I knew he'd get one eventually.

I believe Edward arrived at the conclusion that there were enough reasons for him to stop running. Once he decided he could at least try to be with Bella, and knew and understood truly that she wanted him while fully understanding him, that he could take the chance. Plus, I think he realized that, while he'll always be tempted by her, that he's stronger than the beast within.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

The most surprising is that vampires in Stephanie Meyer's world are difficult to kill. In most vampire stories, its a simple stake through the heart. However, Carlisle trying to starve himself does show how noble and loyal he is. He rather find ways to kills himself them live off of humans as a vasmpire. It surprising how compassionate he is towards himans even after what kind of a man Carlisle's father was. You would think his father's coldness would of rubbed off on Carlisle even a little bit.

No I wasn't surprised given that Edward does have a dark and rebellous side to him even now. For as long as any given vampire lives, no matter how sweet the vampire is, it would be even more surprising if any vampire never tasted human blood. Yes I agree with Bella in thinking that this seems reasonable. However, I disagree with Edward when he says that "he can't escape the monster within him or the debt of the amount of life he has taken." Of course this goes with my thought that Edward does not see himself clearly and he isn't aa "monster". I mean he killed bad human and saved a lot of frightened girls in alleys. That should count as a good act..not a monstrous act.

This question is answered in eclipse... but I think that he the events of new Moon didn't occur as they did (I am trying not to give any spoilers away) they Edward would have probably had a bed in his room for Bella sooner.

I think it's because everything about him is out in the open and not one detail of his life and existence has sent her running for the hills.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

That Carlisle tried to starve himself... I find it sad that his initial reaction to becoming a vampire was wanting to commit suicide.

Nah, I wasn't surprised. It's pretty normal, considering that he's a vampire. I liked his idea of only killing "bad" people, though... It made him seem more noble.

When he and Bella get married... Hehe.

Now that Bella has met Carlisle and Esme, he now doesn't have to worry about his family disapproving, so now he feels even more free.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I don't think any of it was surprising exactly. I was more interested in finding out why/how Carlisle became the animal blood drinker he is.

I was surprised. I guess I had felt that his feelings of being a monster were unfounded, especially since he did only drink the blood of animals. And, since his vampire father was the first of the compassionate vampires, I assumed that Edward had always abstained from human blood. So I was pretty shocked, for that. However, I do understand why he wanted to explore a bit, and maybe he did feel that he was doing what he could for the world by going out and preventing murders. After all, he did have an advantage over the human police whith his mind reading ability.

You know, I didn't even think of it.

I think that it's simply taken a while for Edward to feel comfortable around someone as much as he does with Bella. He has spent some time sharing with her and that must have helped. After all, it's been a while since he's had any sort of real relationship with a human -- and back then, he was human himself. So he has had to take time to understand her and also to realize that she isn't afraid of him and that he can be more open without scaring her off -- even though part of him does wish that she would leave in fear, for her own safety.