A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by Tornado »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
That they were difficult to kill. I was still thinking standard vampire models.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I think I went along with Bella, at least at first. Later on, I thought I probably should have been a bit horrified.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Again, I've read the whole series, so I already know! I don't know if I thought of it originally. After all, he spends every night in her room. The bed may be small, but they seem to spend a lot of time together in it.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
The realisation that he's strong enough to resist the urge to kill her.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

That Carlisle tried to starve himself.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I was not surprised that Edward drank humans, it would be hard not to try it at least once while being a vampire. I did find it reasonable. I didn't mind that he killed bad humans just like I don't mind Dexter killing bad people. ;)

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

Who says you need a bed? :lol:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

He is getting to know Bella and he wants to be open with her. In any relationship you want to open up and get to know each other.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

Probably that they didn't need to breathe, though none really surprised me. I figured they'd be difficult to kill; hearing so much of Carlisle's story, it made sense that he'd hate it enough to try to starve himself after trying other ways of killing himself; but I hadn't even thought about whether or not they'd have to breathe.

I thought it was reasonable. He is a vampire after all, it's a base instinct; and he was a killer of killers, after all. He tried to be moral and protective as he could. I he'd been killing innocent people, it would've been a different matter.

It made sense that he'd get one. I didn't know when.

I think it's that they've finally started to be honest with each other. They know the secrets and they're completely understanding of how the other feels. That honesty makes for openness.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]