Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Re: Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by Kate »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?

I like it! That lovely place all in white tone was so refreshing! So luminous! So far away from the usually crypt! It was intriguing too, because we know they have few uncommon things, like the place where they forge false identity… As everything in the house seems so normal, where are they? I felt in love with the description of the exterior of the house. It seems so romantic and intimate! :) Lost in a lovely meadow… :)

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.

They where so nice, move slowly and leaving space to be sure not frightening her... They were trying really hard to make her felling well… And really thoughtful when they let them together…

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?

Yes. As Bella seems to be so appealing to vampire and danger, it gives a good clue on what will come.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?

As Edward is able to joke with Charlie about the fact that Bella isn’t the kind who usually goes play baseball and he’s in a house he often visited by night… And Bella have to meet a family of vampires, in a house she doesn’t know... A family of vampires with Rosalie (good idea to take her away for the presentation!), who have clearly shown not being very open to the idea of having a human being aware of their secrets... I think Bella is the most nervous.

And I think Edward was most nervous to present Bella to his family than being present as the “boyfriend”. His family know what Alice saw… It is more significant. And she smells so good… :?

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

My first thought is that its very "homey". All glass and near the forest, very secluded. One look and you wouldn't believe that vampires live there.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I thought Esme was lovely. Very warm and very accepting about Bella. I love the interaction between Edward and Esme, she acts as if she's really Eward's mom. Carlisle as always was gentle and very compassionate. They're a lovely couple, the type wherein you would be at ease from the very beginning.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
Kind of! I always knew that the non vegetarian vampires will be the cause of trouble for Edward and Bella's new found love story.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
Bella, she worries about everything.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
fi_fi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

I loved it, and still do. So light and airy, high ceilings - beautiful! I'd love to live in that house (and not just because Edward is there!)
Oh, and I LOVE Carlisle's cross! And his room, full of books, and Edward's room, full of music. Perfect!

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens (other than Carlisle) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I liked them, they were warm and welcoming. It also made me realise the closeness of the family - despite the danger (of exposure) that her presence puts them in, they are willing to welcome her into their home - they must really love Edward.

Hmmm. It's hard to remember back to my first reading, but I don't remember having any fears that the visiting vampires would pose any particular risk to Bella.

Hard to decide. Edward must be more confident - he knows how to be polite, and what Charlie will be expecting/hoping for. I think Edward would be more nervous of Bella meeting his family than for himself meeting Charlie. He will be worried that Bella will be scared - as he says, he is waiting for the 'running and screaming'. Bella is nervous of making a good impression - she already knows that Rosalie doesn't like her, and the danger she is putting them in if Edward does end up killing her (though by this point I didn't think that was a real danger- mind over matter and all that). I'd guess that Bella is the most nervous, as she has no idea what to expect, whereas Edward's fears have been there all along - his fear that she will eventually react as she 'should', get scared and run away.

Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Since it was in a place which was hard to find, I found it natural that it would be light all over, the vampires not having to hide. It sounded like a beautiful home!

I thought they both were very kind, especially Esme.

I figured something would happen with them and Bella.

Bella. Edward can simply hear why a person wouldn't like him and then (if he wanted to) change what that person doesn't like. Bella is just who she is and knows that Edwards family probably is not to happy with her.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I found it to be very pleasant and open.

I liked both of them a lot, but I think I liked Carlisle much more because he was the backbone to the family and yet so very nice.

I actually didn't think much of it to be honest.

Bella, only because of how she was raised. Meeting a bunch of Vampires would make me a tad nervous as well. Being approved by them is another story. I'm sure Edward was a tad nervous as well.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I was surpised at how the house had white wall and a lot of glass windows. Also there was a cross on the wall! I mean that is the exact opposite of what you would think a vampire house is. When you think think of a vampire house, you think very dark, gloomy, no windows, definitetly no stakes. Maybe a few coffins. The house seemed warm and welcoming which contrasts the Cullens who stay away from society (except Carlisle). It would be so fascinating to be Bella and to walk through the house seeing all the ancient things that they collects throughout their hundreds of years of living.

I thought Alice was so adorable and sweet. Esme and Carlisle seemed like the perfect parents being so sweet and compassionate. I love the histoty of Carlisle at the end and wondered why is wasn't mentioned in the movie.

I think that I just brushed it off.

Bella was more nervouse and I think it's partly because she doesn't have as good as a relationship with Charlie as Edward does with Carlisle and Esme. Another part of why she was nervous is she is very self-conscious.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

It sounded really pretty! I liked it a lot.

I liked them a lot. I already liked Carlisle from before, and Esme seemed really sweet.

I already knew about the disaster, so it wasn't a surprise to me at all...

I think that Bella is more nervous. Edward is used to pretending to be human, and he's good at charming the right people. Bella, however, was meeting a large family of vampires, that, for all she knew, could have wanted to kill her. She wasn't sure how they would react to they would react to her being human.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I thought that the contrast between having an older home but with a lot of natural light was interesting. Personally, I don't like a lot of natrual light in my home, but that's me. *shrug* When I saw the movie, I was disappointed at how modern the house was -- not at all what I pictured from the book.

I liked them a lot. They seem to have it "together" more than Bella's parents. No issues with distance or ditzyness here. :) Esme seems like a kind, warm, welcoming person. Carlisle has his act together, but is also very kind and welcoming to Bella.

I could tell that something was up, that was for sure. I was interested in seeing what more "typical" vampires would be like, and I was concerned for Bella's safety.

Edward knows that his own family will be very happy for him (except for Rosalie), but he is worried about passing for normal with Bella's dad. Bella, on the other hand, is concerned with how her dad will take it and is also nervous about fitting in with Edwards unusual family. So, I guess Bella is more nervous.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

That it was big and that you could see the inside clearly from the outside.

I thought they were lovely and caring.

Yes. You don't set something like that up and not have it go anywhere.

I think that they are equally nervous but for different reasons. I think Bella is already aware that she wants to join this family, so their acceptance is very important to her. Edward is scared that she will be freaked out by a house full of vampires that have lived for hundreds of years (collectively) and that it will be the end of their relationship.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Huge house that had an open feel.

Charming

I didn't think it would go like it did. Wasn't sure if they were going to be like the Cullens or not.

Equally nervous. It's both there first time in a real relationship that means something.
Banner by TammyAZ