A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by Gochiruzeru »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Not really. He's a vampire, so that's to be expected -- I would have been surprised if he really was the same age she was. And to be honest, he's not as old as other vampires are... By vampire standards, he's still very young!

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
He doesn't want Bella to know how vampires are made because he doesn't want her to want to become one as well. He hopes that by keeping that information away from her, she will keep quiet about those desires.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

Hmm... I'm honestly not sure what abilities Bella might possess. She may be one of the vampires who don't have any particular abilities. That's a very interesting thought...

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

This actually did creep me out. I don't really understand why he would watch her sleep... That's just a tad weird to me.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think that he is able to control his thirst if he keeps a distance, but if he were to get closer to her, he wouldn't be able to control himself. I think they're two different things. And yes, he is trying to protect Bella again -- he doesn't want to get too close in the fear that he'll hurt her.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

No. I already knew that Bella was his first relationship, and I knew that he hadn't had anyone previously.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Not really creeped out. After all, he could have been from the middle ages for all I knew.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

I think he is afraid that she will ask to be turned.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

I don't remember what I thought the first time I read it.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

Neither. Somehow, the usual rules don't apply to Edward in my head.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think he is afraid to trust himself because he isn't sure. He also admits to being a virgin, so he doesn't know how carried away he would get and he doesn't want to take a chance with her in that way. He would much rather wait -- even forever -- than kill the only woman he's ever loved.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

I got it right from the start that he was just as innocent. After all, he admitted to not having a relationship and seemed to disagree with those who had sex for sex's sake. Plus, he was an unmarried young man close to the turn of the century, when premarital sex wasn't as accepted. Also, he wasn't interested in Rosalie, hasn't been near human ladies (at least not that near), so who else is there?
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No, he doesn't act that age. He acts like a teenager, at least in some things. A teenager with some maturity.

I probably originally thought it was about fear, but later information proves that he doesn't want her to know because he doesn't want her to become a vampire.

Yes, it is possible that she might not have any special trait at all. As I have read all the books now, I know that she did, but originally I don't know that I gave it too much thought.

It should have creeped me out, just like it should have creeped her out. But, as I said before, love is blind.

I think he recognises that that kind of proximity would be more of a risk, especially as it would probably lead to a loss of control on his part. He is certainly trying to protect her, but it is a wise move.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Yes, he says there's one thing they have in common. He says this straight after him asking her whether she is a virgin. When she objects and says that she's just told him that she is because she's never been in love, he says that he knows love and lust don't always keep the same company. She says that they do for her. It's then that he declares that they have that in common, so it seemed pretty cut and dried to me that he was a virgin too.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

No since vampires live forever. In my opinion he was just a wise 17 year old. ;)

Don't think I thought much when I first read the book

I didn't think she had a trait but always wondered why Edward couldn't read her mind.

No, I never got creeped out about that. In fact I felt it was his way of watching out for her so nothing could ever hurt her since he finally found the one person who completed him.

I think he is being honest with her but a part of him wants to be with her but yet he is not sure if he will ever slip with control.

I wasn't aware that others didn't understand that yes he was as innocent as Bella.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

I wasn't creeped out, I found it very interesting. I love the backstories of all of the characters. The fact that he spoke in 'older cadences' and all had sort of hinted that he'd be pretty old.

So that Bella wouldn't start considering becoming one herself, I think. It's not what he wants for her. Also, he wants to shelter her, and the process of becoming a vampire is very graphic.

It's hard to answer that question, knowing her trait already. I figured she'd have a special trait; if I'd thought about it hard enough, I guess the hints were there that it would be something to do with her being very privately minded.

I think it would have been creepy, without the supernatural elements. You have to keep in mind that he's a vampire who can't sleep, with a fixation on one human girl who's thoughts he can't read. Once you get past that, you can get past him watching her sleep; it's not the most shocking thing. Considering his reasons, I guess fall even harder; he did it with the most innocent of intentions.

Both. I think he finds it very difficult to be so physically close to her - he can feel her blood under her skin, and he knows that touching her and feeling her blood puts Bella in a lot of danger, if his restraint was to slip. The easiest way to avoid that is to not have a physical relationship. I don't think he's being entirely honest with himself, though; he doesn't give himself enough credit for his restraint, and he doesn't have any confidence in it. If if did/had, it might have encouraged him to try for a relationship.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Oh no, I knew he was being honest. He came from a time when couples were chaperoned; in his human life, he wouldn't have had the opportunity. And he spent too much time in his vampire life being full of self-loathing for his bloodlust, and also being sort of scornful of humans for their thoughts. There's no way he'd want to get close enough to anyone to try to be intimate.