A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
i wasnt really creeped out. i mean, he's a vampire, what'd ya expect?? i was facinated and cool with it all.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
he doesnt want to scare her...as always... :roll:

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
BEFORE I READ BREAKING DAWN...... i thought it could've been something like esme: to love passionatly for those she cared for... made sense to me! ....

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
i was like "can you say stalker???" :lol: 8-)

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
a mix of both...im not really sure with this one....

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
is that a trick question?? ;) :lol:
Betting on Alice.
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
Not really, most vampires are really old

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
No duh he doesn't wan't her to become a vampire

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
If she became a vampire I don't think anyones powers would work on her

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Um Him watching from outside doesn't creep me out but the fact that he started watching her sleep inside without her knowing is really creapy

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he's saying it because it's what he thinks is right

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I didn't think he had before after all he was only 17 when he was changed
Emmett_Pwnz_All
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Emmett_Pwnz_All »

Edwards human age: DAAYYYYUMMM!!!!!
Human history: AWHIES :( I felt sooo sad. And I thought he must've had major depression.
Creeped out about age: Not about age, but about him, yeh.

Because if Bella knew the process, she would try to endure stuff like that as practice or something so when she was becoming a vampire she'd already be prepared for the pain.
Or he didn't want sympathy :D
My opinions, given very shortly.

Well, before I read Breaking Dawn, I thought if Bella was a vampire she would have the power to make illusions of stuffage :D

Creep me out.

He was lying to himself and trying to give Bella one last chance to go to someone else.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
As innocent as Bella :D
mimiishinlove<3
Image `; [mimimccarty<3 lubs kellmett and the medic droid<3] Karl=TwiGuy#1Mimi2=TwiTwin! :D
OMEEEE ILY GREGORYGORGEOUS<3
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

[I figured he was going to be really old. I wasn't creeped out at all. Anyway, he's seventeen forever, and he's beautiful :D

Well, I've read a part of Midnight Sun, and I think it's because of Alice's vision of Bella becoming a vampire. Edward doesn't want that for Bella, so he doesn't want her to know very much about how to become a vampire because he doesn't want her to get any ideas.

Well, it's said in Breaking Dawn.

I fell even harder for him. Bella didn't found it creepy, so I couldn't concentrate on if it was creepy or not.

Both. He's always trying to protect Bella, so he's being honest with himself and with her.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I totally believed him. Actually, after this question I'm starting to wonder... But no, I'm sure he was telling the truth.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

The vampires in these books are a lot different then others, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect with age.. At first it did seem kind creepy that he was so much older then Bella.. but after learning about him, he's not like a creeper or pervert like most guys.

I don't think he wants Bella to know all the details, because he does not want her to become a vampire.

It could be possible for her to not have a trait.. but my guess would be that she would have a special gift that helps her defend against other vampire gifts.. She is the only one who Edward can't read her mind!

EVEN HARDER! Like I said.. Edward has prooved that he's not a weirdo creep. He is a protector.. and plus, who doesn't love a good sleep talker. lol

He does say though, that any amount of time that he is away from her, the craving for her blood is a lot worse, he's not as "desensitized". I think he's trying to protect Bella AND being honest to himself. Having coitis,.. you give your mind over to your senses.. you're not clearly thinking everything through and he needs every ounce of self-control not to accidently crush her.

TOTALLy innocent! He is such a gentleman and old fashioned.. I'm sure he takes things very slow.. Plus, I don't think he'd lie to Bella.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Really? You want to know my first thought? “Actually, he is older than her Chevy!”. :)
I like his human history; it’s related to what I teach in school… So, it makes him more lovable to me… :)

At first, I think he was uncomfortable talking about it. Then, he has that odd look after explain the power of Alice. I may have miss some obvious thing in that book, but THAT, I get it at the first time… :)

I’ve already read Breaking Dawn in French, so… Next question, please? :)

Both. Somehow, I find it incredibly appealing and at the same time… I pick a look over my shoulder to be sure that it impossible for a vampire to hide in my room…

Again; both. At this moment he know he can hold her in his arm, but he have to fight is instinct. He doesn’t know how far he can go without put her in danger. At this moment he thinks he cannot be pushed that far.

I believe Edward on this subject.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
fi_fi
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

Again, trying to remember back to first reading, and pretending I haven't read NM, Eclipse, BD and MS:
To be honest, I remember being surprised that he wasn't older (as a vampire) - I'm also a big Buffy fan, so am used to the whole 250-year-old-boyfriend thing. He's 17 forever - what's to get creeped out about?

He didn't want her to know, to put ideas in her head about becoming a vampire herself. At this point in the story, she hasn't thought about or mentioned the idea of being changed, and he doesn't want her to.

I didn't even consider this the first time I read the book, and I'd already read Breaking Dawn before I re-read Twilight, so moot point really.

I knew that it should have creeped me out, but I was already falling pretty hard. Not sure how I would handle it in real life, but the idea of Edward watching her sleep is romantic.
And having read Midnight Sun, I can't fault him!

I think he means two different things. He's able to control his thirst for her - mind over matter, but he has no idea how he would react to an intimate relationship with her - as he says, he doesn't know if he would be able to control his strength. I don't have the book on me to give a direct quote, but it's something a long the lines of "I could reach up to touch your face and end up crushing your skull by mistake."

I 'got it right from the start', as you put it. It didn't occur to me that he would be lying to Bella - again, i don't have the book with me to be sure, but I remember him being nervous as he asked her if she had been with someone. Surely, if he already had, it wouldn't be so much of an issue for him? I'm not usually so easily persuaded in real life, but I pretty much believe most of what Edward says.
(My Gods, I sound like a school girl in love for the first time - I'm really quite grown-up and responsible you know.
No, honestly, I am. I run my own business and everything. My brain just turns to mush around Edward. It's wonderful to feel 16 again - one of the reasons I love these books so much!)
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I wasn't creeped out, I just found it very interesting.

I felt he didn't want her to even get the idea of becoming a vampire herself.

I don't think it is possible she wouldn't have a trait at all. But, I wouldn't have a clue as to what her trait would be.

It made me even fall harder. I found it very sweet.

I think he's being honest, both times. In normal contact, he's sure he won't hurt her. But with something so intimate, he's afraid it would be to much to handle.

I just didn't think about it. I believed that he really never had had a relationship with anyone before.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

No creepiness about it. I found his story kind of sad.

Because he wanted to keep the idea out of her head of it being possible of her becoming a Vampire by stating it is nearly impossible for Vampires to stop once they tasted human blood.

I'll answer by 'forgetting' Breaking Dawn: I wouldn't think she would have a trait that would be all that important. Maybe the lack of being affected by gifts focused on the mind would pass on...but that's it. It would only benefit her protection.

Yeeah...it still creeps me out. Love the person or not, supernatural creature or not, it is not right to be sneaking into someones house why they sleep...And the way they made him admit it in the movie made it creepier. O.o

I think he knew what he was talking about. Getting to that intimate stage causes a human heart to beat faster with arousal therefore I would think it would be much more difficult for him to control himself. :3

Being from the century he was born in and how much of a gentleman he is, I don't think he had any real relations until Bella because he was ill and dying at the appropriate age for marriage anyway back then.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I thought Edward's human history was interesting. As for the age thing, no I didn't find it creepy because in any vampire love story it is something that you need to overlook.

He doesn't want her to get any ideas about becoming a vampire or try to become one behind his back.

Well this question is revealed in Breaking Dawn, but before I read that book I honestly didn't think she wound have any. If I had to guess, it would be super clumsiness. ;)

When I read how Edward says that he watched her sleep, it sounds okay to me, but any other time I think about it I do find it creepy. I know that I am in the minority on this, but watching Bella sleep without her permission is one of the things Edward does that I find inexcusable. Besides, where you sleep with and who you choose to share your bed with is such a private thing. Also, by listening to her sleep talk he is kind of getting to know her the wrong way because when she does this she doesn't get to choose what is reveal to him. Bella has a right to be awake so that she is able to choose what things she tells Edward and what things she keeps to herself.

I think a little bit of both. I think he was trying to set up boundaries for Bella on what he can and can't not handle. I also think that a part of him wasn't being fair, because he knows that he can not stay away from her, so an intimate relationship is inevitable later on.

I had a sense that he was a virgin but if you think about it, that really is kind of surprising for how old he is. It's very sweet and noble that he waited to the the right one. However, since there was a time that he didn't think he had a soul mate, it's surprising that he didn't have a one night stand with a female vampire just to know what sex feels like.