A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by beemarie »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I was kind of expecting it. I mean, he is a vampire after all.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
The vision of her. He doesn't want that future for Bella.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Something about her mind. Haha and in Breaking Dawn... :D

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
I wasn't creeped at all. I was truly flattered. I fell even harder, which I thought wasn't possible.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
He is being honest. I mean, he would never EVER want to hurt Bella, so if there was any possibility of her getting hurt while they were being intimate, he wouldn't do it, as badly as he wanted to. I mean, would you want to put the love of your life in danger in any way?

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Just as innocent. I can't see it any other way.
~Bee Marie
xbellaxedwardx4evax
Settled in Forks

Post by xbellaxedwardx4evax »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Not at all, even though he is 100 and something years older than her he still has the mind of a seventeen year old, it wouldnt creep me out.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

He doesnt want her to get too interested or intrigued by the process of becoming a vampire because of Alice's vision of Bella being one of them in the future.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

lol, i really wouldnt have a clue, Bella has so many special traits in her personalitie, if she does change than she would be a pretty special vampire. :D

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think he is being honest with her, his desire for her is so strong it's lethal, but i think he would be able to control his thirst because the desire to keep her is stronger.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

I thought he was innocent right from the start, he's just too nice of a gentleman.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

i wouldn't be creeped out at all, if he watched me every night i wouldn't sleep, i'd want to stay awake with him every night, yes it definitely made me fall for him alot more than i already had.
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

No, he was frozen at seventeen.

I dont think Edward wants to give Bella any ideas about it LOL. Especially since it not an easy process.

Well, I read Breaking Dawn. So I cant answer this now because I know.

Oh my..lets see. It did not creep me out. I was too hooked on the story. Now if you said, Mike was watching her sleep..then I would say Creepy! So yes I am biased.

Kissing and hugging is one thing. Being intimate is different. I think he is being honest, he is trying to protect Bella.

I did not think about it to be honest.
manderz9511
Settled in Forks

Post by manderz9511 »

1. Not really, I mean, isn't it to be exspected that he is older than her, I reilized earler in the book that he had to be at least 100 years older so when he turned out to be 104 or something like that it didn't come as a shock, if he didn't have at lest a hundred years of not drinking human blood, the way Bella's blood smells to him, she would have been dead that first day. I didn't think that he was dying though, when Carlsile turned him, that was a shock.

2.Well, it must have been a hard exsperence, some thing that if I'm right, in the first book he explains as very, painful. It's not hard to except that he wouldn't want to talk about it to much.

3. No comment, read Breaking Dawn.

4. When I found out that he was watching her sleep, I was like "Edward can you come to my window" Edward is Edward, no other character in that book could get away with some thing like that. If Mike, or Tyler, or Eric were watching her sleep it would be creepy, but it's Edward and nothing Edward does is creepy.

5. Both, he is being honest with himself and he is protecting Bella. He wants it just as bad as anyone else, but he knows his limits and he knows what he could do to her if he loses control while doing something like that. He is protecting Bella from himself and he is letting himself know that if where to be with Bella, there would be now possiblity of that.

6.I got the impression right away that he was a vergin, that wasn't a shock, I mean he did grow up in old times so he is bound to have old fashoned morals. But this little peice of information made me fall harder for him.
seniortwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by seniortwilighter »

Alphie wrote:1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
Nope, watched too many Buffy/Angel stories :D Seriously, I thought he had to be at least 80 because of his manners (probably makes no sense but I understand it :) )

He didn't want her to know (or get curious)

Read BD, but seem to remember thinking it had to be something to do with Edward not being able to "read" her

Didn't creep me out (my husband did that when we were first married ahhhh) just fell even harder :-)

I think he believes that he cannot always be totally in control.

Just as innocent once I realised his age.
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

I'm used to vampires in stories being older than that. So no. I wasn't creeped out by his age.

His mind is so much larger than a human mind. She may not have thought of the implications of their relationship--that there were few alternatives for their future. But he had. He didn't want to scare her or to give her ideas.

It would be possible to not have any traits. But we know from BD that's not true.

I think it was a little...not quite creepy but would put me on guard. The movie seems to make it much more creepy.

Edward's mind over matter is relative at this point. Being close to her and even some kissing he can handle. But you can see that he still struggles a bit at times--especially when overwhelmed/surprised. But he has the willpower to control himself and stop even if Bella doesn't want to.
At this point in the story, though, do I think that he could keep a grip on his instincts and strength if he gave himself over to completing their physical relationship? Honestly, no. I wouldn't be confident in that. And as overly-careful as Edward is, I'm sure he would feel that as well. So in that I do think that he is being honest with himself.
Later, in BD after everything that he and Bella have gone through, he knows his limits better. He knows her better. And he has even more control. I think that's why its possible later.
Is he protecting Bella? Yes to that as well. And himself. If he unintentionally caused Bella harm it would destroy him. He would never forgive himself. It would literally kill him. So there's not way at this point that he's going to take a chance on losing her for something so relatively minor as physical gratification. He's denied himself that for 100 years already.

With all that we are used to seeing with vampires in the movies, I was surprised that he was so innocent. But I didn't question the truthfullness of what he told Bella. He was too genuinely relieved when she admitted to being innocent as well. :)
Team Edward
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ no i expected him to be old.

~so she would not beg to be changed.

~ive read BD already.lol.

~ made me fall way way way harder for him.

~i think hes honest and protecting her.

~hes innocent!
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I thought is was a little strange at how old he was. I hadn't realized that they lived for so very long but I guess I should have known. I wasn't creeped out at all. That's just his age in years. His physical age is still 17 the same as Bella.

I think he doesn't want to scare her and also doesn't want her to get any ideas about asking Carlisle. He wants her to be human.

(I am trying to steer clear of Breaking Dawn here.) I think that she would probably just remain and mental mute and not really have a special talent.

It makes me fall so much harder for her. It's not like he is being perverted or anything. He is simply obsessed with her safety. He loves her too much to let anything happen.

I think both. He is being honest in saying that he doesn't have the self-control and in turn that is protecting her from getting hurt. He is willing to give her whatever she wants so I think he tells her he has less self-control then he really has to avoid the conversation.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I think he is telling the truth. I believe he has never had a serious relationship before because he knew exactly what he wanted (Bella) and wouldn't settle for anything less. He would never lie to her about such a serious matter. That being said I'm pretty sure he's had his fair share of women vampires fawning over him and didn't resist as much as he could have ;)
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I think it is fascinating. It was clear from the beginning, in how he speaks and conducts himself, that Edward is an old soul. Just turns out that it is literally true. I find it very intriguing how he might view the insanity of our world today. No, I don't find it creepy at all. Bella has always seemed so much older than 17 to me anyway. Age is a number. Maturity is what matters. That being said, Bella's age makes a difference. If she'd been, like a 14 year old freshman, I might view that a little differently. But, Bella is an adult and has been for a long while in all the ways that matter.

I think he's honestly bothered by her fascination with it. He fears that he might one day turn her and he doesn't want the idea any more out there than it already is.

It certainly is possible that she might not have a special gift. But, given that we know she is the only person Edward has ever encountered who he cannot read, I think that will play a part. She will have some sort of mental protection of some sort. (Yes, I thought this even from the beginning. I am answering accordingly :) )

I didn't find it creepy. I find it oddly comforting to watch my husband sleep. So, I could understand the fascination. Clearly, if he'd wanted to hurt her, he would have done it. If he meant her any harm at all, it would have happened already. I think he was using the time alone with her to figure out things in his head, without being distracted by her silence or her crazy thoughts.

I think he's trying to protect her from himself. He knows he could hurt Bella if he lost control. And, no offense to any of the XY set, but most men aren't in the best of control in those moments. Edward is still, after all, a man.

Given what we find out about Edward's history, I absolutely believed he had never been in a serious relationship before, let alone been intimate with anyone. Edward seems to be a true gentleman, and that type of relationship without marriage just was not done in his time.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

I was very interested in where Edward came from and how he was "made". I wasn't surprised or creeped out about his age--he told her he'd been 17 "for a while"--but he was made at 17 and kind of frozen at that age. While he is very educated and knowledgable, he is in may ways still 17--a very mature 17. Bella is also a 17 yr. old who is very mature for her age.

It's not a pleasant memory for him, but I think he didn't want her to get any ideas either.

I've read BD, so I won't spoil this for those who haven't read it, but I distinctly remember wondering if Bella would have a power were she ever to become a vampire. It seemed likely and I thought it would have something to do with how her brain worked differently. I did think that she seemed ideally suited to becoming a vampire though.

I thought that it probably should creep me out, but Edward is a gentleman and I think that he was genuinely curious about Bella and trying to figure out what she was thinking and what her attraction was for him. It's also not uncommon for a person to watch someone they love sleeping--I've watched my husband and I used to love to watch each of my children sleeping--trying to figure out what went on in their little heads. Granted, the kid thing is different, but it's love and intense and protective. Edward might have some of that protectiveness causing his "visits" too.

I think that he's being both. He doesn't know what that experience is like and how he might react so he doesn't know how much control he would have. He's worried, not about thirst so much as he is about his physical restraint--he might "break" her. He's going to protect Bella at all costs because he couldn't bear anything happening to her, especially if HE caused it.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I always thought that Edward was as innocent as Bella. He was born in a very different time when virtue was the rule not the exception and he was raised to be a gentleman. Also, he was only 17 when he was made, during a time when people, like his father, were dying--not a time for frivolity or licentiousness. Furthermore, Edward never noticed or reacted to anyone like he does to Bella--he's drawn to her for a reason. If he had, he'd have remembered. I really liked that they are on equal ground on this front, experiencing first and true love together.