A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by futurevampire »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I just thought it was kind of interesting, it explained a lot about him. It didn't creep me out, they're both seventeen!!
2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
I figured it might be kind of complicated and he didn't want to scare her, or it would be very hard for her to become one..plus he doesn't want to give her any ideas.
3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
..I kind of already know..BD..but I figured she would have one, it would be something with the fact that Edward couldn't hear her, her mind being protected and everything..or some other cool talent, I thought Stephenie couldn't just give her nothing.
4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Fall harder!! I thought it was so cute how he snuck into her house every night just to watch her sleeping..so romantic.
5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he's being honest, he doesn't think that would ever be possible, and he does want to protect her. It's not so much that he wouldn't be able to resist her blood, he thinks he's getting better with that, but even if he can do that, he is too strong and doesn't want to hurt her.
6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I never even considered that, there is no way he would ever have done that. He says himself he is just as innocent as her, they have that in common. He's only seventeen, and although that might not matter as much today to some people, back then things were way different and he's too much of a gentleman anyway. That would ruin the whole story.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

I didn't really think anything of it -- which, now that I think about it, seems strange. I guess I really think of them as being essentially the same age. I didn't think it was creepy at all -- Edward has had more life experience, but Bella is old for her age.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

Well... after having read The Book That Shall Not Be Named, I know that he is worried because of Alice's visions... but I really think he didn't want her to get any ideas about her future.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

Well, I've read Breaking Dawn so... this question is easy. She would be able to protect others' minds from scary mental talents.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

Um... creeped me out a little (from Bella's perspective). It's one thing when she invites him to stay the night but it's weird that he snuck in.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think he's being honest with himself. It's one thing to control yourself in regular moments, or when kissing. It's COMPLETELY different to try to control yourself when you're otherwise distracted!

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

I understood it from the beginning. Although, as discussed elsewhere, I don't think Edward is as innocent as Bella b/c he can read minds & lives with a house full of sexually active vampires ;)

Image Image Image
AnnetteandEdward
Wandering Through Town

Post by AnnetteandEdward »

Edward was a virgin - he was brought up to be respectful and was very serious about it, he believed in being married before. He did dream of having a wife and family but he wanted to join the army and be a hero and that was foremost on his mind at that time.
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

I never looked at Edward and thought he’s 100 and some odd years old. I could see the way he looked when he talked about Carlisle saving him. I could see the far away look in his eye. I understood what he was feeling. I was never creeped out by it.

I think talking about the transformation would make it seem real that there was this thing between them that would prevent them from being together totally. The transformation is what made him unable to love her in a physical way.

I thought about this a lot when I read the book. I honestly thought that Bella wouldn’t be special. I thought she wouldn’t have a power. I thought if she did have a power then it would have to be protecting her mind. Tell me how surprised I was.

I fell so hard for Edward at that point. When he says don’t be ashamed. If I could dream, I’d dream of you. I was like putty in his hands.

When I first read the book, I was like he’s just protecting Bella. Then the more I thought about it, the more I considered the what ifs. I know how I get when I’m “otherwise distracted” as Edward puts it in BD. And I thought that yes he could lose complete control. It’s a realistic challenge for him.

He was innocent. There was no doubt in my mind to the other choice. I think that he was raised in a time where you didn’t get into those kinds of relationships unless you wanted to make a commitment. He held on to that thought. He had to be completely innocent.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
IloveAliceCullen<3
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by IloveAliceCullen<3 »

I didn't get into a shock or something, and in other ways he is as old as Bella is. They haven't had a lover before, so the age thing is very subjective I think.
I felt sad for him about his parents, but like he said; memories of humans fade so he don't remember them well. And he has Carlisle and Esme, I think they are his parents, even if he wasn't giving birth through Esme. They are his parents.

Because he knew Alice saw Bella as a vampire.. I think he thought if he said something about becoming a vampire, she want to be one. I think he thought he could change the vision Alice had if he wouldn't tell Bella about it.

I thought Bella was able to convince people by let them things see they aren't real. Like manipulating the thoughts and show they how it is (things that aren't true).
But I like the shield thing. I always prefered defence above attack.

It was so cute to me. I wish he would stay in my room for a night, watching me sleep. Or someone else, the one I love! And when I read Midnight Sun I fell, I fell for him as he watched Bella sleeping.
The first time he's in her room and she mumbled his name and he thinks she is awake, is my favourite scene!
I like the whole "falling in love with a human?-thing" in the chapter "visions" too though. But my heart melted when he was in her room and she talked about him in her sleep!

I think he first mean he was able to control himself if they weren't as close as Bella meant later. And sure he's protecting Bella too, he always is. But he said when Bella asks "because it's hard for you to control yourself?": "yeah, that's another reason, but I meant you're so breakable and fragile."
So I think he thought he was able to control himself in a relation like that, but she's too little, too fragile.

I think he isn't a boy who act like that. I think he was honest and he never had sex before.
I can't imagine Edward as a boy who act like that.
Damon and Elena, there is definetly love between them.

"There hadn't been butterflies in her stomach, there had been bats."

Damon's POV~ I will be I swear Surrender

rapid_reader1 is the best VFF ever!
Bearfan
Settled in Forks

Post by Bearfan »

What I Really wanted to know, it's the part where Edward and Bella in the Twilight Movie, were in Edward's bedroom for the first time. She say, "what are you listening to?" She turns up the music, it plays. Panio is coming out, Edward says something like "DeBeuce" and Bella says, "Clara Loonins is great." Is that what she actually says for the person playing that slow panio? Is it actually available to buy in stores or is it made up for the movie? Can someone let me know? :shock:
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Edward says Debussy, who was a French composer who died in 1918..wow, coincidence or not? :). And the song is Clair de Lune. I found it on a CD but that's with a Norwegian pianist. I'm sure it's available in multiple versions. It's a beautiful song. Oh and by the way, if you have other questions it's probably wiser to ask them in the Q & A topic, since I think more people will read it there.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Bearfan
Settled in Forks

Post by Bearfan »

Dovrebanen,

Thanks for your answer, I have the DVD and even on surround sound, it is hard to understand. It was driving me nuts because I even had other people listen on the DVD and coudn't tell what was said, much appreciated and I have taken note. :mrgreen:

Tracy,
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? No I wasn't creeped out. I had assumed by the way Bella said he talked that he was at least that old.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? He doesn't want her getting any ideas

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? Honestly I really hadn't thought about what her ability would be until I read BD.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? This did not creep me out either Stephenie did such a good job of making me fall in love with Edward right along with Bella that I felt flattered that he was as obsessed with her as she was with him.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? I thought he meant he was more worried of hurting her because he is so strong if they were to be intimate. I think after that first kiss the only reason he pulls away is so he doesn't get carried away physically.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? I thought he was telling Bella he was as innocent as her. No one ever interested him in that way and he's to old fashioned to use a woman that way.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? I think that all of his years, prepared him to be able to love Bella even though she is his personal brand of heroin. With out all of that practice and knowledge, he would have just killed Bella and they would have never have found true love, and we would not have our story to read over and over again.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? IMO because he does not want her to start asking to become a vampire herself.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? I never really gave much thought to it. I guess I would have to say something regarding that Edward can not hear her thoughts.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? Fall even harder, he could never creep me out.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? I think he truley thinks that he can not lose control with her. He is always very controlled when he is with Bella, even when they are close. So to get "closer" he is afraid that he will loose that sence of control. I understand how he could think that.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? I figured he was just as innocent himself.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."