A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 13 - Confessions

Post by Kat_Mac »

The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
I think for Edward, it's admitting that he initially wanted to kill her. He's tried to push her away before, but admitting it in such a way was probably difficult for him; they'd grown so close, and she could quite rationally run and never look back at hearing that. He didn't' want to push her away, just to be honest with her; even as a part of him knew that if she did run, he'd lose her for what he'd said. That's a big sacrifice to make, for honesty. Bella's is explaining the depth of her feelings, knowing that he pulls away every time she says something that hints at them. To tell him she'd rather die than be away from him is about as big as feelings get.

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
I've already read it on Stephenie's website! I liked reading about his time with the Denali's, and more about his mind reading abilities.

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
Oddly, I think Edward's humanity is best displayed when he's running with her to the car. Even though he's showing her a supernatural ability of his, the fact that he's relaxed enough to want to show her, and to want to show off a little (as well as how excited he is about it) just seems like a very human, teenage thing to do. For Bella, I think it's her understanding and compassion of everything he says, even down to him admitting he sort of plotted her murder. She looks past the supernatural to feel empathy for her, and that seems a very human emotion compared to how a lot of the vampires are kind of fixated around themselves and how they come across, or what they're doing/trying not to do.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
Every time that they manage to touch. Edward has literally jumped away from Bella's touch before, and now he's the one initiating touch, by listening so closely to her heartbeat and wanting the warmth of her skin; and Bella just spending her time tracing every feature. It's the first time they've finally got to just physically appreciate the other, and the fact that it's done so gently strikes very romantically to me.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Chapter 13 - Confessions

Post by TwilightFan87 »

The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
I think probably being how open is about everything..about his abilities and his desires. On Bella's part, probably admitting how much she likes him..?

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
I've read it before and re-reading this section makes me want to read it again. I think the part I really want to re-read is the fight amongst the siblings about whether or not to leave Bella alive!

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
The humanity of Bella when she finally grasps how dangerous he truly can be and Edward's when he tells her he's not sure how to be human..about the other hungers he has.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
Whenever they take turns leaning into each other..he's listening to her heart beat, memorizing it, and she finally gets to snuggle up to him!