A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 13 - Confessions

Post by funkidiva »

1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
For Bella its that she confesses she would rather die than not be with Edward. She shows her vulnerable side by this. For Edward its that he thirsts for Bella's blood and cannot promise that he wont hurt her. He doesnt want to but he cant promise. He has spoken aloud just how much danger Bella is in and has beared his soul to her.

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
Everything! Just more of what Edward felt/feels about the whole torn and new situation he is in.

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
That they love each other despite how unconventional and how dangerous the situation is. They cannot bear to be apart and fight/ignore the feelings they have towards each other

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
It is such a lovely chapter and full of romance. I like the quiet still moments especially when Bella is leaning on Edward's chest and he has his arms wrapped around her. Such a relaxed, simple, precious, loving, normal moment. Its the fact that they have made physical contact despite the danger.

I adore this chapter and the wway it is written. The explaining and opening up their hearts to one another, the way Edward shows his strength and vampire side to Bella and the way Bella just deals with it all as as far as she is concerned she has no choice but to accept it as she cannot even think about not being with Edward, depsite the danger etc. Its lovely to see Edward opening himself up to her and explaining everything truthfully, nothing held back. Such honesty is fantastic. The meadow itself sounds beautiful too and the perfect place for such tender, sweet, honest moments.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
fi_fi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
Bella's confession of her insecurities, "I was wishing I cold believe you were real..". Even more than confessing her love for him "I'm here.. which roughly translated means I'd rather die than than stay away from you.", though I'm not sure if Edward understands that - that she can't believe her loves her - can't understand why he would.
For Edward - I think the most meaningful confession, from his point of view, is showing her his 'inhumanity', the way he sparkles, his speed, his strength, admitting that he's "the world's best predator". And of course, his confession about her special appeal to him.

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
Oh - all of it. But especially the chapter before this, when he's questioning her - why he asks the questions he asks, what he thinks of the answers - although Bella tells us what he asks, she doesn't tell us her answers. What he thinks of her never having had a boyfriend. And what he means when she's tracing her fingers on his arm: "You can't imagine how that feels." - How does it feel Edward?? I want to know!!

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
Hmmm, good question! - think I'm going to have to re-read it again and come back to this one.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
When she's tracing her hands on his arms. His gentleness after he runs away, the way he's so careful not to scare her again. When he holds her - when she touches his face, then holds him. There are too many to choose from!
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Bella saying she's there, which means she'd rather die than stay away. It shows that she already loves him.
Edward saying that she has a very special appeal to him, not like other humans.

When he left. Where did he go to and what was he doing?

That they both can't stay away from the other.

Where Edward tells Bella to sit very still and he touches her.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

1. The chapter is entitled "Confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
Bella's confession of her insecurities; "I was wishing I could believe you were real..." Even more than confessing her love for him; "I'm here...which roughly translated means I'd rather die than than stay away from you." I'm not sure if Edward understands that - that she can't believe herloves her - can't understand why he would.
Edward - I think the most meaningful confession, from his point of view, is showing her his 'inhumanity', the way he sparkles, his speed, his strength, admitting that he's "the world's dangerous predator". And of course, his confession about her special appeal to him. (Thanks Fi_Fi, that hit it right on.)

Well, since I couldn't help myself and read the leaked copy Steph posted on her website, I really enjoyed reading what she had of the rewrite. It really puts the book in a whole different perspective and tells almost a whole new story. I really hope she rewrites it and gets it published. *crosses fingers* But, I am really interested what his perspective is once James enters the scene. :D

~That Edward is able to feel human emotion for Bella shows he is more humane then he ever thought he could be. As for ~Bella, she realizes her life hasn't been the greatest for her, with her family matters, clumsiness, and being a danger magnet, she probably realized that humans can be put in all sorts of danger, and that they are very weak.

When they cuddled. Edward was comfortable enough to allow close and physical contact with Bella showed a lot of self control and courage and trust.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I think for Bella is was when she told Edward "I rather die than stay away from you." For Edwards it would have to be admitting how much her blood lures him.

I already ready read the partial draft of Midnight Sun. I am waiting (and hoping) for Stephanie to finish it. When she does, I am looking forwards to reading this chapter in Edward's point of view!

The way the are expressing their feelings to each other.

The kiss, the way they carefully were touching each other, and when Edward said "Don't be afraid" when he misread Bella expression after he went a little out of control. All of these are my favorite romantic moments in this chapter.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Bella confesses her love in a much deeper way in this chapter, telling Edward that she'd rather die than stay away from him. Edward, on the other hand, confesses what happens when he gets into sunlight as well as other secrets of his vampirism, completely exposing himself to her.

All of it! But in particular, I'm interested in his accounts of the Tyler's van incident and the Port Angeles incident. I'm also curious about why he watches Bella when she sleeps...

Edward is able to feel emotions that he thought he couldn't feel: happiness and love. I think that best shows his "humanity"... Bella has these feelings too, but as she actually is human, it's a given. Edward thought that he could never fall in love because he was a "monster".

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb..." I thought that quote was really cute. :3
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Edward -- Showing her what his skin does in the light. Also revealing just how much he is tempted by her blood.
Bella -- The depth of her feelings for him.

The moment when he decides to go for it, to be part of Bella's life. Also, meeting the friends in Alaska.

The way they handle temptation and danger. Bella's blood, breath, and beating heart play a role here. But Edward reveals his flaws, even joking that he is "only human."

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb..."
"What a stupid lamb."
"What a sick, masochistic lion."
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think her most meaningful confession is that he means more than life to her. I think his is the confession that he wants to take her life. He's fully aware that she should run away at this point, and I believe he is hoping that she will, so that she will be safe. However, he loves her so much that he doesn't want her to do that. But he's giving her the chance to because he cares for her so much.

I've read the draft, so I think I've read all the bits he mentions.

She is truly afraid, and his is very vulnerable.

When he holds her.
Last edited by Tornado on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

-I just finished my re-read of it but since I'm fairly new to the forum it inspired me to slow down and really read it thoroughly...I've always loved the scene in the meadow because you can really see them fall in love.

I love how Edward is just so..open with her about his true nature. It's a whole different side of Edward than we're used to seeing (I got into the series around the time Eclipse came to theaters, so I've read the last 2 books in the series more than the first two) and it was refreshing reading a different side of him. I'm so used to seeing him as the overprotective boyfriend..not as the cautious gentleman he is in the first two books.

I've only read the first part of Midnight Sun and I'm still debating if I'll go back and finish it..it's so addicting and it makes me so sad that Stephanie never finished the series.

Bella finally sees Edward for who he truly is, so she is afraid..but willing to risk her life for love. Edward finally comes clean about how hard it is to be around her because she is so tempting, but he loves her more than he wants to kill her.

When she's running her fingers over his face, touching him for the first time. There's something so quietly romantic about that, I love that. Very sweet.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

As soon as I read that title, I thought yes this is going to be an intimate conversation. When Edward says " You are the most important thing to me now. The most important thing ever."

I look forward to reading all of it. I love hearing what Edward is thinking. He is such an interesting character.

Bella knows she is a fragile human compared to what Edward is but she knows that Edward would never hurt her.

There is so many in this chapter. Bella tracing his skin on his arm, them touching each other in a gentle way, both of them realizing how much in love they were at this point.
Banner by TammyAZ