A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 12 - Balancing

Post by desire4vampires »

1. What are Billy and Jacob's feelings towards Bella?

Billy must know that Edwards is a vampire so when he told Bella "take care" I am guessing he meant "watch out for the vampires" because he is worried. Jacob obvisouly has a crush on Bella and wants to be more than friends.

2. Charlie says he's aware that he leaves Bella alone too often, and Bella responds that she doesn't mind beign alone. She further adds that she's a lot like Charlie. In what ways do you see them as being alike?

They both are shy and have trouble expressing emotions. Both are independent and both are outdoors people.

3. Edward's questions continue and today he asks Bella about people: family and boyfriends. Why did he save those questions for the second day of questioning?

I think this is because it's more polite to start with light questions when you are trying to get to know someone. Then you can work your way to more personal questiions.

4. Why do you think Edward wrote the words "Be Safe".

He wrote it because Bella is accident-proned and he isn't around to keep her safe.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Billy thought that Bella was making a mistake in getting close to the Cullens -- I don't think that Jacob cared as much, but he probably was concerned that she had a boyfriend, since he was interested in her in that way as well.

2. Charlie says he's aware that he leaves Bella alone too often, and Bella responds that she doesn't mind beign alone. She further adds that she's a lot like Charlie. In what ways do you see them as being alike?

They're both very independant, and they don't get into each other's business very much. Both of them are a bit socially awkward, and they seem shy towards each other.

3. Edward's questions continue and today he asks Bella about people: family and boyfriends. Why did he save those questions for the second day of questioning?

He probably saved those for the second day because he didn't want to seem too personal too quickly.

4. Why do yo think Edward wrote the words "Be Safe".

Because he knows that Bella is very "accident-prone", and literally wants her to be safe.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Jacob is friendly but does have a crush on her. Billy is concerned, because he knows the truth about the Cullens, but of course he can't say anything.

They are both rather quiet, and neither of them likes people to meddle in their lives. They also both do the job they need to do, and that's it. Bella isn't quite as distant as Charlie, though.

Perhaps he wanted to get to know her in the more usual way, where people talk about less deep things, first. I bet he doesn't have much opportunity to get to know someone in a typical fashion.

I thought that he knew something as out there and was worried. I also thought he might just be worried about Bella because she's klutzy.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think they like her, and I think Billy is concerned for her safety because of Edward.

2. Charlie says he's aware that he leaves Bella alone too often, and Bella responds that she doesn't mind being alone. She further adds that she's a lot like Charlie. In what ways do you see them as being alike?
They are quiet, studious types. They don't go out of their way to seek attention. They internalise everything, including their feelings for each other.

Probably because those were slightly more personal. He wanted to get the rest out of the way first.

Because that is his overwhelming desire for her.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Billy is concerned for her safety and Jacob's is a crush, he likes her more than a friend.

2. Charlie says he's aware that he leaves Bella alone too often, and Bella responds that she doesn't mind being alone. She further adds that she's a lot like Charlie. In what ways do you see them as being alike?

Quiet, keeps their thoughts to themselves.

They had more time than just the ride home. When discussing family it can take a long time plus he wanted to know about her past boyfriends. I bet he was surprised how the answer only took a second. Bet he wasn't expecting it to be that quick.

He knows how fragile she is and when he is away he worries that something can happen to her that he can't either prevent or stop from happening.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

Billy is glad she's home, for Charlie's sake; he's also protective over her, likewise, for Charlie. I think he likes Bella, he's just realising that she's not the child he knew; she's grown up, and she has a lot of secrets that no one else knows. At this point, I'd say he's becoming a little on guard around Bella, wondering what else she might know. Jacob has a crush on Bella, flat out.

They're both quite quiet and reserved in social situations. They have the same dry sense of humour, and the same ability - preference, sometimes - to cope alone. They're both very independent and a little head strong.

I think he wanted to build an idea of her in his head of the basic things before the conversation turned a little more serious. He already knew a fraction of her family situation - Renee and Phil - and sensed that it was more sensitive of a topic; plus, already knowing a little bit about that would take a backseat to things he had no idea of. The previous questions were niggling things he'd have already known with anyone else, that were bugging him; the second day questions were more intense as he'd had time to think about what he wanted to ask, now that he already had some answers. Also, it was a way to keep the world to just the two of them; discussing potential ex-boyfriends would shatter the illusion of it just being the two of them in the world, hiding in a car from the rain.

He's all too aware of Bella's track record in the safety department! It's as relevant as anything. He wants to remind her to do that, and I think a part of him wanted her to know he'd be thinking of her.
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

Billy is glad she's home, for Charlie's sake; he's also protective over her, likewise, for Charlie. I think he likes Bella, he's just realising that she's not the child he knew; she's grown up, and she has a lot of secrets that no one else knows. At this point, I'd say he's becoming a little on guard around Bella, wondering what else she might know. Jacob has a crush on Bella, flat out.

They're both quite quiet and reserved in social situations. They have the same dry sense of humour, and the same ability - preference, sometimes - to cope alone. They're both very independent and a little head strong.

I think he wanted to build an idea of her in his head of the basic things before the conversation turned a little more serious. He already knew a fraction of her family situation - Renee and Phil - and sensed that it was more sensitive of a topic; plus, already knowing a little bit about that would take a backseat to things he had no idea of. The previous questions were niggling things he'd have already known with anyone else, that were bugging him; the second day questions were more intense as he'd had time to think about what he wanted to ask, now that he already had some answers. Also, it was a way to keep the world to just the two of them; discussing potential ex-boyfriends would shatter the illusion of it just being the two of them in the world, hiding in a car from the rain.

He's all too aware of Bella's track record in the safety department! It's as relevant as anything. He wants to remind her to do that, and I think a part of him wanted her to know he'd be thinking of her.