A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 10 ~ Interrogations

Post by misskiley »

1. How do you think Edward and Bella both did in trying to behave naturally around each other on the "morning after?" Was Bella too nervous or shy? Did Edward seem more open?
Bella seemed more guarded,.. I understand it though, because sometimes when people are so open the night before.. the next time you see them it's different.. Edward seemed more open/light.. trying to get a feel if things were the same.

2. How do you think Edward really felt about Bella's conversation with Jessica?
I'm sure he wanted to know more information and was pretty mad by Bella's distraction with Mike! I think he overall was pretty frustrated with the fact that he thinks Bella cares more for him when in fact it's the other way around.

3. Bella took a bite of pizza after Edward. Stephenie has told us that in that moment, Bella consumed a very small amount of venom. Does it surprise you that Edward didn't stop her from taking a bite or that he didn't react to it in any way?
I didn't think about it like that.. I'm sure if Edward thought there was a chance of danger of her getting hurt from it he would have ate the whole thing or atleast kept it out of reach from her.

4. They argue about who cares for whom more all throughout lunch. In your opinion, which one really does care for the other more?
I believe that if Edward was a human, they would both be equal in the caring for each other. But Edward isn't human. So I personally think its him. He's had 90 years of seeing so many things and the fact that he doesn't sleep, he's had so much more time to think about the whole situation.

5. Emmett prefers bears, Edward prefers mountain lions. Based on their personality, what do you suppose the other Cullens prefer to hunt?

This is such a hard question. I've pondered this one a lot and still have no idea!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

1. How do you think Edward and Bella both did in trying to behave naturally around each other on the "morning after?" Was Bella too nervous or shy? Did Edward seem more open?

I think Bella was nervous, but too nervous? She sat close by a vampire and the man she love… Indeed she’s nervous! :) Yes, Edward seems much more open… :)

Shock, he never believed that she’s so attach to him. He’s shock to that she believes that she loves him more than he can love her…

3. Bella took a bite of pizza after Edward. Stephenie has told us that in that moment, Bella consumed a very small amount of venom. Does it surprise you that Edward didn't stop her from taking a bite or that he didn't react to it in any way?

Probably he hasn’t think to it before… As long as he doesn’t consider physical contact, he probably doesn’t have think to his venom…

4. They argue about who cares for whom more all throughout lunch. In your opinion, which one really does care for the other more?

I can answer to this one. Bella is ready to die for him, to be kill by him. She even destroys herself the entire possible link between her and Edward before go to the meadow… And Edward… After New Moon, we know he ready to suffer hell just to be sure that she will be safe… She love him as a human can , and him as a vampire can… :)

5. Emmett prefers bears, Edward prefers mountain lions. Based on their personality, what do you suppose the other Cullens prefer to hunt?

Only Stephenie knows! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
fi_fi
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

Bella was understandably nervous, wondering if things would be the same - "Last night all the walls were down... almost all. I didn't know if we were still being as candid today." She realised the night before that she's in love with him, but he told her to "Never say that." - so she's nervous about letting her feelings show too much.
Edward doesn't seem to try to much to be 'natural', if you mean, as they were with each other before. But he does seem to show more of himself "...sooner than should be possible, he was sitting next to me, starting the car." - so in this way, I suppose he's being more natural - showing his true nature (or aspects of it) more.
And yes, he seems a lot more open, talking about his family's love of fast cars - "We try to blend in.", and one of my favourite lines from this chapter - "Hadn't you noticed? I'm breaking all the rules now." Also, he talks very openly about his mind reading.

Really hard to answer this one honestly, having read Midnight Sun - however, I shall try:
Ok, I've just re-read the lunchtime scene - Bella talks about "irritation wining out over amusement as the dominant expression on his face." And his questions to her - he does seem to be annoyed (not sure that is the right word) that she doesn't understand how he feels for her, that she thinks she cares more for him. But if I were in her place, I would have assumed the same thing, that it was curiosity at not being able to read my mind, rather than anything else, which kept his interest. Having read minds for over 80 years, I would have expected Edward to have a better understanding of the insecurities of people starting out in relationships -doesn't everyone think that they love more than they are loved?

Again, ignoring what I know from Midnight Sun:
I don't think Bella was in any danger - the venom needs to be in the blood stream to have an effect, right? And what could he have done? More lightning-fast movements, with the whole cafeteria watching? Forced/asked her to spit it out? It didn't surprise me that he did nothing, even after I knew he was poisonous.

Very hard question, and impossible to know the answer at this stage of the story. They are both experiencing their first love, and as we know from Stephanie, they are both experiencing True Love. As I said before, don't most people think they love more than they are loved? So they both think they love the other more - This is a very tricky question to ask with out talking about the other books. I give up!

VERY good question. I have NO idea!! Has anyone ever asked Stephanie? Is there an answer out there somewhere??
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I felt that now they were going to be honest with each other.

I think he was glad he heard what Bella thought. And frustrated by what she thought.

Knowing, that there was venom on the pizza, yes. He is overprotective in any way, so why let her eat his venom then?

Edward, for believing he would be able to leave if it is better for her.

No idea.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I think Bella was more nervous not really knowing if she should act casual around Edward to keep a low profile going with onlookers or if she should act more herself. Edward was Edward, but he appeared to be in more of an agreement with himself about Bella after he spilled the beans. :lol:

Well, I think it irritated him that she seemed oblivious on how much he cared for her. Taking it out of context of Bella acting casual about the conversation like it was nothing, really.

Although the venom has to be in the bloodstream for it to take any effect, if Bella happened to have a split lip or an opened wound in her mouth...I think there should've been more concern on Edwards side.

I think it is a stale mate. The only reason why it seems Edward cares more for her is the fact that he is capable of taking it to a higher level in having to protect her now. I'm sure if it was the other way around it would be interpreted the same.

Well, I think Jasper doesn't have much of a preference yet cause he is the 'newbie'. Alice I would think something graceful like a deer, Rosalie no preference, Esme and Carlisle I can see liking elk.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

Bella seemed contemplative and like she was happy to know something about him none of her other friends knew. Edward seemed to be maybe a little relieved that she knew and was actually there, showing him that this didn't bother her in the least.

Well as always, wishing he could hear Bella. But maybe not understanding how she could think/feel that way.

Not really as I think Edward was curious about it and Bella didn't probably even think about it or the consequences.

Its a toss up. Edward shows it as he protects her more, watches out for her even from a distance when away from her (which isn't that often). Bella IMHO, has been in love with Edward from the first time she saw him.

5. Emmett prefers bears, Edward prefers mountain lions. Based on their personality, what do you suppose the other Cullen's prefer to hunt?
I haven't given it much thought. Other than possibly Jasper & Rosalie which I believe it wouldn't matter to either what it was.
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

]Chapter 10 ~ Interrogations

Actually I think that they both seemed to have acted a little more openly with each other. They did okay, I mean they were talking still after the whole Port Angeles incident. Yes Bella seemed nervous at first but the went away quickly afther she saw the Edward was expecting her to ask him "twenty questions".

He was probably flattered, just upset that Bella thinks that he doesn't love her as much as she loves him.

It does suprise me, but if the small amount of venom was harmful to her, that he wouldn't of allowed her to eat it.

I think they care about each other equally its just at this point in the story (and really until Breaking dawn) Edward protects Bella more than she protects him.

Esme is reallty too sweet to be a vampire that hunts. I almost see her not wanting to kill anything. Maybe Carlisle takes blood to her so she doesn't have to see anything get killed.

Carlisle- an owl because it is the symbol of wiusdom and knowledge.

Rosalie- a rabbit because its small and she will not have to get her hands that dirty.

Jasper- a tiger because he would want an animal that will put up a fight. I wonder if Jasper's calming power's works on animals.

Alice- a deer because they are fast anf fun to catch.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Haha, I think they did pretty well, but there was definitely some awkwardness there, especially around the other kids at school. Edward did seem a bit more open than usual, but that's certainly a welcome change.

I think that Edward had some mixed feelings about Bella's conversation. On one hand, he was probably glad to know that Bella really "liked" him, but he was also upset about her saying that she didn't think he cared, when he knew that he did. I think that he cared for her in a lot more ways than Bella realized at that time.

I think it was a mere oversight on Edward's part. It just didn't occur to him that there would be any venom on the pizza at all. If he had known that, he definitely would have had that slice of pizza burned. XD

I think that Edward cares more for Bella, really. Not only does he care for her general well-being, but he cares for her humanity, too. He loves her, but he's concerned that she might become a "soulless monster" like he is.

I think that Alice would like to hunt deer, or maybe antelopes, but I'm not sure about the other Cullens, honestly.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I don't think she was too nervous at all. In fact, Edward might have hoped that she was MORE nervous, considering how he kept trying to tell her that she should be afraid of him. And yes, he was more open, yet also resigned in a way.

I think he was interested in the fact that Bella seemed so into him. And afraid, of course, because he didn't want to take any chance of hurting her.

I could see him reacting to it, but, at the same time it was a very small amount of venom (it would have to be, in order to have no effect). Also, I could see that he might not think of it, since it isn't like he's spent a lot of time trying to keep a human alive before.

I think it's fairly equal. If the tables were turned, Bella would be willing to protect Edward. It's just that this is out of their control. Bella's dream, a few chapters back, shows that she would fear for Edward's safety if there was ever a reason for her to do so. And yes, she would protect him. It just happens that, right now, she is the weaker of the two, and Edward has to worry about her safety. However, Bella views this as trying to push her away. And, in a sense, he is. It's just that he is doing it because he cares for her, not because he isn't into her.

Wow, I've never thought about this one before.
Alice-Some kind of cat, because she is small but has great agility.
Jasper-I have no idea. It took me a long time to really get a feel for Jasper, and sometimes I still think that I don't quite get him.
Rosalie-A deer, or something else that is beautiful but less agressive.
Esme-Rabbits or something else non-agressive
Carlisle-Owl, for wisdom.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I thought he was more open, and I could understand her hesitation to enter conversation with him immediately. I though they both did very well, considering the situation.

I think he was disappointed in her response.

No, that obviously means he knew it wouldn't hurt her, or else he would have stopped her.

I think they both care for each other equally.

Rosalie - bitches. Carlisle - probably nothing. Esme - same as Carlisle. Jasper - humans. Alice - feline creatures.