A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by corona »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
Bella’s hallucinations were a result of the great conflict between knowing deep down that Edward still loved her and believing Edward’s lie when he told her he didn’t want her anymore. Bella was justified in believing Edward didn't love her for two important reasons. The first was that Bella had issues with self-worth, and although she accepted Edward’s protestations of love she always had a hard time understanding what it was that Edward saw in her. The second reason was that Bella would have NEVER lied to Edward about her love for him, and so she could never envision a circumstance where he would lie about it himself. Bella accepted the lie because it made sense to her. Edward was leaving because he didn’t love her anymore; Edward didn’t love her anymore, and so he was leaving. Edward was interested in her once, fascinated with his inability to read her mind, but he was moving on now to pursue other distractions.

Bella’s epiphany isn’t just about Edward loving her, but finally realizing that Edward really would go to such extremes to try to protect her, even to the point of lying about his love for her. Everything finally adds up and makes sense, and something inside goes…Click!

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I think it is interesting that the two people most responsible for forcing this vote, Rosalie and Edward, are voting “No”. Edward is just purely in denial as all of his plans and goals lie in ashes. Rosalie is fixated on what she would want the most, which is to stay human.

Carlisle has no other logical choice. Edward’s actions have caused an untold amount of pain for the entire family, and he nearly got himself, Bella, and Alice killed. The Volturi are now fully clued in to the size of the Cullen family and their bonds and gifted members. Regardless of Aro’s motivations, they have actually been very, very generous, and the promise that was demanded was only in keeping with the laws that every vampire must obey. There is no other way. Edward’s desire to keep Bella human is going to get everyone killed.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
Not stunned as much as surprised when Edward shifted from asking for more time to proposing to her. Bella’s reasons for saying “no” may or may not be valid to her, but Bella appears to have been mostly caught off guard for the moment.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
Yes, she should marry him, they are both madly in love with each other. The exact timing of Bella’s change should be up to her, but the Volturi have extracted their promise so, tick-tock, tick-tock.

I think it is important to keep Edward’s marriage proposal in perspective as a logical development in their relationship and the storyline. In Twilight, Bella and Edward confess their love for each other. Here, at the end of New Moon, they have taken the next step and finally accept that they are mated with each other for life.

It is an interesting turn of events. Bella first forces Edward to accept the consequences of his actions, and then Edward forces Bella to consider the meaning of their committment to each other.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
Yes, Edward should be the one. I can’t picture anyone else.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Ina EssBe
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ina EssBe »

1.What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

I truly believe that Bella didn’t see herself as worthy of Edwards love. She saw him as Adonis, a godlike creature. Although not being like a typical teenager, I’m sure, she still had some teenage angst and self doubt. When Bella meets someone like Edward, an ‘angel’ as she's said, I can see how it was impossible for her not to wonder and puzzle over what it was that attracted Edward to her, an insignificant human, according to her.

2.How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning?

Edward’s vote was pretty clear right from the word go – he did not want Bella to make such a big sacrifice and he was going to do anything to avoid it (if I was in his shoes, I’d think the same way, even though I think he took some things way too far – but that’s a different conversation…).

What about Rosalie's?

I kind of had a feeling about how Rosalie’s would vote, but I was surprised by the reasoning behind her stance – I didn’t expect it to be at such a deep level. I thought it would be more grudge driven and NOT out of unhappiness with her fate (that’s when I started empathising with the lady).

Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

As for Carlisle, he is a pacifist to the core, and that involves making everybody happy. He had seen what would happen, if Bella died, and was prepared to do anything to keep his family intact, even if it meant making Bella a vampire. The fact that she wanted to become one of them, made his dilemma easier and his decision more justified in his eyes: she’d be happy and never die, which meant Edward would not try to commit suicide, which would not hurt the rest of the Cullens – everybody happy, in the end. So, form that, I agree with him, but only if Bella stayed human for a few years...

3.Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

I wasn’t stunned, no. But then again, I heard about the proposal before I read the book, so I was expecting it. What surprised me was that Edward thought of it as a strategy for his gain – it wasn’t entirely romantic, was it? And that, I think, what made it easier for Bella to say plainly ‘thanks, but no thanks’. If Edward got down on one knee and produced a ring, and she wasn’t still wearing her pyjamas, then she would be stunned in a different kind of way and find it cruel to just turn him down on the spot – I think, in this scenario, it would be equivalent to shooting him in the stomach and leaving him to bleed to death slowly. In that case, she probably would have asked for some time to consider in order to ease the blow a little. As the circumstances were completely different, she didn’t feel like she was shooting him dead by saying ‘no’. …that’s what I think anyway… and yes, I completely related to her reasoning. I grew up in a small town, where people were interested in each other’s business; and the only people, who got married at 18, were the ones knocked up… I would have been completely mortified as to what everyone were saying behind my back, if I was getting married at that age, even if I wasn’t pregnant. And I know that it shouldn’t matter, what everybody thinks, but it does…

4.At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward?

I don’t think I can give an answer that would not contradict my own words. Judging ONLY from the way Edward proposed to Bella in Eclipse, I’d say: ‘no way, girl, have some fun and then, later in life, yeah go for it – you don’t need official papers to be committed to someone’. But then there’s a second side to this argument: if you already know that there is no one else you want and you are completely committed to them, then a wedding is such a minor detail, that it wouldn’t matter if it happened, would it?

5.Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

This is one place, where I don’t see eye to eye with Bella. I’d certainly wait until I graduated at least; especially given that Carlisle had already promised he’d turn her whenever, so she had the guarantee she needed… and that would have made Edward happy… if I were her, I would have given him that little bit of happiness…

6.Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?

I think this idea is super romantic. I’m with Bella on this one all the way – somehow Edward using his venom would make the two of them belong to each other on a whole different level *sigh* …it wouldn’t be as romantic if Carlisle did that – more sterile and technical, so to speak, like an operation – but it would be totally weird, if someone entirely different did it (I don’t even want to entertain that thought…)
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
No, I think she was being an idiot. It was about the same level of stupid that made Edward think she would be safe by herself.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I do understand Edward's reasoning. He believes that eternal life in heaven for Bella is better than life with him, and he thinks that the transformation will destroy any chance of that. I understand Rosalie's reaction, too. Even at the time, it was clearly because of something in her past. The revelations of that past in Eclipse made it clear exactly what that was. I do agree with Carlisle, though. In the end, if it's clear that Edward is going to kill himself when Bella dies, what's he to do? Leave her human when she wants to become a vampire, knowing that when she dies he will lose both of them when he could have prevented it? He's a healer. It would be hard for him to deal with that. Edward has chosen her, and Carlisle knows that choice will not change. He can't lose Edward through inaction.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
After I'd picked myself up from the floor where I'd fallen in a dead faint, I was pretty excited. I was angry at her for not feeling the same way, and I think her reasoning is ludicrous, although understandable given her family background.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
I think she should stay mortal until she moves out of Charlie's house, as Edward suggested. But I truly believe that it's the only logical choice. If she wants to stay with Edward, and I think it's clear by this point that she needs to, then it has to be on more even footing. She's right that staying human is not wise for her, especially now the Volturi know about her, and will staying human give her more time with her parents? Not if the Volturi kill her it won't. So I feel it is the only logical decision at this point.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

1.What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
-When someone has a low self esteem and feels inadequate, I can kinda see why she would have a hard time believing how much he cared for her. After having your worst fears realized (him leaving) and spending months feeling horrible, I can see why she'd be so happy.

2.How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning?
-Understandable. Edward doesn't want her giving up her morality for him..I think that would make HIM feel inadequate. He worries about her soul, which she doesn't seem to care about, because he worries about his own. He sees himself as a monster, as someone potentially evil, and doesn't want to subject to that.

3.Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
Considering this was a re-read, no..but I do remember being shocked when I read it the first time. And knowing what we do about Bella at this point, I think her reasons are perfectly valid.

4.At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward?
-I mean, this is a guy that dumped her and only came back very recently..I'd say not right now..that he needed to earn her trust back.

5.Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
I'd say graduate at least..try not to worry about the Volturi and try to relax and finish high school at least. Enjoy what time she has with Charlie and Renee.

6.Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
I think it's romantic that she wanted Edward to do it. I understand why it might be safer for Carlisle to do it, which might be wiser in the end. However, Edward stopped once and probably could again.