A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by Alphie »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by deven »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
i was surprised how easlily that she beieved him. but she was always so surprised that he could love her the way he does so if i were her i would have thought the same thing

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
i was pleased.lol i wanted her to be a vampire badly! well i understand edwards reasoning but i think he was wrong. and rosalie...well in a way i think her voting no was a really big favor in her mind. i mean to her she would have done anything to be in bellas shoes. so it was kinda nice in a way

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
oh i was so excited and surprised and like holy crap! it took me a sec to collect myself. lol i thought she d have said yes in a sec. but like edward always says bella always takes me by surprise!

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
i thought she should marry him asap! lol and i deffinately thought she would become a vampire in the begining of eclipse definately not in breaking dawn

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
i wanted it to be edward. even though i knew it was going to be painful for her it just seemd like it would be kinda romantic having edward bite her!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
*FANPIRE*
Settled in Forks

Post by *FANPIRE* »

I just want to say that when Edward reads Carlisle's mind before he says yes to the vote, and Edward yells and goes and breaks something in the other room; he broke a 60inch Plasma screen TV and Emmett was pretty upset about it (this is according to SM). :D
YourFavoriteAries
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

Epiphany = Stating the obvious. Justified? No, in fact I thought she was being an idiot the entire time she was saving Edward. The whole "well he's going to leave soon" when CLEARLY Edward was beyond words of excitement. He just needed, to be there with her and hold her, and smell her, and never ever let this being he loves so much leave him. If anything, he was pissed at himself for ever thinking this was right especially since Alice was giving him the 411. He was so thirsty and still so close to her because other things just couldn't be anywhere near important as holding Bella.

I don't understand her reasoning for thinking he didn't love her at this point.

I loved the way the vote went. I think everyone voted right in their own way. So who first, Edward. He's right and wrong. Bella should have human experiences. There are things she'd probably regret not doing if she doesn't do them now. He's wrong because in their situation she can't stay human forever. It's literally not an option but I understand why he voted that way. Alice, given. I thought Jasper was a given to but apparently it shocked Bella. He says and does such nice things to her, she likes to ignore and forget them. :( Sure he almost killed her but that's all the more reason for her to change ASAP. Plus that wasn't out of spite, truly an accident.

Now Rose.
deven wrote: ...and rosalie...well in a way i think her voting no was a really big favor in her mind. i mean to her she would have done anything to be in bellas shoes. so it was kinda nice in a way
I completely agree with this. If Rose hated Bella she would have been more "Yes, do it. Damn yourself for eternity why should I care?" but no, she voted the way she saw was right which DOES show she cares. The reason she's opposed to this whole thing is because she cares about what Bella is throwing away. She knows how much she wants it and assumes once Bella turns it will be what she wants to. That's where Rose is wrong, She is not the same as Bella and they won't (don't, lol) have the same reactions. What bothered me about Rose's vote was Bella. After the vote was over and she says her "I feel the same way about you all" and Rose takes it to mean Bella doesn't want her in the family. Bella was basically "Oh, I kinda slapped Rosalie in the face. Whatever."

Who's left, Emmet. Ha, I acctually thought his reaction was kinda cliche (I want to fight lalala) but none the less I knew he would vote this way. (So please let that line in the movie burn on the cutting room floor. PLEASE!) Esme, I knew her vote to. She loves Bella and wants her in the family but she also loves that Edward has found Bella. Bella staying human means they would have to part again and...well we know how that is. Carlisle had to be thinking the same way as most of the others. Since Edward has chosen to be with Bella and the Volturi has chosen that she needs to change she needs to change. So yes, I agree with every word Carlisle said.

Um, well my friend kinda told me that at the end of Eclipse they were about to get married, (It's ok, that didn't really spoil anything) But I was shocked. I wasn't expecting it then at all. It was very abrupt, very....cute. I don't think he thought that would delay her at all but he figured "Bella should commit to me in her human life" but then Bella...

Bella, Bella, Bella. I will NEVER understand the whole "It's embarrassing" thing. Maybe because I'm 16 and have been imagining my wedding since the beginning of time. :lol: Not that I want to get married right out of High school and have babies (No, not the plan) but getting married seems awesome to me. If I was in THAT situation there would have been no delay in my yes.

Yes!

Um....maybe. Bella hasn't really done all that much in her life she should see the world a little bit. Then again she doesn't have all that much time....

Yes I think it should be Edward. All the Cullens (yes even Jasper and Alice) were changed because someone loved or wanted them. Now I'm not saying that Carlisle doesn't love Bella cause he does but It's Edward that was drawn to her. It's Edward that loves her more then....everything. He should be the one.

However if it's someone else it won't exactly bother me. It would bother Bella, and if I was Bella it would bother me but as a reader I don't care as much.
:lol:
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet
Sunshine
Settled in Forks

Post by Sunshine »

We're all a bit insecure. She was completely justified in believing he didn't love her. Of course, most of us readers probably knew that he did love her, but I would guess it's a bit different reading a story and experiencing it yourself.

I understand Edward's reasoning I suppose, but I think Edward should understand hers. It's not very kind to force someone to do something they don't want to. In this case, Edward forcing Bella to stay human. I also understand Rosalie. Rosalie thinks Bella is making a decision without really considering what she's giving up. She wants to make Bella see that becoming a vampire isn't the only possibility. If I was in Rosalie's position, I would have done the same. I'm still not sure if I agree with Carlisle that it's the only choice, but of course it is the most logical one.

I was actually stunned. I wasn't expecting it at all. I understand her reasons for saying no, but I do think she had more reasons to say yes than to say no. So I don't agree with her not agreeing.

I thought that Bella should marry Edward, but I think she should have stayed human for a bit longer. There are a lot of things in life that she hasn't experienced. Some of them you can't as a vampire. If I was in her position, I would have waited at least 2 or 3 years.

I didn't really care that much if it was Edward that changed Bella. I suppose it would be more romantic that way though.
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

LOL, I wanted to smack her or something. I was like, hello, he was ready to kill himself as opposed to face a world without you in it. I loved that they could have a moment alone to both realize how much they loved one another, and I thought it was a long time coming. I think Bella always got so hung up in Edward's beauty that she forgot he felt the same way about her.

I understood Edward and Rosalie's reasoning, but I did not agree. I thought Carlisle was EXACTLY right. Edward wanted Bella more than anything in life and the feeling was mutual. The only way to give them both happiness was to turn her. I was ecstatic that the majority voted 'yes' and totally wanted them to turn her right then and there, lol.

No, I thought it was the sweetest thing, and I wanted to scream when she said no. Seriously, I had to put the book down and get unannoyed with Bella. haha.

I thought it made no sense for her to remain mortal. She was constantly in danger and unable to really fight for herself. I thought she should definitely marry Edward, and that they should go ahead and turn her in order to make everyone's life easier.

OK to be honest I didn't care. I just wanted her to be a vampire so they could have their eternity.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany ? Do you think she was justified in believeing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her ?

I think it was good. I think deep down she did know that he did love and care for her but she just wasn't sure at the time. And I am not sure why it stunned her so much.

2. How did you feel aout the way the vote went ? Did you understand Edward's reasoning ? What about Rosalie's agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice ?

I felt the voteing session was reasonable and I did understand why he wanted her to stay human and at the same time I believe that he wanted her to stay with him forever. And yes I do understand Carlisle and Rosalie's reasoning for that only logical choice.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him ? How do you feel about Bella marrying Edward ? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible ? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer ?

I was kind of stunned but not surprised that he asked her because I believe they were meant for each other. I Love the fact that they are getting married. I would have sayed yes on the spot. I think the way her immortailty came about was perfect timing. And I am very glad that she became a Vampire. I love it!!!!

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should Marry Edward ? Did you think she should become a Vampire as soon a possible? or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer ?

I do think Bella should Marry Edward. I think it was a great idea for Bella to become a Vampire. And I think the timing for her change was perfect, considering the condition she was in.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a Vampire ? How did you feel if someone else were to change her ?

I wanted him to do it because somehow it combines them even more then just being married and Yes I wanted her to be immortal with Edward for eternity.
vintage_sunflower
Settled in Forks

Post by vintage_sunflower »

*sneaks in her opinion a little late*

I can see how she would be justified in believing that Edward didn't love her anymore. I mean...come on...the guy left her alone in the woods and was just *poof* gone for months. B&E went from being so in love to essentially "breaking up" (not really) in the blink of an eye...it seemed. Going from feeling complete and loved to being abandoned. I would be crushed, too.

Then again, looking from his point of view...I can see why he left...I mean he just wanted to give her a chance to be human...but...I think he should have talked to her about it instead of just taking off on her....but...where is the drama in that? ;)

I loved this CH. I feel that the vote went as I expected it to go. I am struggling with Edward's reasoning though. Half of me understands that he wants her to have a shot at a "normal human" life...but the other half is so confused/aggrivated because it's like---If you love her so much...wouldn't you want to be with her for all eternity?...and I mean be with HER...not some wrinkled up old woman...If he truly loved her he would see that the thought of her aging kills her on the inside...and he shouldn't want to put her through that <--Which I don't believe he DOES want to put her through that....I'm only on Eclipse people so give me time! :)

I was a bit suprised by Rosalie. Not suprised that she said "No"...but suprised that she cared enough to elaborate on her choice. The old Rosalie would have just been a b word about it...but maybe she still felt bad about giving the false information...or is it that maybe she is starting to see how much E&B truly love each other?...Hmmmm...

I agree with Carlisle...I mean naturally. It is the only logical choice. Bella needs to become a vampire. I mean...duh.

No. I would have been mad if he didn't ask her eventually in this Saga. I was really happy...I mean I literally squeeled when I read it...only to get aggrivated when Bella was hesitant. I can see where she is coming from being with her Mom/Charlie's marriage and the garbage that was pounded into her head growing up about marriages....but come on! This would be a way to quickly get what she wants and be with her one true love forever....what is there honestly to have to deliberate about?!? Geeze!

I believe that Bella should marry Edward and that she should become a vampire as soon as possible. With the danger she is in (from all sorts of angles)...it seems to only make logical sense that she should become one. She wants it....she found her true love...she doesn't want to age anymore....and she doesn't want to put her family in danger...I don't see why there is hesitation. Although...there again...there has to be hesitation because that makes for more drama... :) I get it Steph...I get it.

YES, YES, and YES. I don't want anybody else to change her. It would make my day if he is the one to change her---and I don't know this yet because I haven't read past the beginning of Eclipse...sooo...we'll see if I get my wish. :lol:
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

It is understandable that she would feel like he doesn't' love her (or as much as he says he does). We all are insecure and afraid of being "dumped" and plus he did leave (even though he thought it was for the best). So once that happens it could happen again! So now she has that worry, knowing that pain could come back again. But justified...can't say...she was being a once heartbroken teenage girl in love I guess.

I liked how the vote went!!! I understand everyone's reason to there vote and wasn't really surprised by any of them. I agree with YourFavoriteAries. You said it just how I feel!!!

I was at that point. i figured it would be later. I knew it would happen, but not so much in New Moon. I was excited and thought YES, YES, SAY YES!!!! But she didn't. I was confused. I would have been on my way to Vegas!!! But I understand her reasons. She grew up with a mom who pounded it in her head that marriage was doomed before 30! But her and Edward aren't normal... But I wouldn't have said no...I would have said "Yes, but not yet." If that was how I felt.

Yes!! I think soon yes... But I was thinking like Edward go a semester or two to college. That would please Edward so much!!! Get married to him...live like a "normal" married couple go to college to get that "human" experience under your belt and then be turned. But I understand the need to be turned now! I really agree with waiting until after graduation!

I always wanted it to happen that way, but didn't think it was an option. Once it became an option I was like now no one else will do!!!! It made sense it should be him to be the last one whose's lips would touch her, whose venom would course through her veins, until her heart stopped. I think she said (and I agree) that it would make him a part of her, that she would belong to him, and they would have that bond!
As others have said it is romantic to think of that. Not that he is ending her life, but he is giving her a new one. It would mean that he wanted her forever. He was the one to decided to grant her this. I think it made their love stronger!!! I love the idea of it!
ImageImage
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

At first I was a bit confused by her epiphany. Like Edward, I'm surprised that she didn't really believe that he loved her. I know that having a relationship of such a serious magnitude was a first for her, and I get that her self confidence is not quite as high as should have been but I don't know why she would have ever doubted Edward's love for her. When she finally realized that he really truly loved her, I think it wiped the slate clean for her.

I did understand where Edward was coming from but he needs to trust Bella like she trusts him. I like that Rosalie gave a reason for why she voted no. It's making her a bit of a nicer person. Yes, I do agree with Carlisle that it is the only logical choice. Especially with the Volturi, and knowing that Bella and Edward won't ever leave each other...and none of the Cullens would really want to live without Edward around either (if/when Bella should die)

I was stunned! And then I was excited! Bella's just nervous about the whole thing - she's young and Edward is her first (only) love - it's just a lot to digest for her.

Heck yes, I thought she should marry Edward! I wanted that from the get-go! :D I was kinda torn on when she should become a vampire. There are things that she should get to experience as a human but on the other side, there are is a whole wealth of new experiences to be had after she becomes a vampire.

I thought it would be for the best for Edward to change her. I think if any one else, outside the Cullen family, were to do it, it wouldn't be right.