A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by Alphie »

These questions were provided by Be My Escape.

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by AgentCross »

Easily my favorite chapter and one of the only reasons I like New Moon. The books is very good, but I love Edward and lived vicariously through him so it was painful for most of the book.

1. She mean's that having Edward with her is perfect, it's Heaven. If she was in Hell...there is no way Edward would get to be there. Bella even says that her definition of hell is anywhere Edward isn't.

2. That they are meant to be, fate conspired to get them back together by making it necessary for Bella to go to Italy and find Edward, since Edward learned that being away from Bella causes her more pain and the exact pain he left to avoid... he can finally stay with her and not feel as guilty as he did before.

3. On their own? No... maybe avoid them for a bit... but never defeat them.

4. I think she got tired of leaving the decision in Edward's hands and when other peoples "Lives" were in danger, she decided to step up and do something about it. She was correct in that the Volturi problem affected the Cullen's as well as Bella. So it was appropriate that she... if nothing else, asked their opinions and in the end got a way to become a Vampire. At first I would guess Edward thought she was being absurd and stubborn and that he was only going along with this to humor her. I don't think he believed his family would go along with it, thus his reaction of ripping a 60 inch plasma TV in half when the majority voted yes. Thankfully Edward... as he always does, thought about it and came up with a wonderful compromise.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I think what she means is that Edward is like her heaven. Hell is the opposite, so he wouldn't be there.

2. The odds that Alice thought it was Bella's funeral, and that Bella was dead, but it really was someone else's.

3. No. To me, the Volturi are way more powerful than them, and the Cullens would be outnumbered.

4. Since some people (Cullens) think she should, and some say no, I think she just wants to knwo what everyone's opinion on the subject is.
Jublio
Settled in Forks

Post by Jublio »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?

she thinks that Edward is to perfect, so that he would be to good for hell.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?

Alice's vision that Bella jumped off the cliff and then Jacob said that Charlie is at the funeral. so it is was really a coincidence that was someone elses funeral but Edward didn't knew that.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?

No. they're outnumbered and the Volturi has more talented vampires.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?

She is tired of being in danger and I think she is also scared of the Volturi. she wants to know how the others think about her becoming one of them.
....::Image::....
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

1. She believes that hell is the absence of Edward. If he is with her than she is not in hell. Plus she doesn't believe that he is doomed to go to hell just because he is a vampire. She thinks he has a soul and is perfect/good.

2. The odds...Alice has a vision of Bella jumping off the cliff. She can't see werewolves so she doesn't know Bella was saved. Rose tells Edward what Alice saw. He calls Charlie, some one tells him that he is at a funeral. What are the odds that it would be someone elses funeral? That is what he means. He said he should of been more careful becasue he thinks he should have found out if it was Bella for sure before he tried to "off himself"!

3. I think they could have ran, yes... but to fight them on their own, no I do not. Jane, Alec and them have more abilities than the Cullens. They would have put up a fight yes, but they wouldn't have lived.

4. I don't know what Edward thought about her going to his house to put it to a vote. He felt they wouldn't dare vote agianst him. He said that himself some where. But Bella had to. She knew it involved the Cullens and she wanted to take charge of her future, the possiblity of her immortality, and talk it over with her "family". She knew Edward wouldn't take her life or have any part in taking it, so she brought it to people who she thought would help her convice him this is for the best.
ImageImage
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

She had already defined heaven as life with Edward. Anywhere he isn't would be the opposite.

He knew Bella was a walking 'danger magnet' and, after the image Rosalie had advised of, he could only assume Bella had passed away. I think he was probably thinking of the uncanny timing of it all.

I don't, because Aro proved himself to be single minded, and it wouldn't matter if they said Bella wasn't with them; if he wanted to kill them, he would have.

I LOVED THAT. I was like 'YES, Finally, she's calling some shots here!". Edward always disconted her desire to be a vampire like she was missing some detail or something, and I think she had had enough. He knew that the majority of the family would vote to turn her, so I'm sure he was irritated with that, thought he shouldn't have been since it was the one way he could have his soulmate for all of eternity.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. When Bella thinks that she is died she states, " If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me, " what do you think she means by that ?

I think she meant was that Edward was not a bad and that he is like a special heaven to her and so he has to be with her. I am actually really not that sure but that was my guess.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, " What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charile was at the funeral ? What are the odds ? Edward contemplates " the odds " what do you think he is thinking about then?

I think he was thinking that she killed her self probably and that he felt guilty and that he had no other reason to live anymore and that was why he wanted to die too.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. DO you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own ?

I really could not answer that one. I am not sure.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortaily to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision ? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house ?

I think she felt that if she was going to become immortail that his whole family should have vote because she would be becoming a member of his family. And it just seemed more proper. I think Edward did not really agree with Bella but that in the end she would get it because she wanted to be with him as much as he wanted to be with her.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

Her Heaven is with Edward. If she was in Hell, Edward wouldn't be by her side.

Why wouldn't it be Bella? The odds were more for her dying than staying alive. And taking into consideration that Rosalie told him that Bella killed herself and then Jacob saying that Charlie was at the funeral....Edward really had no other option but the believe that Bella was dead.

Probably not. There are more Volturi than there are Cullens.

The Volturi. I don't know what Edward is thinking..
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

Best chapter EVER most romantic too =]

She thinks that she couldn't possibly be in Heaven if he was there b/c her definition of hell is anywhere without Edward.

He is thinking about what are the odds that Charlie was at a funeral when he called to find out if Bella was dead. He also is thinking about how dumb he is for not confirming it with Alice.

No they wouldn't there are way too many of them for just the Cullens to face.

What made her come up with this is that she is always going to be a part of their lives and she doesn't want to put them in danger anymore so she decides to let them decide. Edward was probably really mad because he doesnt want her to lose her soul. And also probably secretly hoping they vote yes because he has other tricks up his sleeve (marrying him being the trick, he definitly had that in mind already) and he does love her so how could he possibly want her to get old and die.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

simply, good overpowers all
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett