A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by natterss707 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She meant that he doesn't belong in hell.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
She is a danger magnet and is always hurting herself in one way or another, and when he heard about the cliff diving and struggle how could he have possibly assumed it was someone else?

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
I'm not really sure. I guess they would have to see.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
The whole fact that the Volturi is going to check on her since she knows too much about the vampire world. Also the danger that she attracts to the Cullen family. She wants them to stay.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
2 things- Edward has a soul, and he would be in heaven & her definition of hell is a life without him.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
Her turning. He definatly did not want to think about it, but he knows the odds are not what he wants to hear. Either she stays human and is in consant danger, or she turns and risks losing her soul.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
HELL YES!! The Cullens could take the Volturi.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
She knows that keeping her human will lead to the Volturi coming to Forks, and the Cullens defending her. All of them. So she knows she has to turn, but she needs help comvincing Edward. Edward thinks she wants to get away from him, which is totally obsured.
Twighlight #1 Fan
Settled in Forks

Post by Twighlight #1 Fan »

Definitely one of the most exhilerating chapters in the entire book
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:These questions were provided by Be My Escape.

1)That heaven is ONLY were Edward is and hell is where he would not be.

2)How everything seems to be going against them being together - the odds not being good. The Edward & Bella seem to defy the odds and are together.

3)No.

4)a.Because this does affect the Cullens. Edward & Bella are together and what they do affects the family. The cullens are at just as much risk and Bella & Edward are. b.That it would not matter, he probably believed they would see his reasoning and not hers, so he probably thought 'Fine, we'll see which side they take...'
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
-Bella's definition of hell is anywhere without Edward, so if she had died, it wasn't possible she was in hell, because Edward was still with her.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
-Edward means that what are the odds that Charlie would be at a funeral, at the same time he called to see if it was Bella's funeral.-

-No, sadly I don't. The is just so many of the Volturi and they're so powerful, there isn't anyway the Cullens could win without a little help.

-Bella probably decided that the desicion of becoming immortal wouldn't just effect her and Edward, it would effect all of the Cullens. By allowing them to vote on it they can express their opinions on it. Edward was probably really unhappy when Bella wanted to go to his house to put the issue to a vote.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Bella constantly refers to Edward as her angel and compares being with him like being in heaven. Hell is supposed to be a place without any comfort and love, and that is what Edward is to her.

Edward was probably thinking that it was only a small chance that he had just heard that Bella had killed herself and Charlie was at a funeral the exact same day.

No, not at all. We see what happens when the Volturi go up against the Cullens in Brekaing Dawn and we know that the Cullens have absolutely no chance of making it out that fight with no deaths.

Edward can tell Bella no all he wants, so if Bella gets him to see that the rest of his family think it best that she was a vampire that he no longer as the largest say in the matter. Bella is using her relationships with the rest of the family to get what she wants.
Pretty Alice
Settled in Forks

Post by Pretty Alice »

I think she saw her time being alone and without Edward as her own personal hell. She meant that if she was in hell, she wouldn't have Edward there with her. She meant that if she were in hell, she would be all alone and without him rather than having him there with her and telling her he loved her.

I think he simply means "what are the odds that one of Charlie's friends dies and the funeral is the day after you decide to jump off a cliff, then Jake answers the phone while Charlie's at the funeral?" I know that is a run-on sentence, but you get the idea.

I'm going to have to say no. Even if Demitri's powers were thrown off by Bella, she probably still wouldn't be all that hard to find. All the Voltori would have to do would be to find wherever the Cullens are. They already know about Edward's strong connection to Bella. They probably also know where the Cullens live. It wouldn't be all that hard for them to simply go to where the Cullens are and sniff her out. After all, a vampire can be very good at sniffing out a human, particularly if she is the only human in the house.

Bella explains what made her come to this decision. It's not just her that's put in danger by her reaminig human anymore. Plus, she knew that Edward would never make her a vampire. So, she decided to get him out-voted. If she couldn't get Edward to bite her, she'd find a vampire that would change her. I personally think that Bella should have at least listened to Edward's side of thinks before running off to his house and basically demanding that someone bite her.

Edward was probably wondering why Bella wanted to become a vampire so badly when he was more than happy to provide other options and alternatives. He was probably also thinking that he would do anything to make sure Bella never had to go through the pain of the transformation, the everyday stuggle just to keep herself from killing the ones she loved (particularly Charlie, Mike, Angela, or Jessica), and the guilt that would haunt her for the rest of eternity if she ever did snap and kill somebody. One brief moment of weakness would be all it would take. Plus, If she were transformed that very night, she wouldn't be able to return to (or finish) high school. At least, not for a couple of years. In fact, she probably wouldn't be able to be around humans at all for at least the first year. Graduating from high school was one human experience that Edward knew Bella would miss if she were bitten then.
Kimmygirl23
Settled in Forks

Post by Kimmygirl23 »

Because if she where to be in hell Edward would not be there, that would be her true hell...because Edward is with her she's more in heavan

what are the odds that someone else had died and that charlie was at his funeral at the same time Edward calls to see is Bella is really dead.

No I don't think they stand a chance, not with the Volturi plus their gards...there are to many of them

Because Edward is being unreasanable about the fact that he won't turn her! she things she has a better chance if she asks the cullens.
And I think Edward thinks she's sort of kidding....I don't think he thinks she means it
~TEAM EDWARD~
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

Hell is supposed to be about eternal torment, the closest thing Bella knows to hell is being apart from Edward, being with him is Heaven!

the odds are always stacked against him & Bella, Alice sees Bella jump off a cliff but not survive...Bella's blood is the most delicious he has ever smelled and yet he loves her, Bella is clumsy and thus likely to bleed a lot...the list is endless

no, plain & simply not at all - not alone anyway

Edward thinks Bella will want him to do it & knows he will not allow it... Bella knows that Edward may not want to do it, but that Alice has already agreed to it so figures she might just sway the majority in her favour... also, she is very stubborn & Edward saying no probably just made her want it even more!
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

Hmmm... Before answering any questions, I have one I have been pondering on my own. I have read in several different places, including Stephenie Meyer's website, that the reason Edward left was solely to protect Bella from vampires. This is true, indeed, but the impression that I also got when I first read the chapters, especially in "The End" was that Edward was also thinking about his family. I imagine he would, and the fact that Bella was a huge temptation for all of them - especially Jasper - would bring Edward to the final decision of leaving so he wouldn't tear his family apart in case an "accident" happened again. This is never mentioned anywhere I have read, but I wonder if anyone else thought about this too.

Let me know.

Now, for the questions:

1. Obviously, Bella thinks Edward has a soul and is good enough to go to heaven. Her own judgment of herself, however, is a little poor, thinking - of all people - she would wind up in hell.

2. Well, "The odds" he is referring to is what are the odds of Charlie going to a funeral, other than Bella's, after he had already heard the news from Rosalie that Bella was a goner. That, by the way, was as Shakespearean as it gets. I wanted to "La Push" Jacob off of a cliff myself for that!

3. Hmmm, I don't know if the Cullens have a chance against the Volturi. Their "superpowers" are pretty diverse and, with the lack of a better word, powerful. However, Bella stands a chance, because they can't read her mind, so it's easy for her to hide. I haven't read the other books yet, so I can't get too deep on that subject. Don't spoil for me!!!

4. She pretty much knows that the Cullens want to make her one of them. She decided to put her mortality to a vote to "democratically" win the argument against Edward. Smart girl. By the way, when Rosalie explains why she voted "no", it really brought a couple tears to my eyes. I was surprisingly touched by that.

"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com