A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by Jadey »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
Either she thinks Edward would go to heaven when he died and/or shes in her own heaven right now - whenever she's with Edward it's like being in heaven.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
The odds were that there was a funeral right after Bella cliff dived. That theres bad luck everywhere around Bella

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
Maybe.. Aro wouldn't want to waste gifted vamps

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
If her alone can't make Edward allow her to be a vampire, then If his family agreed with it then he might change his mind s:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She was just there, he wasn't there and it was like being in hell to her. If she was in heaven, he would be there. Edward is her heaven.
2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
I thought he was comparing it to Romeo and Juliet. Everything seems to be against him and Bella, outside forces and just the way things are try to keep them apart, but no matter how unlikely it is, nothing can.
3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
Probably not, the Volturi have a lot more 'people' than the Cullens, and then have gifts that could destroy them, that's how they always win.
4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
She figured it affected all the Cullens now, and to be fair, she should give them a say. Edward probably figured he couldn't stop her, and he should be there to try to convince them that he is right.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She means that Edward would end up in heaven.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
Just the very strange coincidences. Him getting a call from Rosalie saying that Bella is dead, Alice seeing Bella fall of a cliff and disappear, and Charlie being at a funeral when Edward called. It just seems like the odds are against them.

At that point, I would say no.

I think she decided to have a vote, since the decision would also be affecting them. She did not want the Volturi to attack her vampire family. And also I think that she hoped it would convince Edward if the rest of his family voted yes. I think that Edward did not like the idea, but he took her to his house knowing that she wasn't going to drop the subject. He must have hoped they would vote against her.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
If Edward was automatically to be doomed to hell, and if she were there, then an eternity together would be heaven for them. That which hell would not be for either, thus Edward would be in heaven, which would be hell to him without Bella, as hell would be to Bella without Edward.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
After what Rosalie told him of Bella being dead, then he calling the house himself to check only to be told Charlie is at the funeral, I would've come to the same conclusion as Edward.

No.

She's putting him into check over the truth of his loving her forever. And with the unknown of the afterlife, or if there is one, perhaps Edward could be convinced of it by the others in his family.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Reese1603
Settled in Forks

Post by Reese1603 »

Obviously she believes that Edward doesn't deserve hell - That she would be in heaven because that's where Edward would go. :)

He was thinking about Romeo and Juliet - when in the beginning of the book they are watching R&J, and Edward criticizes Romeo for makign so many mistakes. He realizes that everything has been trying to keep him and Bella apart, just like in the play. Its like fate doesn't want them together.

No, but he doesn't want to think about that. He just wants Bella to be safe. The plan is explained in the next chapter.

He is angry, no doubt. I dont' think he realizes how much his family wants her to be a vampire too, so I don't think he is worried. In fact, I am pretty sure it is mostly just relieved that Bella is really alive and that they are together. That's why he offers to take her himself...I think he doesn't want to lose a minute with her.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that? She does not believe Edward lost his soul in her eyes he's to good and he would never be in hell

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then? Just that there was a funeral going on that day he never expected it to be someone elses

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own? not all of them

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house? Well in her mind they are all in danger now. She knows how Alice feels about it and she thinks it's stupid that Edward wants to be with her but won't change her they can't truly be together like that and she's betting most of his family members feel the same way. I don't think he thought Carlisle would say yes since Carlise doesn't belive in changing someone that's not dying.
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

That her idea of hell is Anywhere Edward-less; it doesn't matter whether she's surrounded by Satan and flames, Hell for Bella is eternity without Edward. So if she's died, she's in heaven, because Edward is there.

How the odds always seem to be against them - even when he TRIES to check if she's alive, it turns out someone elses funeral misleads him.

Nope. Not with psycho Jane in their midst. Without her, maybe. But Aro has already seen all of Edward's thoughts, so he knows exactly how each of them work. The Volturi are just too powerful to be taken down alone.

I think Alice sewed the seeds; she's had enough of being human and the trouble it causes, and now there's the threat of the Volturi over her, it's become more important than ever that she gets changed. But Alice saying that she was thinking of changing Bella herself made it clear it didn't have to be Edward to change her; that the other Cullens had a say in the matter and might agree with her, too. So she approaches them for help. Edward is confused, at first, but he's a smart kid - it didn't take him long before he figured out that she wouldn't let the subject if immortality die, and she wouldn't be above asking his family for help.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

She pretty much thinks Edwards a saint and saints don't go to hell.

That Bella really could die anyday anytime she's human and the littlest things can kill her.

No they're too powerful.

She thinks Edward needs to see that it's not just her who wants it, that his family thinks it's the right thing to do. What his families choice will be.
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

her idea of hell is a place where he doesnt exist.

he had no clue that the chances would come down to that bella's luck just happened to 'pull' the wrong way that day. its kinda ironic is you ask me!

maybe. they both have an advantage of "special powers" but the volturi dont have as much trust with each other as the cullens do. i think that bond makes them stronger.

i was too shocked to really thing about what was going on in whose head! i couldnt read fast enough to find out what came next! actally, the next chapter is one of my faves!
Betting on Alice.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Because she is with Edward. She believes that being anywhere else, other than with Edward, would be hell. So since they are together, in her mind she must be in heaven.

That Bella is the most unluckiest person alive? lol. I think he was thinking that the odds are always against them, it's like everything seems to be stacked against them.

No chance. Which is really really rubbish!!

I think she is fed up with Edward just saying "no" without anyone else, including herself, getting a say. Especially since now the Volturi are going to check on her to see if she has become a vampire, which therefore would put others around her, eg. Charlie, Jacob, the Cullens, in danger. I think Edward takes her to his house just to go along with her, but I don't think he has any intention of letting her actually become a vampire.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!