A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

Post by Tonya »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications? for the most part

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi? He seems all friendly when really he's calculating

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why? Aro the most frightening to me because he obviously in charge. Caius would be a serial killer if he were human Marcus doesn't seem to want to exist anymore

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro? To Aro Bella is food. To Edward she's an amazing life force Edward good Aro bad

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions? I don't know about supporting my opinion but Edward is obviously angrier than Carlisle but he is just as passionate. They both have amazing self control but it's different Esme's blood did not sing to Carlisle as far as we know but if it had I'm sure he would have obstained. Edward was also able to obstain when Tyler was bleeding in the emergancy room so he;s in more control than he gives himself credit for

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked. That she was a powerful little thing waiting to be unleashed. I didn't have a clue how it worked just that she rocks!
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
Alice is telling Edward everything she knows, showing it as it happens, as well as her guesses why - in the hopes that Edward can use her visions and the thoughts of everyone else to try to find a way out.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
He pretends to be so nice... And yet how fiercly protective of their city they are and the lengths they'll go to suggest that somehow, niceties are not his biggest priority. The fact that he had the rest of the guard out all over Volterra, waiting for whatever Edward might do? And how he sets Gianna and the humans up; Bella's well-being only stretches to his curiousity. Besides that, Aro can be as pleasant as he likes in public - he is in charge, even Caius and Marcus, so called equals, obey him - everyone else worships at his feet and obeys his every nod of the head. He didn't get that position by being everyone's best friend. He just knows how to lull people into a false sense of security.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
On the surface, Caius is the most frightening; Marcus certainly isn't, because he doesn't care at all about anything (though that attitude alone is a bit scary), but Caius is loud and angry and quick to jump the gun. Alice already skipped out him having a talent when she told Bella about the Volturi, so he must have some kind of personality trait that earned him the place in the top 3 of the Volturi - frightening on it's own. Deeper down, though, Aro is the most frightening - because he manages to control the entire crowd of vampires and keep them all civil, and meanwhile he pretends to be so nice, so you don't even know what he's truly capable of.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
It's the difference between red and gold eyes, I guess; Aro is all about humans as a life source, whereas the Cullens are more evolutionary if you like, treating humans LIKE humans. Aro doesn't even think to ask Bella if he can read her thoughts until Edward tells him to - humans to Aro are solely food. It shows exactly how powerful the thirst is, which puts the Cullens in an even better light; and shows a much more animalistic side of the so called civilised Volturi. As far as character goes, it stands as a continuing tribute to Edward's; we always knew how much he loved Bella, obviously he sees it as a worthy price, not drinking her blood in exchange for having her with him. Aro, on the other hand, stands as a tribute to Carlisle's theory that refraining from human blood creates a bond; Aro highlights how vampires could be easily split by human blood.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I actually agree with Aro here. Edward looks up to Carlisle and wants to be like him, and so over time has come to resemble him; yet he's not quite there with Carlisle's calm nature, because he doesn't possess that much compassion or patience. It's just him; no matter how much he tries to be like Carlisle, he'll always be angrier. Yet he does have more self-control; Carlisle has an amazing amount to be able to be around human blood and be all but immune, even with Bella's at the start of New Moon; but Edward comes across this mouth-watering girl and not only refrains from drinking her blood, but stays glued to her side pretty much constantly; kisses her and hugs her and watches her sleep as WELL as even being able to suck venom from her blood and keep her alive. It just tips Carlisle's self-control, because it's quite possible that Carlisle wouldn't be able to be as constantly, physically and emotionally close to a human like Edward is to Bella.Or if he could, there's just no evidence of it. Edward has restraint over his passion and lust as well as bloodlust. Edward just about trumps.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
I thought she was just kind of secretive like that; like she could keep her thoughts from Edward and Aro because she was private, going along with the whole self-sacrificing thing as a personality trait of Bella's. As for Jane, I figured that the pain wouldn't be physical, just mental; that she'd somehow draw from memories to create as much pain as possible, and seeing as Bella kept her mind closed off, Jane couldn't get in. I never dreamed it would be everything it was in Breaking Dawn, though.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
That Edwars mad at Alice for saying that she'd change Bella.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
He wants Bella changed for his own good so he can see what she'll be able to do, and have another chance to get Edward and Alice on his side.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
Just looking at them Caius is the most frightening, Marcus didn't really impress me much, but when you really look deep down itno them Aro is real scarry he's so cunning.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
Edward prides himself on his selfcontroll, the Volturi lives to the vampire true nature, the Cullens go against that doing what they think is right. Edward valus the human life, whild Aro sees it as something that can be used in any way he wants it to be.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
Edward is very much like Carlisle, but he does have a bad temper sometimes, and I do think Edward has more self-control look how far he's made it with Bella. So I agree with both, the support I chose is Edward getting mad in Twilight when Bellas asks if Alice saw her, and pretty much everytime Edward is alone with Bella shows his self-control.
6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
**Kathryn**
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

I imagine after all these years, Edward and Alice have their own way of communicating. He can see her visions and read her thoughts and he answers her in his own ways.

He is so happy go lucky.. he always makes me smile when I read their interaction with him.. he just seems wayyy to chipper.

Aro is so happy and breezy.. Marcus is plain and bored.. and Caius.. Caius is ill tempered and scary.

First of all,.. Aro drinks human blood.. so to him it's like.. that's the best blood in the entire world designed just for you.. smell it everyday but not drink it.. that's crazy! But Edward doesn't want to be a monster and has fallen in love with her.. he'll do whatever it takes to keep her alive.

I do think Edward has more self-control than Carlisle.. or atleast the same. Bella is Edward's own special brand of heroin.. I can only imagine how crazy that must be for him. Like towards the end of Twilight when Edward sucks Bella's blood to get the venom out and still stops.. Edward doesn't think of himself as that great and thinks he's constantly doing a horrible job with Bella, when actually he's doing something more than anyone else ever would be able to in his shoes. Example is Emmett.

I wasn't quite sure.. I just thought that some things didn't affect her.. She blocks people from her brain. I was surprised when Aro and Jane's powers didn't work on her either.. I was thinking it'd just be Edward
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Didn't really think about it much, can't remember.

I felt he was trying to provoke them, so he would have a good reason to hurt them.

Caius.

It shows that Edward is loving, Aro isn't. Loving in general. Respect for human life.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I don't think either is stronger than the other. Edward has to resist the most appealing blood ever. But Carlisle has to resist a lot of blood around him daily.

I thought that she could resist everything that was not physical.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I'm not sure... I can't really remember. They were probably "discussing" how to keep Bella safe.

He pretends that he's really nice and outgoing, but he's actually evil and crazy. He tries to lull them into a false sense of security before he turns on them.

Probably Aro, just because of how outgoing and manipulitive he is.

The Volturi are traditional vampires who kill humans, wheras the Cullens value human life and kill animals instead. The Volturi don't care much about human life, so they don't understand how Edward could love Bella too much to want to kill her or "take away her soul". It shows that Aro is far more cruel than Edward is.

I think that while Edward doesn't have more self-control than Carlisle, he is at the very least tied with him. Bella's blood appeals to him more than anyone in the emergency room does to Carlisle, and it takes far more effort on his part to resist.

I'm not sure. I guess it means that she has enough inner strength to be able to fight off intruders. Something like a shield.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think that Alice is telling Edward off at first, making him see what happened when he left Bella. Then later on, I'm pretty sure he's telling her some details about the Volturi and their chances, but it's difficult to know the specifics.

He's very nice to them. It's clear he could turn on them at any moment, though.

Aro, definitely. It's clear he's in control, and that his friendliness is only in place as long as it suits him.

Quite simply, one considers humans nothing more than various different items on the menu, and the other considers them as real people who have as much of a right to life as vampires do. This latter option is what provided Edward with the ability and the opportunity to resist the call of Bella's blood and instead find out just how much he gained from doing the right thing in regard to her.
Edward has more self control than Aro, and he is far less selfish. For Aro, drinking the blood of a singer (or killing anyone who gets in his way) is par for the course, because he is first. Edward has learned to resist this self centred viewpoint for a more compassionate, more noble one.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I believe that Aro is right. Carlisle can resist human blood generally, but why did he not offer to suck the venom out of Bella in book one? Because he wasn't sure he'd be able to stop if he went that far? Possibly, yes. Edward could. Certainly the love he felt for Bella made it more likely that he would be able to stop, but it was still an amazing effort. Also, in the Midnight Sun draft Alice mentions that resising Bella could well take more self control than Carlisle had.

I don't think I'd heard it put this way until after I'd read Breaking Dawn, so I can't really make a judgement on what I would have thought it meant. As far as the story went, I was interested in what she could do, but didn't realise the implications of what this could mean when she became a vampire.