A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to silly_bella for helping us with these questions!

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
I'd have to re read the chapter, because it's been a little while, and New Moon is the book I had the hardest time with because I was so depressed with Bella while I read.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
Aro is shady! He uses what he knows you're thinking to manipulate the conversation and therefore what happens. Creepy.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
I think Aro is the most frightening because alhough Caius is angry and bloodthirsty, Aro seems to be the one in control of what ends up happening.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
It's all about the 'vegetarian' lifestyle. Aro sees the draw Edward has to Bella's blood as the ultimate prize, because it would ensure that, if Edward ever drank it, it would probably be the best drink he'd ever had. Edward believes that it's something he needs to deal with in order to have his soulmate.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I agree on both points. He is very resolved to remain a vegetarian like Carlisle but he is definitely overrdramatic and a bit of a hothead. And, I think the line about him having more self control sounds weird until you consider how quickly he's reigned in the obsession he had with Bella's blood and traded it for the relationship. Carlisle had been a doctor for hundreds of years and had an extremely high tolerance to the smell of human blood. Although Edward had been a vegetarian for 70 years, his ability to turn off the instinct was very quick will Bella. Impressive.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
I think Bella was so worried about people worrying about her or drawing too much attention to her that she really didn't want people to know what was really on her mind. It seemed that this distinction is what kept them out, because it was so strong.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I've only read the books once and this is my second time through it so right now I'm not particularly sure. Aro wants them to join the Volturi thats for sure though. He's puzzled by Edward's reaction to Bella and of course, Bella's (non) reaction to Aro and Jane.

He can manipulate the outcome of a situation by reading someone's mind.

Aro is interested in the gifts of others - he's like a "collector".
Marcus just seems bored the entire time and Caius seems like he wants to fight all the time. I think Aro is the most frightening because it appears that he yields more power than his "brothers". Also, he can manipulate the outcome of a situation.

Aro is not a vegetarian (LOL) and Bella is there, pretty much offering herself to Edward. Earlier in the book it was said that because the Cullens and the Denali coven lived the lifestyle they do, they have greater capacity to "love" as it were; they can "feel" more than the Volturi. Edward loves Bella and that emotion is one that Aro can't even comprehend. When it comes to character, Edward thinks of himself as a monster when in all reality he really isn't. The monster is Aro(as well as the other Volturi). As we learned in Twilight, Edward tries to save the lives of innocent humans by saving them from danger - sort of as a penance for his not being a vegetarian after he was turned into a vampire. Aro is the exact opposite. He kills unsuspecting, innocent humans for fun, for food. They (Edward & Aro) are very much Day & Night.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
Well, I can't ever imagine Carlisle being angry except right after he was bitten and only then because at first, he thought of himself as a monster. But yes, Edward was angry - you can clearly tell that from the entire exchange with the Volturi. But of course, Edward is similar to Carlisle. He's never hurt Bella (physically) even when the opportunity has presented itself. Every time Edward is around Bella - alone, intimately - he doesn't act on his "vampire" instincts. That's some pretty dedicated self-control.

I don't really have an opinion on this because I only found that out when I read Breaking Dawn.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Probably what might happen, and what to do if something does happen, something bad.

2. He can know what they think if he touches them, so he will partially know what they will do.

3. Aro, he may seem like a happy-go-lucky person, but nobody really knows what is going on inside.

4. It shows that Edward does care more for humans, as friends, than Aro. But if I were a vampire, I would rather be with another vampire, not a human.

5. I agree with Aro. He is kind of like Carlisle. But since Carlisle doesn't have a human mate, or girlfriend, he doesn't need Edward's self control. So for Edward to be calm around Bella, than he does have a lot of self control.

6. I just thought she didn't feel, or have anyone hear her thoughts. I didn't look into it much.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: we are really contemplatives

Post by darkrider »

ubeatyggo wrote:bump up
lurk

I believe that we are not real social workers. We may be doing social work in the eyes of the people, but we are really contemplatives in the heart of the world. For we are touching the body of Christ twenty-four hours…And I think that in our family we don’t need bombs and guns, to destroy, to bring peace, just get together, love one another, bring that peace, that joy, that strength of presence of each other in the home. And we will be able to overcome all the evil that is in the world.

Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap WOW Gold!All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling
--------------------------------our wow gold site:
buy WoW Gold,cheap WoW Gold,free WoW Gold, buy wow power leveling,cheap wow power leveling,

you're really bright. I agree
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

No. I can't say that I even follwed everything in this chapter.

I can't. I really am not sure if I should be embarased or not - I have no trouble following any part of the books except the Volturi. I don't know why I just can't get the concept in me head.

I hardly understand Marcus and Caius. Aro is just becoming familiar and I feel really dumb.

Okay, I could go into a deep opinion here, but I feel like I am back in school. Arrr! Basically, Edward is all about being as good as possible. He is just a good guy. Aro does not care about being good the way Edward does.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
Oh I think I must be in a very pecimistic mood. I can see how Edward is an angrier Carlisle. It is understandable. I don't think that Edward has more self control than Carlisle. They both enjoy suffering to a certain degree. Edward and Carlisle are so good at making themselves suffer.

I didn't think about it at all. I just accepted it. I wondered how Jasper is able to effect Bella's mind, as so few can. I wondered about Alice also, but I have come to terms with why Alice can.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications? I get so irritated at these one-sided conversations of Alice and Edward's. I can't remember now what I thought the first time I read it...and after reading the book 5 times, I still have to wait until the later chapters to put the facts together. Maybe I should pencil them in, so I won't get irritated when I read this part!

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi? Aro uses his "friendly enthusiasm" to get what he wants; reminds me of a Pastor I had. He also reminds me of Professor Umbridge from HP-- honey sweet voice, but cruel deadly intentions behind the sweet exterior.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why? Holy heck--Aro frightens the bejesus out of me. His gift- one touch of the hand, and he knows everything you've ever thought?? Talk about a total invasion of privacy. I remember getting chills the first time I read the part about his gift. Your mind is where you keep who you are, your sense of identity. It figures that the LEADER of the Volturi would have the most terrifying gift of the vampire world. Aro just creeeeeeeeps me out.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro? Well, blood is what vamps drink; if Bella's blood is so great, then of course, Aro would think it would be fantastic to feast upon. Edward thinks that by not drinking Bella's blood, keeping her alive, that he gets to know the person she is and love her. Had he acted on his bloodlust that first time he smelled her, he never would have found love.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions? Yeah, the part where Edward has more self-control than Carlisle confused me... I thought that Carlisle never killed humans. Wait, except when he changed his "children," but they were all but "dead..." he never fed off humans, right? Was Aro remembering something about Carlisle that we are never told? Ugh- now I'm more confused.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked Okay, I totally missed this part the first time around!!! It must have been very late, and I must have been reading for hours when I got to this part. CLEARLY, on page 474, Aro states that he wonders if Bella is also immune to Jane's powers. I didn't catch it until Alice tells Bella in Eclipse why Edward's, Aro's, and Jane's powers didn't effect her. The first time I heard SM say anything about this was in an interview this summer, as I had just found the books in July. All she said was that Bella had a private mind, and I was like, "Okay, and what does that mean???" I had NO CLUE as to how it worked, and obviously, SM couldn't tell us any more on the matter, as that would have totally given away Bella's power and spoiled BD before it came out.
kween_kanshie
Settled in Forks

Post by kween_kanshie »

What is Demetri's talent and what does it mean when she's like heidi wasn't the bait she was also the fisherman
italiangirl1577
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by italiangirl1577 »

kween_kanshie wrote:What is Demetri's talent and what does it mean when she's like heidi wasn't the bait she was also the fisherman
Demetri's talent is that he's a very very good hunter.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?Gosh, not exactly. I just figured that she was asking questions and he was explaining things to he or she was trying to calm him/warn him about things she saw. I really didn't think too much about what they were saying. I was more focused on Aro. I'd imagined that Edward was asking Alice how things might end up and Alice was trying to show Edward her visions, or her lack of one.

I think he is being very deceptive, the Volturi seem very manipulative and shady. Like a mafia or something, which I guess, essentially, is what they are. In this scene it seems to me that for whatever reason Aro doens't want to kill anyone at this time, but I don't think its because he has their best interest in mind. I think its for his own selfish motives. I think he expects to be able to force Alice, Edward, and Bella to join them at some point and he needs more time to think of how to do this. I think he is especially intrigued at the prospect of Bella as a vampire.

Well at first I was more frightened of Aro just because he is so strange and does all the talking, I almost felt like he was gonna snap any minute and do something terrible. His curiousity about the Cullen's and Bella is morbid to me, like he doesn't want to do anything to harm them at times, but that the evil is just under the surface? Caius was frightening to me to because he was so reactive. He seems dominant in his yelling and strong words, Aro is dominating in his presence and the reverie that the others have for him. Caius seemed the most like he might do something rash. I perceived Marcus exactly as Bella perceived him, bored, depressed, and disinterested. It seemed like he thought there was not much point to his existence in the Volturi/world. Even when he showed Aro his thoughts about Bella and Edward's relationship he was rather apathetic. He kind of slipped off my radar for most of the time.

I thought what Edward said was so awesome, because I know at one point there was a point that Edward would have agreed with Aro. Even though he's a 'vegetarian' when he first met Bella he came up with so many ways to kill her that I think at that point it did seem like a waste if he did not drink her blood. If Edward had not held Carlisle's vision and morals so highly I don't think he would have tried as hard as he did not to kill Bella in the beginning so he wouldn't let Carlisle down, the more he didn't kill her, the more he fell in love with her, and his view changed from it being a waste not to drink Bella's blood to it being more of a price. I love that Edward sees it as an "opportunity" to be with Bella. It humanizes his feelings there a little bit that he thinks he is not good enough for Bella, when we know that is exactly what she thinks of herself in regard to Edward. I like that they are on the same wavelength with that, though it doesn't seem that either one really knows it! Aro's opinion contrasts with everything that the Cullen's have worked so hard to do. Aro and the Volturi see drinking human blood as a natural necessity. The Cullens have a higher respect for the price of human life and what it means, they think that drinking human blood, while it may be natural, is also somewhat barbaric at hard to justify for themselves. I think this whole scene just illustrates the difference between regular vampires and vampires that have adopted Carlisle's vision.

Hmm, in a way I agree with both statements. I think Carlisle has a broader and stronger resistance to blood in general, he is not bothered by it at all anymore, and that says something. On the other hand, Edward is able to resist Bella's blood which calls to him more strongly than anyones blood calls to him, and most other vampires for that matter, by the power of his love for her. This might lend to the fact that his love is what is the strongest part of him. Because without it he would not have the strength to do what he does. I think in Twilight where he tells Bella that he would not be able to live with himself if he ever hurt her and that the thought has tortured him, he realizes how strong his love is. His desire to kill her is trumped by his need to be with her. He underestimates his strength also, he really didn't believe that he could help Bella after James bit her, and he really doesn't understand how he did help her without killing her after the fact. I think that when he was sucking the venom out his vampire urges were crushed by how much he loved her, wanted to take her pain away, and wanted her to survive. Sometimes his love is selfish- because he wants her so much, that he puts her in danger, but that just speaks to its intensity to me. So I think Edward embodies strength in a different way than Carlisle and its hard for me to compare the two as apples to apples because its a little more like apples to oranges for me.

As soon as I heard Stephenie say this I immediately thought of Edward's theory of why he couldn't hear her thoughts, that her thoughts were on a different frequency than everyone else. This kind of makes sense to me as a reason that Bella's mind is so protected. I don't think Bella herself really knows the reason that her mind is so private. I think it was something she was born with, and probably something that has strengthened as she has matured. We see in later stories (DHN) that Charlies shares a fraction of this trait. I find Bella's private minf a curiosity, just like Aro and others.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium