A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
They probaly had something to do with Bella.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
–adjective 1. apt or tending to deceive: The enemy's peaceful overtures may be deceptive.
2. perceptually misleading: It looks like a curved line, but it's deceptive.
I think that he just wants to trick them. Make them think good things. Idk.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
Caius is more frightening to me because he is kind of mean. I mean Aro is alright, he is kind of nice.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
Well the difference between the Volturi and the Cullens is that the Cullens don't want to harm humans. They like being around them, i think. The Volturi dont care who they kill.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I think that Edward has more self control. I understand fully that Carlisle deals with blood, and people more than Edward does. And that it has taken him a lot of time to be able to do that. But when Edward, he is able to resist killing Bella with every day that he spends with her. Testing himself. He has a lot more self control than he gives himself credit for.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
That she doesnt let people in. I didnt know about how it worked.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
When i read that part i really wasn't paying attention i was more focused on Aro, but i think Alice was trying to show Edward what the out come will be and what will they do to bella.

Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
I do believe that Aro is deceptive, and i think that he is an expert at it, even when not reading someones mind (i guess he has many years of doing this) hes able to compel others, but being around Edward he cant do this, which is bad luck for Aro.

Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
To me none of them scare me, there all my favorites (unless i met them in real life).
Aro would be very frightening to other vampires, not knowing what he is going to do to them, but he does give them a chance, were as Caius does not, i think he'd be more frightening, cause you'd know you'd only get one chance with him.
To me i think Marcus would be the most frightening out of all of them, and because we don't exactly know what he is capable of, he doesn't talk so we cant exactly go by what he says, if someone ticked him off there's no knowing what he could do.

Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
Aro is not vegetarian, so he doesn't know how horrible it is to take someones life, if he was in love like Edward loves bella i think he wouldn't want to kill bella, if we had put Aro's wife were bella is and Aro were Edward is i would like to know what Aro would do, would he kill her... or not??

Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I disagree, Carlisle is around blood everyday, and just imagine when Carlisle was first turn, how hard it was, yes i think it is very hard for Edward to be around bella, but im guessing that Carlisle would have had someone that smelled as beautiful as bella in the past, i see Carlisle walking away.

Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
I think that she hides her mind her self, but doesn't exactly know how she is doing it.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
I'm not sure.. maybe she was telling him how the whole Cliff Jump thing came about?

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
He seems so smooth, slick, and almost polite when he speaks. But we all know better. He's callous and cruel, but he is very deceptive in the way he talks to them all. It's unsettling, really.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
I think Aro is the most frightening. I think it would be terribly easy for him to use his cunning, smooth ways to trick someone into believing that he's something he's not. He could be very manipulative and dangerous. (Having said all that, I actually really like Aro. I have a thing for villains, and Aro is my favorite one... he makes me sqee)

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
Well, obviously if Edward drank Bella's blood, one of two things would happen: she would die (shudder) or she would become a vampire... both of which Edward doesn't want... one of which, he couldn't live with. Aro clearly doesn't understand this. By this statement, you really understand with a certain amount of clarity, how cold Aro is. How cold his lifestyle is. To casually speak of someone's death right in front of them.... You can see how strong Edward is, how perfectly against killing a person, any person, but especially Bella. I don't know how to describe how I feel about it.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I agree that Edward is a lot like an angrier Carlisle. Well, not angrier. Maybe more... angsty. I think that, while Edward has an astounding amount of self control, he does not match up to Carlisle, but comes very, very close. When Bella gets cut, he has to leave the room, understandably. And is is hard for him to stop drinking Bella's blood in the end of Twilight. Carlisle, however, fixes Bella's wounds, no problem. But keep in mind, Carlisle has had centuries to perfect the art, so to speak. Years and years to be able to be so close to her without killing her. Edward has had only a year, with months in between, to become as controlled as he is. Wait. Yes, I think Edward might have nearly the same amount of control. Because while it took Carlisle so long, it took Edward a much shorter amount of time to get where he is... given time, he and Carlisle would be equal. But I don't think it would be easy to surpass the level of control, just equal it.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

The outcome of what was going to happen, how to escape, the whole cliff diving thing...

He seems all nice and polite on the outside but he will do whatever it takes to get his way.

Aro scares me the most, he can see every thought you've ever had?! Yeesh! and he tries to seem all nice but what he is is a great collector. Marcus doesn't scare me for reasons that I have read off of SM website, Caius oh I hate him, I loath him he will do whatever it takes to create bloodshed! He's all die die die kill kill kill I swear I wish I could just smack him upside the head.

Aro doesn't value human life or love for that matter, creepy dude...and her blood would've been exceptionally sweet and it's almost like a prize pumpkin, or cow...with Edward though he values human life and hers more so because he loves her. He wants eternity with her.

Hmmm I think Edward may be correct but Aro has a point because Carlisle has never had a singer before :mrgreen: and he was able to keep himself in check enough to only kill lesser monsters when he did hunt humans.

I thought that it ment her subconsious blocked all that out...I dunno it's just what came to mind made sense to me.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

Just everything that had happened to get them there and what was going to happen to them now.

I thought he was fine there. I didn't really know what to think.

The power of Aro scares me, a little bit too personal. They were really all scary but that power is what was really stood out to me.

The lifestyle has a lot to do with it and also the fact that Edward loves her. They're just different.

I think he is stronger than Carlisle being that Bella's blood is the most potent blood he's ever tasted. I do think he doesn't know how to control his anger. So I agree with both of those points really. I'm too lazy to look for support in the text right now haha.

I had no idea why this was or what it meant at first, however, after reading breaking dawn I know this answer hahaha. :D
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to silly_bella for helping us with these questions!

1)Alice was sharing her visions as they happened in her mind to help Edward keep cool and she probably was asking a few questions of her own.

2)He pretends to be pleasant, non-threatening to have others let their guard down. When people do not feel threatened, they have a tendency to relax and not pay as close attention to their surroundings or what is said.

3)Caius is full on mean and does not hide his intentions. Aro hides behind gentle speeches and a soothing demeanor. Marcus I have not quite decided on him.

4)a. Aro sees Bella as food only, whereas Edward loves Bella and she is worth the pain he has to endure.
b. Drinking human blood offers no ability to create ties of mutual understanding and that leads to binds of love and commitment, not convenience. c.Aro does not have the capability of love and connections, Edward does.

5)I agree with Edward, because he has tasted human blood in his earlier years and Carlisle has resisted the draw therefore Carlise has shown his control better than Edward, but Edward overcame his temptation and is now Carlisle's equal I think.

6)That Bella had a very powerful control over her thoughts and the fact that she is a private person by nature, it became a supernatural gift for her in her vampire life. She basically can overcome most anything because of how strong her mind is and the fact that only she can let someone in and not be overcome by another 'power' if you will.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Alice was probably filling in Edward as to what Bella was up to since the Cullens left and since Alice's returned.

-Yes, I think Aro was trying to seem as nice and pleasant so he could make everyone feel more relaxed, and therefore get what he wanted, because everyone would be relaxed and trusting him.

-Aro, definetly. Like in the question before, Aro is deceptive, therefore more dangerous and harder to figure out what his real intentions are. Marcus and Caius are probably more predictable and easy to read.

-Edward chose not to drink Bella's blood, because he is genuinely a good person and he believes in not killing innocent people for his own gain. Aro is a selfish person who would do anything if it meant bettering himself, even if it meant killing innocent people, which is he does everyday. Edward's character is of someone who is smart and caring, while Aro's is selfish and single-minded.

-I think both assesments are correct to a degree. Edward is much like Carlisle, only more hot-headed. Also, Edward self-control is just as amazing as Carlisle, and he acheived it in less time then Carlisle, so to an extent both assesments are somewhat correct.

-I just thought it meant she had a private mind and she was somehow able to close it off to other people, that's why Edward, Aro and Jane couldn't use their talents on Bella.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Alice was probably explainging to him why Bella wasn't dead at that moment. She was probably also scolded him, lightly, for doing something so stupid.

Aro tries to get anyone around him to trust him not to hurt them. And once he gains their trust, he can convince them to do anything he wants and eventually kill them if he them less than useful.

With his mask of kindness, Aro is frightening in a way because you don't know what he is truely like or how blood-thirty he may be. Marcus doesn't seem all that frightening because he is so laid back and uncaring. Caius is the one that is the most frightening right away because he doesn't waste his time masking it like the other two.

Aro and the rest of the Volturi look down at humans, which is an explanation to way they still drink human blood. Aro can not understand the attachment Edward has with this 'mere human.' Also, Aro doesn't feel much toward anyone. He can not comprehend the love that is shared between Edward and Bella. This shows just how much more human Edward and the rest of the Cullen's are compared to the Volturi.

Edward has more control than Carlisle with Bella, but he may not have as much control over all. Carlisle has changed six vampires now while Edward has only suck the blood of one human and stopped, though this was remarkable in itself because it was Bella's blood. But if it had been anyone but Bella, I doubt he would have had the strength to pull away.

I thought that it was like this invisible sheild that surrounded her mind and nothing could get through it. I guess I was kinda right.
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analysing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
I thought Alice was explaining everything she had found out about Bella's life without Edward and exactly what had happened on the cliff and so on.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behaviour is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
I don't really know. I personally thought he seemed insane.

Aro is the most frightening to me. He's just unpredictable, I think. He tries to pretend to be all friendly and 'good' but he really isn't. It's all a cover for his true nature.
The less frightening one would be Marcus to me. I don't know. I sometimes get the idea he's a bit too lazy to actually do anything bad on his own.

Well, Aro doesn't love Bella and I'm pretty sure he doesn't love anyone the way Edward loves Bella at all. That means he just doesn't have a clue about how great that feeling can be to someone.
Then if course there's the fact that the Volture aren't 'vegetarians' but the Cullens are. It's part of the Cullen's lifestyle to not kill Bella so it must be easier to resist in a way.

I don't know. It depends on how you look at it, I think. I don't know how Carlisle would react if he'd come along someone who smells to him the way Bella smells to Edward. Maybe he'd have an easier time resisting the smell, I'm not sure. It does seem like Carlisle has more control, but I can't tell for sure.

I thought she had some sort of an imaginary 'shell' around her mind where nothing could get through.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications? They were probably arguing about Bella's vampirization.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi? I thought he was just really friendly.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why? Aro is because he seems all friendly, but then he just might decide to have you for a snack!

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro? It's the difference between the Cullens and everyone else; they only see the momentary benefits instead of the long-time ones.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions? I think he is like Carlisle in that he tries very hard to be good, but at this point I don't think he may have quite as much control as Carlisle.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked. I thought it was random; some she was immune to and others she wasn't.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com