Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Verdict

Post by sarah! »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
~ Bella becoming a vampire.
2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
~he was overly friendly.
3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
~i thought ARO was most frightening because even though he seems kindof nice, he could use his power against you in a frightening way.
4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
~ The Volturi don't really give humans a chance, but the Cullens do, which is why Edward is able to be so close to Bella.
5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
~I believe Carlisle has more control. Carlisle has lived longer than Edward has.
6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
~I just thought she was different and she thought things much more different than other people so no one could reach her mind. lol
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
Alice was probably feeding Edward her plan, and Edward was probably seeing Aro's intentions and knowing Alice's plan would work.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
He is a big icky jerk. He is trying to get what he wants without any regardto others. He's greedy. Idk if that answers the question but w/e lol.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
Caius. He seems more evil then Aro. Marcus seems like he doesn't give a crap. Aro seems like he could be kind if he really wanted but I didn't get that vibe from Caius.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
I think their lifestyle choice is the difference. Edward hates the idea of hurting humans but Aro doesn't see anything wrong with it. Aro has a harsher personality than Edward. Definitly not as selfless.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
I think Edward has more self control than Carlisle because Carlisle never came across a human that smelled that good to him. As Edward said only Jasper and Emmett have ever experienced it.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked.
I thought that she hurt herself so many times that she became immune HAHA that would be so Bella.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications? Bella's mortality.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi? He always is trying to find a way to get what he wants.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why? Caius! He's really harsh, and that scares me. But Aro is a close second because he seems bipolar.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro? Again, Aro wants something, he takes it.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions? It's a tie.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a private mind. Explain what you thought this meant the first time you heard it. How did you think it worked? I had no idea.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

Yes.

I didn't expect him to have any humor...sarcastic or not.

For some reason, Marcus seems scarier to me. Aro seems to be the ring leader and possibly Marcus and Caius right underneath him along w/ Jane. Not sure..def. got mixed up here.

I believe Edward says this b/c he says it is an opportunity and he is in love w/ Bella. He hasn't had any relationship since he was a vampire and he never imagined one so strong that he'd die for it. The lifestyle diferences show the Cullens like to be more modern, try to have normal lifes, and they are more humane. I beleive the contrast between Aro and Edward shows that Edward is more caring and loving. It shows he is strong and can resist. Also, he will risk anything to protect Bella..a human!!!

I see both sides and can't really agree. I see Carlisle being stronger b/c he works in a hospital and is around blood constantly. I see Edward being stronger b/c he is around Bella and she is 'exactly his brand of heroin'

Very odd and ironic that this is the kind of woman Edward would fall in love w/, but I just love it!!!! I think it is cool that the Volturi seem to be mystified by this.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Obviously Alice can't hear Edward's thoughts so I'm sure she was asking him questions. Her questions were probably yes or no's because Edward coudln't really answer her. I'm sure she wanted to know how Aro knew so much and what his intentions were for them.

The phrase "kill them with kindness" comes to mind lol. The Volturi are looking for a reason to keep Edward and Alice. They are also looking for a reason to have Bella killed so they are waiting for an answer that they do not like. A bad answer would give them a reason to do something about Alice, Edward and Bella. Aro is being ridiculously polite because he wants them to think he is very innocent and has no alterior plan.

Marcus would be the least scary. He really does not seem to care enough to do anything and he does not seem interested at all in whatever Aro's theatrics are. Although, I do believe he'd do something drastic if he had to, as they say "it's the quiet ones you have to worry about". Caius would be second scariest. He is very obvious about what he would like to be done with Bella and I believe he would have no problem killing her. In my opinion Aro is most frightening. He is overly polite and not likely to tell you what his actual plans are. He wants you to trust him so that he can find a flaw in what you are saying and use it against you. To me, this makes him the most lethal.

When you use the term "waste" to mean you are misusing something, it leads you to believe you could be doing something better with that thing. Aro does not understand why Edward would choose to "misuse" Bella's blood by not drinking it, therefore he thinks Edward is wasting it. Edward, however, sees drinking Bella's blood as a waste of her life. He would rather endure discomfort (the price he pays) and get to be with Bella than kill her. The Volturi only see humans as potential worriors or as dinner and nothing more. The Cullens remember being human for the most part and realize how precious a human life is. Both Edward and Aro are very smart, but Edward still has human capabilities such as love and control. Aro only sees opportunities to make himself happy and does not care how he gains that happiness.

Edward is definetly a version of an angrier Carlisle. He has Carlisle's care and consideration for others but with his own temper. While Edward obviously has quite a bit of self-control, I think he is right, Carlisle has more. Edward has to fight the temptation to be around Bella all the time, but there is always the chance he could lose his control. Carisle has had hundreds of years to perfect his self-control and is able to work at a hospital full of bleeding people. I'd even be willing to bet that, even at his most thirsty, he is so controled that he could be around someone who's blood sings to him and it would not even phase him.

I had no idea how it worked. I figured she was just so worried about Edward and being able to get all of them home that her mind wasn't capable of accepting Aro or Jane. I honestly dont have any idea lol.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Aro discusses that Bella should either die, or become one of them, otherwise she could ruin the secrecy that they've kept for thousands of years. Alice is probably thinking of her visions of Bella being a vampire, and maybe the conversation she and Bella had earlier. Edward probably realises now, that it will happen.
Aro is overly nice, and has a unusual sense of humour. He uses this to get people to do what he wants, or say what he wants. He uses it to trick people.
Marcus doesn't really do much, hes just apart of Aros little possy. Caius always looks for reasons to kill people. He will find any little mistake or flaw, and use it against someone, and try and manipulate Aro into agreeing to kill someone. He is probably the second most frightening. Aro is the most frightening. He has the power to do pretty much anything. And he uses kindness and niceness to get what he wants. He's truely evil on the inside, and doesn't care about anyone but himself.
Aro doesn't care about anyone but himself. I don't think hes ever been in love(which is why he think's it's a waste. If he was in love, he would think differently), or remembers what it's like to be a human. He doesn't care about other peoples lives or feelings. Edward has compassion and understanding for other people, he is in the most passionate love, and I think he remembers parts of being human, which explains why their lifestyles are different.
5. Aro says that Edward reminds him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
Carlisle isnt the one risking the life of the one he loves.. Carlisle isn't standing infront of the Volturi just basically waiting to be killed.. Carlisle doesn't have to try so hard to hold back from drinking the most delicious blood that hes ever smelled. Ofcourse Edward is angrier than him. For Carlisle it's a piece of cake to be around blood and humans. Aro says that Bellas blood sings to Edward, and that Aro finds it difficult to see how Edward hasn't drank her blood. He feels that it takes a lot of self control to be able to hold back. He thinks it takes more self control to be around the most delicious blood, than it is do be able to cope with normal humans blood all the time. I'm not sure whos evaluation I agree with more. Sure, Carlisle has a lot of self control to be around lots of blood all the time, but he's had more time that Edward to get used to it. Edward has to be around the blood that sings to him all the time.. and he hasn't slipped up yet. Edward is in love - which is why he has powerful self control. I think Edward is stronger than Carlisle. It takes a stronger person to be around chocolate cake, and not eat it than it is for a person to be surrounded by plain sponge cake.
I thought that Bella must have a barrier around her mind.. It made me realise that Bella is no ordinary human.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

Alice probably explained everything that was going on, and what would happen next. I'm sure Edward was considering everything and trying to tell her something silently, like maybe a 'Thanks for coming to save me and bringing Bella.'
He comes across as a gracious and cheerful person, making it seem too friendly and overly open. He's just too nice, making it seem like he just wants them to be happy, he cares about them.
We know better.

Marcus just kind of sits around and watches, he doesn't seem like he's have enough life in him to come across as scary. Caius..he's not really scary, just grumpy and annoying. Aro, however, the whole act he puts on...it's between Caius and Aro for me..although there is something about silence and just watching that seems pretty creepy about Marcus too..
To Aro, she is food and it's like wasting chocolate when all you eat is tasteless bread and water, the very best thing wasted for what seems to be to him no reason. Edward doesn't see her as 'food' obviously. To his lifestyle, not killing her is better than killing her, he loves her and it would destroy him to hurt her, even more so than any other human. To the Volutri, humans are just food. To the Cullens, they are people, which the Cullens are too, at least they try, and they have lives that the Cullens won't take away from them.
I think Aro might actually be right here, to some extent. Edward is definitely an angrier Carlisle. However, Carlisle has resisted a lot too, and I doubt he would hurt Bella is she smelled that way to him, not after so many years of practice and never tasting human blood.
I figured if it had anything to do with her mind, their talents weren't effective on her.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Maybe Alice sees what's going to happen and they plan to setup Aro to save Bella?

He seems completely welcoming, unlike Marcus and Caius. Very playful without a care for others, like the reckless use of Jane.

Aro. His charisma and recklessness put Edward down without a problem and who knows what would have happened to Bella if her powers did work.

Aro for quick satisfaction whereas the teachings of Carlisle to Edward give him love and allow him to give in to feelings for Bella.

Both? Perhaps Carlisle tried to be with human women, before Esme, and was never able to keep his control unlike Edward. A secret Carlisle has, maybe, that Edward doesn't know about that maybe Aro does? And yes, Edward is angrier than Carlisle.

That she blocked out anything dealing with her thoughts, a type of mental power manifesting upon itself.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think that Alice is probably trying to see the outcomes of the situation they are in, and feeding it to Edward. I also think that she is sharing her plans and ideas with him, to make sure they are on the same page.

Aro is overly polite. He even uses humor. But he is cruel. He tries to make them comfortable, and then hope that they will slip up and give them a reason to kill them.

Caius is tfrightening. He is looking for a reason to kill, he wants it. But Aro has the power to push his will through it seems, and he is also very decieving. He puts on a charade, and that is very dangerous because you never know where you have him. So it's a tie between the two of them. If I had to choose, I would say Caius. Marcus seems like he just doesn't care enough. But it is dangerous that he can see relationships, and give that information to Aro and Caius.

Edward has experienced true love, whereas Aro probably has not. Aro sees humans as nothing more than useful tools and food, wheras for Edward Bella is the most important thing in his life. Aro is cruel, while Edward has a loving nature. And Aro still hunts people, while for Edward that would be what would really make him a monster. They have very different moral standards. For Edward it would actually be a waste to drink Bella's blood. She is so precious to him, and his craving could never change that. Aro would consider it a treat to drink her blood.

Edward is definitely an angrier version of Carlisle. They both have this compassion for others, they are good people and their family looks up to both of them. The question of self-control is very difficult. In a way Edward is stronger, because he has actually been out there and killed people, and then stopped completely whereas Carlisle has never even tasted it except for when he bit his family. So Edward knows what he is missing, and he still resists. And Edward resists Bella. Her blood is so potent for him, and that is something that Carlisle has never experienced. Edward is able to shut of his nature, and kiss the girl that smells so wonderful to him. But Carlisle is so strong in the way that he has always resisted human blood. And he works as a doctor, exposed to human blood all the time. That takes immense strength. So I would say that they are equally strong. I believe Edward denies it because in his view he can never be like Carlisle. He admires Carlisle more than anything.

I really didn't know. I just thought that it was something very special with her brain. And it was a bit strange, since she was not immune to Alice and Jasper.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

yes, by the actions and steps that they take to get themselves out of the situation, it can be reallly obvious what they are saying.

it took me by surprise. aren't the volturi supposed to be frightening. aro never scared me. even in breaking dawn. he's a very interesting character to me.

caius is who i consider as the scariest, for obvious reasons. marcus is flat out funny and aro as i said before is just an interesting character in this setting.

i think your past and you memories contribute the most to your personality. edward has had many experiences that cause him to think falsely of himself. aro on the other hand, to me, seems full of himself... :lol:

i think edward does. to edward, bella is the most "mouth watering" human alive. we never learn that carlisel has had any experiences like this.

fate works in strange ways... thats all i can say!
Betting on Alice.