A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by Alphie »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
twilighter4eva
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by twilighter4eva »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
That she really was good at the stock market. Also, that she had been watching for what might have happened, so she had to be prepared. And that was one of the things she had to be ready for.

Yes. Once when she was running across the square to find Edward.

I was like, "Okay, Edward, snap out of it! You're gonna get killed if you're not careful!"

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
That she must have some great authority over the Volturi, like she was the leader's "daughter" or something and could get whatever she wanted.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
I thought that he wanted to protect her, and try to say he's sorry. He wouldn't try to do it outright with the Volturi right there, because they might try to use Bella as Edward's weakness.
"Uh, I had an adrenaline rush. It's very common. You can google it."- Edward

"How do we even know she's Italian? Her name's Bella."
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

Obviously she knew how things worked around there and its better to give them too much than to sit there and make it obvious to everyone else what you are doing.

The whole time she was running across the square i didnt think she was going to make it, partly because there was so many people there and its hard to manuever around that many people.
I wanted to scream out NO!!! they arent!!!!!!!!
I figured she was a very very powerful woman with no problem using that power

I knew that he still loved her.....and thats all....i havent really thought it over that much, lol
smilsons4life
Settled in Forks

Post by smilsons4life »

I was very confused of how the cullens were so rich!!! :?

I kept jumping back and forth between yes and no, at first yes i thought she was then the clock rang and i was like "no!!! shes not going to make it!!" then when the clock kept ringing i thought maybe she might but she might not either i was very confused! :?

I was like "what the frick!?!?! he's dumb! why doesnt he belive shes there??" :x

honestly i thought they had a good relationship or something, like that she was there to protect edward fromt he guards :oops:

I thought(or hoped) that he actually still did love her then i was mad when bella said he was going to leave cause i would have freaked if he left her again!!! :x
Sunshine
Settled in Forks

Post by Sunshine »

I think she was just playing it safe. If she gave too little, the officer wouldn't have let her in.

No, I already knew there was going to be a third book in the series.

I have to say I was frustrated. If I was Bella, I might have slapped him. But then again, he wouldn't have felt it...

I thought she must have some sort of power that the others didn't stand a chance against.

I knew he still loved her. That may have been because again, I knew there was a sequel.
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

I thougth her bribe was good. But I do not think it would have taken that much money to bribe an officer.

2. Did you ever think Bella was not going to make it in time to save Edward?

I knew she would but I was still anxious when she was running through the streets of Volterra, Italy to save him.

3. How did you repsond when Edward assumed they were both dead?

I really did not understand what he was saying until Bella said I'm not dead and neither are you.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her- be honest?

I first thought that he might like Jane but then I was like no no that can't be true so I then thought that it was because Jane has some kind of power over them and that makes them really respect her.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding and Protecting her?

I loved it. I think it was so like him and that he still cared for her. Which is why I am confused by why Bella did not think he cared her anymore. That did not make sense to me.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I think she saw how things were going to go the moment Bella decided to accompany her to Italy, and therefore knew exactly what was necessary and what was going to happen, including the fact that Bella would have to be the one to run through the city.

No way. Edward could never die in my head, lol.

I got a goofy grin on my face, partially because he assumed he wasn't in a bad place since Bella was there and partially because be accidentally admitted Carlisle might be right.

I had no idea what was going on with her, but I didn't assume she was weak...after all, look at Alice!

I just knew he still loved her, and that he was protecting her out of love.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I think she was playing it safe figuring it might take a large sum of money to get into the protected city.

Yes when the clock tower started ringing and she saw him almost take a step into the light I was literally crying.

I didn't really get thats what he meant. I thought when he said amazing Carlisle was right he meant about Bella being alive. So I after I figured that out I thought wow Edward and all this time I thought you were smart. lolz

I thought she must be pretty powerful considering how huge Felix is and how tiny she is.

After he stopped trying to kill himseld because she was dead I sort of figured he was still in love with her. Never the less when he left her in the beginning I believed him too and I cried (again =])
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

well, i think she knew it was a protected city and that there would probably be many ways for them to be stopped from getting in.

nah, i dont think stephenie could do that to us.

i thought it was cute. lol

i just assumed that she had some special power that they coudnt fight against.

he was protecting her because he loved her. it was so sweet and showed how much he still loved her and cared about her.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
Jessi
Settled in Forks

Post by Jessi »

Alphie wrote:1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I would say that she definitely looked to her visions for advice on how to navigate their way to Edward. Clearly she would have seen the officer being a problem and brought the right amount he would need to lay off. Maybe he had some gambling debt that was exactly the amount she gave him so he couldn't refuse. I never bet against Alice.

I was scared that she wouldn't because I started to think he would never come back. New Moon was so hard for me to read. It is the only book that I can't re-read every time I start the series over again. Its just too darn depressing.
OMG I was so frustrated. I thought, oh here it comes, he is being stupid and now Bella is going to get caught up in a NEW mess.

I really had no idea, but I was literally on the edge of my seat waiting to find out!

First, I wanted to slap some sense into Bella. I love the girl but seriously sometimes she needs to get out of her own head and get with the program! He had to love her! I just knew he was back.
I found my Edward.