A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by footloose »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I'm not very surprised...I mean it's a well-known fact that the Cullens are very rich, so it comes to me as no surprise that Alice has that much money, especially when they're in such dangerous mission.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?

Since I read the series a bit late, I knew she was going to make it, but still it was very nerve-wracking.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?
I kinda didn't understand his response at first and later after i understood I was very touched because it clearly shows that he still loves her as much as before, that he only wants her and no one else.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
I'm actually still confused because even though Jane's power is terrible, it's not like Edward can't protect Bella from her.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
It's a combination of missing her so much, relief that she's alive, regret and guilt for leaving her behind and realization that they are in danger.
Annabanana
Wandering Through Town

Post by Annabanana »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I didn't think so much about it, but it didn't suprise me that she had that much money. I knew the cullens were rich.
When I think more about it now then she probably gave him alot of money in a hurry since they only had a few minutes left before edward was going into the light, and just hoped it would be enough for him to let her go..

Yea, I was going from 'she's gonna make it!' to 'oh no she to late!' and back again all the time.. but I still had a little of that feeling that I knew she would be there in time!

I thought it was kinda annoying that he couldn't tell it was the REAL bella alive but all he said was very touching, it really show that he still loved bella. I think I had some tears in my eyes while reading

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
I was thinking something like she was known for being very powerful, edward 'knew' she was stronger than him and that's why he gave up, but I knew he could take her!

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
I think she didn't wanted to have to high hopes about him still wanting and loving her, I mean he had left her once I kinda understand her why she would think that but of corse I knew edward still loved her!
mandyb7
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by mandyb7 »

I have a question about something in the chapter and I hope this is the right place to ask it...
When Bella is running to Edward in the square and reaches him does he ever actually step into the sun light? I have read that part many times and I can't seem to figure it out if he does or not. Maybe I'm just missing something but I can't tell exactly what happens in that second Bella reaches Edward. If someone could clarify that for me I would greatly appreciate it lol. Thanks!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
WA Addict
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

1-i think it means that she was ready for anything and also that the cullens are rich (no duh).

2-yes, but what would've happend then?

3-i said "WAKE UP!!!!!!!!" i really wanted them to kiss or somthin exiteng the "were dead"

4- idk i figured she would give them i hard time.

5- i thought it was a little weird, but hey, at least she survived
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
Apples and Tulips
Settled in Forks

Post by Apples and Tulips »

I thought that the Cullens had accumulated a lot of money over time and it had developed interest. It would be very easy to have a lot of money if you don't have to pay for food (and possess the ability to forsee trends in the stock market). I think she had so much because she would go to any length to save Edward and knew that it would not be easy.

Sometimes not. When she ran through the group of men, and she was right by the clock but still couldn't see him, I thought he had already stepped out into the light and had been instantly hidden by the crowd. But other than that, I was not concerned at all. Stephenie wouldn't do that to us!

I thought it was silly. I mean, if he thinks vampires go to hell (actually, to nowhere), why was Bella there? He told her many times that she was an unspoiled soul. Where did she go wrong?

I thought she was the first, most powerful vampire. Weird, I know.

I thought he was showing his affection for her and how much he missed her. . . .
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?
I thought it was silly. I mean, if he thinks vampires go to hell (actually, to nowhere), why was Bella there? He told her many times that she was an unspoiled soul. Where did she go wrong?
allow me to answer this. Despite his belief that vampires go to hell, Edward still hopes that Carlisle is right, that there's a place for them in heaven. Which is why Bella confronted him later on this:
"If you really believed that you'd lost your soul, then when I found you in Volterra, you would have realized immediately what was happening, instead of thinking we were both dead together. But you didn't—you said 'Amazing. Carlisle was right,'" I reminded him, triumphant. "There's hope in you, after all."
Bellbird Cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bellbird Cullen »

I never thought twice about the fact that Alice had so much cash handy - Bella always got the vibe that the Cullens were rich and so it didn't seems at all out of place. I gathered Alice bribed the guard with so much dosh because she couldnt lose seconds mucking around with money when all she needed was to be SURE that she could get into Volterra ASAP.

There were definetely times where i absolutely didn't think Bella would make it - but it was then that my subconscious comforted me with 'OF COURSE SHE MAKES IT - EDWARD CAN'T DIE IN ONLY THE SECOND BOOK!'. So the part of the time i was relatively relaxed, assuming that Bella would make it.

I couldn't help but scream on the inside to him to GET IN THE SHADE ALREADY!!!! The juxtaposition between Edwards serene clamness and Bella's frustrated urgency was what had me on the edge of my seat - how so much, life and death, rested in that moment...

I thought she was a sidekick of high-anking Volturi with some kind of formidable power that nobody/vampire would want to have toexperience if they didn't obey her...NOT BAD EH!

I thought he was truely, madly, deeply in love with Bella - would never, ever leave her again, and wouldn't let go of her for fear of existing with her again - EDWARD WAS BACK FOR GOOD!
The Bellbird who fell for the Edward...
the element met its maker and blushed...

TEAM EDWARD FOR...EVER.
mixie
Settled in Forks

Post by mixie »

I think it was good to be on the sure side and offer him alot of money, I mean who wouldn't do it for that much money? And money don't really mean anything to the Cullens, I guess they really have alot of it

Well I knew there were still two books so Edward couldn't die, but i thought that she wouldn't get there in time and they would all be captured by the Volturi and nearly killed, but they would get out of it somaway. I really didn't think she would get there efore he stepped out in the sun.

It was so sweet of him to think he was in "heaven" when he saw Bella, and that actually convinced me that he still loved Bella. But all I could really think of was for him to get out of there, fast !!!

I assumed she was someone you didn't argue, probably because she was powerful

I couldn't really believe that they were together at first, I had waited for Edward to come back fo so long. But he didn't really fool me when he told he didn't want Bella anymore (NM, The End), I had to much faith in their love and I knew it wasn't something overgoing. Also, when ou read MS you can sort of understand Edward, so I knew he was actually trying to protect Bella all the time
TEAM EDWARD
Do I dazzle you?
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

I wasn't thinking about that. I just couldn't stop wondering how the officer had known to speak English to them. I mean, they the car so it's not very logical to assume it had American or even British license plates, was it? And then I thought about how it's kind of weird that the officer just accepted it without staring at it for a while. I mean, he probably doesn't get in contact with American dollars often, now does he? Wouldn't it have been a normal reaction for him to think about it for a while, maybe just to calculate exactly how much euros that money were. That's what I'd do anyway.
Now I think Alice give him that much money because she couldn't risk giving him not enough and him arresting them for whatever-it's-called-in-English.

Maybe for a brief moment.

It made me smile. It was kind of funny, I thought.

Idk. I just thought there must've been something special about her to scare Edward.

That he wanted to protect her forever and that he had missed her and so on.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~lol.. i thought the bribe was hilarious! i love alice! :)

~no i knew something would happen and she would be united with him again.

~honestly, i laughed. lol..

~i knew something was up, but i wasn't really sure why they would respect a small person so much.

~i think it was a very sweet gesture and i think edward did this because he is very protective of her. Even if he didn't love her "that way" anymore, i still think he would have did the things he did. :)
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!