A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Moorea
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by Moorea »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

On the one hand, I thought that, being Alice, she had forseen that she might need a huge amount of cash. And on the other hand, I was -again- amazed at how much money these Cullens seem to have! :D

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?

I have to admit, I was torn during this passage. The crowd was so dense that I thought she wouldn't make it in time. But in the back of my mind, I was thinking "Oh come on! Bella and Edward are the very reason why she wrote these series of books in the 1st place! She can't kill one now!"

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?

WAKE UP! My blood pressure went to high and I was so into the story that I snapped at the book :oops:

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

I thought she was an evil child, like Damian in The Omen. She always reminds me of Damian for some reason...

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?

That he was still in love with her. Even more so now that he knew how it felt to live in a world without Bella. I was really moved by the way he protected her at th entrance of the tunnel, always suspicious of the 2 other Volturi.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer? I thought it was funny.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? No, not really. I always expect happy endings.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? I was confused a bit. Didn't he expect to feel something?

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! That she was a crazy psycho killer. Or something like that.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her? He loves her!! He loves her!!!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
katiesueboo
Settled in Forks

Post by katiesueboo »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

Bella says earlier in the book that money meant next to nothing to the Cullens, I think she just used that much to bribe the officers to ensure she got through (though i can't imagine anyone even trying to stop alice.

Oh yes, when she was running across the square. She's just SO clumsy.

I'll be honest, I was too busy jumping up and down when i found out that she made it in time to think about what he said.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

"Damn she's powerful"

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?

I hoped it was real....no just being nice.
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer? I was shocked, but I assumed that she had a vision that she needed that much.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? YES! I was hyperventalating the whole time.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? I thought, "Wow, he's lost it."

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! At first I laughed because she's so tiny, but then I realized that she's the little EVIL thing that she is!

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her? HE LOVED HER!!! LE DUH!!!
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
twilady
Settled in Forks

Post by twilady »

It again reinforces to me that money does not mean anything really to the Cullens. They have amassed so much over the past 100 years that it has no meaning to them really. She probably did not think about the amount, just what she had around.

Nope, I knew that would happen
I loved that he thought he was in heaven with her....he truly believes in an afterlife, even for him.
She could hurt Bella and he had no defense but to give in so Bella would not be harmed.
He was in awe that she was even there.
DoNotFeartheDark
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by DoNotFeartheDark »

I thought it only proves that money is like, not really that important and they don't have a fit on using or bribing people with it.

2.Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?
OMG YES! I was on the edge of my seat and i was really tense and anxious. I thought, there's no way she's gonna make it. 1)Its too far 2) Theres too many people around 3)THE SUN WAS GETTING HIGHER!! When she tripped in the fountain, I was, AHHHH!! NOOO TOO LATE!! My heart was pounding uber fast. I've read the book at least four times, and i never lose the sense of anxiety and excitment.

I was all like, Edward, NOOO YOU BOTH ARE ALIVE!!!! snap out of it!! I was anxious while Bella tried to convince him that they were both alive

Well i was thinking, What is this little girl doing, thinking she's all that? I honestly didn't know what to make of her. I didn't know why she was there. I kinda read real fast, trying to figure out what's gonna happen, so i had to reread that part....

I thought, He still loves her. he was LYING when he left. The whole story built up to this piont, when you realize that he still truly loves her.
Monica Romela, the Spaz of the Mafia; The Cheerful Assassin
Image Banner courtesy of Cullen_Lover
Co-Founder of ALESW; Awesome League of Extroadinary Skit Writers. Yes, it's sparkly.
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

I don't know. I guess she was just trying to "buy" time. No pun intended.
I knew there were 2 more books that he was in. But I read it like I dindn't know.
I was so impatient for him to snap out of it so they could get to safety out of the sunlight. (only in a Twilight book is the safe place out of the sunlight. lol. :lol: )
She scared me. Just because I could tell she was powerful.
I knew he was being romantic and still loved her. it made me sooooooooooo happy!!!
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
EdwardsOtherLove
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardsOtherLove »

I just thought that all of the Cullen's had piles of cash at the ready. As far as how much to bribe? I think she went over the top to ensure that they got through quickly. Why waste precious time over money, when they have plenty.

Of course! Or the series would have ended.

I thought "wake up stupid, don't step into the sun!"

I was confused. I thought "why does this woman make Edward give up hope"?

I knew he still loved her. She risked her life to save him, and there is no way that he would want her in harms way. He wanted to do what ever it took to get her out alive.
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

Since Alice has been around for awhile and she deals in the stock market, it didn't surprise me.

I thought she would at the very last second...and was absolutely right.

I didn't think he would react like that at all.

I automatically assumed he had a possible run in w/ her or he knew alot from Carlisle. Also, I thought she was extremely strong..maybe strongest..and that she had a power beter than Edward's.

I had mixed emotions here and I'm sure Edward did too. He was protecting her and was possibly mad at Alice for bringing her here, but at the same time he is glad to see her again..ALIVE.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
MySunJB21
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MySunJB21 »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?I think Alice knew because she couldn't use her phsycial apperance to "dazzel" the officer she had to use the next best thing. I think the Cullens are always prepared for whatever human interaction they may encounter.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? I was pretty anxious that for sure! I knew it was going to be down to the last wire.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? I did what most of us did I'm sure...cried! Edward became so human at the moment for me.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! I could tell she was very powerful.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?I personally didn't understand why she was thinking that the first time I read it. I hurried through it so quickly Edwards words at the beginning didn't sink in for me. Personally I don't know how she could think he was acting only to protect her, to me his love was written all over his face.

Banner and Avator by the talented ForJazz