A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by sazykid »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I have to say, I thought it was very smooth of Alice. The Cullens are quite wealthy so I wasn't surprised she had that much cash on hand. I don't think the amount of cash she gave him was the "required" amount to give. It would have taken more than a few hundred bucks, but a roll of 1000 dollar bills was probably excessive. I'm sure Alice was just covering her bases with the amount.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?
I knew she would make it, probably in the nick of time, but it still made me nervous to think about how close she was cutting it.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?
At first I was happy to see how happy he was to have Bella back. After that brief moment I just wanted to shout at him to move already lol. I wanted to pick him up and move him myself, because he did not seem to get how dire the situation was. I was kind of surprised though, when he thought they were both dead. I kind of thought he would have been quicker to figure out what was going on and that he didn't actually do anything to get himself killed.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
I thought she was going to be the reasonable one and break up the fight. I figured Edward knew her and knew that she would be on his side of things, and she would let them leave.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
Ok, I knew from the moment he left that he still loved her. So I was sure he was protecting her in the tunnel because he loved her and wanted her to be safe. Although, I'm not sure why he didn't just pick her up and walk at a vampire pace to get things over with.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer? I couldn't believe she had that much cash, that would be awesome! I saw the bribe as a necessary evil to get to save Edward.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? Well since Eclipse was already out when I first read the saga I knew she did.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? I thought it was kind of funny at first.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! I couldn't understand why his attitude about them leaving safely would have changed so much by this small creature.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her? I thought it was because he still loved her & cared about her and wanted to make sure she would be okay.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I just think shes very thorough, and there was no time to mess around. You never know, the guard might not have settled for like, $100? She knew giving him loads would speed things up. I wasn't shocked, because I knew the Cullens were rich.. But I didn't know they were that rich. Tehe.
A small part in me thought It might be too late, but I wasn't scared he would die.. I don't know. I just knew she would eventually save him.
This part really annoyed me. I expected him to be sobbing with joy.. to actually have Bella standing there infront of him, after him thinking she was dead, and being away from her for so long. But I understand.
4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
I don't know. I thought she might've been like the leader/Queen of the Volturi or something.
5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
I knew he still loved her.. I didn't think what Bella thought. Bella was right there, with him. I thought it was sweet but worried because something might happen to them. Edward would know what was going on, and was worried, so ofcourse he would protect her.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

It amused me. I was sitting there rolling my eyes thinking, 'Of course Alice saves the day by stealing a car and bribing them to let her in.' Haha... :lol:
*sigh* For the LAST time, no.
I didn't catch that at first, but I was mostly like, 'HE'S HHEEERREEE!!! awww, silly Edward, no you are alive.' I was really happy.
I was preoccupied with Edward there. Couldn't think clearly, you see. But I'm sure I just thought that she was a small and devious little evil person, I figured she could do something special. I mean, I'm small and look at me. And look at Alice. Size means nothing.
Because he looooooooves her!!! <3<3<3<3 Duh.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I knew the Cullens were rich. So the amount wouldn't matter to Alice. I think she just wanted to be on the safe side, so she brought a lot of money.

No I didn't..But I felt tense anyway. Such a stressful situation, to run and run and never getting there.

At first, I thought it was kind of sweet that he belived they were together in an after-life. But then I was almost screaming: Wake up Edward, you're not dead and you have to move..

Since Edward surrendered when she came, I realized that she must be extremely powerful and dangerous.

He loved her. Like he had the whole time.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I think it just shows how much money the Cullens really have and how it isnt that important to them. I mean, Alice never repeats an outfit. It wouldn't have taken nearly as much to bribe the guard, but I guess Alice just doesn't care; money is no object.

Absolutely. I knew (Or I thought I knew) that she would be too late when the clock started tolling. I think my heart stopped when it says "Then he took the step that would put him directly in the path of the sun." (Or something like that. I don't have my book.)

I was beyond frustrated that he was being such a retard. Edward's usually a bit sharper than that. I wanted to scream. :roll:

Umm, I honestly don't remember. I definately figured that she must be more powerful or higher up in the ranks tnan Felix and Demetri.

It was classic Edward. I still thought that Edward cared about her enough to protect her, but I hadn't realized he still loved her. I was pretty ignorant to think that, especially since both Eclipse and Breaking Dawn were out when I read this. But I didn't know anything about the books, so they could have been about pretty much anything.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
Edward_Bella Forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Edward_Bella Forever »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer? To me it says that The Cullens have a lot of money and that they would give any amount of it away to save one another.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? I had that thought for a fraction of a second because if she didn't save Edward then the story would be over so why would there be more books?

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? I was like, I thought that you didn't believe in that sort of stuff? Well I guess now Bella has a strong argument since you proved that you do believe that vampires and humans can be in the same afterlife.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! First impression was...
She's lethal !

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her? I think that he was protecting her as well as being romantic because he couldn't live without her but since he is a good liar Bella truly thought that he didn't want her anymore so she felt that he was not being romantic.

Edward and Bella Forever!!!
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Alphie wrote:1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

Typical Alice. Cute. She doesn't have a clue on money because she has all she needs, so its not a big deal to her.

Yes at first

I just laughed,

A little Terrorist

I think it was a combination, protection, nice and just thankful she wasn't dead yet
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

Haha I thought it was great :D I think all the Cullens just always have a lot of cash money with them. They are just extremely rich. And of course they do not have to worry about being robed. I don't think she rezlly saw that she was going to need it, because she didn't realize she wouldn't be able to get into volterra at first.

I really was thinking omg there's no way she's not going to make it. I was on the edge of my seat. but I was like no way, Stephenie wouldn't do it. It's really would have caused world problems I think :D

I was like , OMG idiot. I wanted to slap him.

I thought she had an very powerful power.

I thought it was so sweet. I just knew that he still loved her.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think it was natural and she was just being alice. of course i laughed out loud when i read it but no, it wasnt anything to dramatic.

yes, i knew there was a third book so they had to. but i was freaking out! i couldnt read fast enough! when the bell started to ring i was whimpering and thinking 'faster bella, faster!' :!:

oh my gosh! i was like OPEN YOUR EYES! when he said, "they're very fast, i didnt feel a thing," or something like that i was "like get a grip!!!" :!:

she was highly, highly, highly respected. and disobeying her had serious coincequenses.

maybe someone (the volturi) was thirsty and he wanted to be ready. i dont really know.
Betting on Alice.