A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Funeral

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
No, can't say that I have.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
I went through a terrible car wreck when I was 19 years old. I was forced to quit college (sorority and student council...everything!) for a semester and recover at home for 9 months. Once I got a little better, I started hanging out with an old friend from high school who still lived in my home town. He truly helped me get my confidence back. He was def. my Jacob. The enire time I was reading New Moon, all I could think about was him. I don't know how I would have made it through that hard time without him. He knew how broken I was (physically and emotionally) and he didn't care. He was my best friend and I always knew he wanted more than I could give him. We were never romantically involved and it was all because I wasn't ready for it. Years later, I can see that it was never meant to be romantic. He was a gift from God who helped me out during the worst time of my life. I'll always love him for that. *tear--geezzz :-) *

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
I watched my baby cousin fall into a pool and immidately dove in to catch him. I wasn't in any danger, but it was an instant reaction that I just DID without thinking.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
I'm sure that I did. As soon as Edward was back in the picture, I couldn't wait to start Eclipse. Serious Edward withdrawal.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading? I always liked Jacob (because he reminds me of my friend--see question 2).
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
I have definitely been caught between two friends before. But I know that neither of the friendships was as deep or as meaninful as Bella's relationships with Alice or Jacob, so I know that Bella's situation was harder. I think everthing I experienced was more petty high school stuff.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
I have dated a friend before. I know I wasn't as close to him as Bella was to Jacob, but we did act on the moment to take it to something more. In th end, it didn't work at all. While he was something more than a friend to me, I missed him as my friend, even though it can be argued that he still was my friend, it wasn't the same, and I missed the way things were. I realized that was more important to me than to have him as more than a friend. I actually regretted taking things to the next level, because then its very hard to get back into the friend zone. I also think that in this particular case he cared more for me than I did for him.

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
Gosh, the crisis that Bella and Edward are in makes me think my entire life pales in comparison to theres! I feel a little silly trying to compare them sometimes! I can't think of a specific time, but I can identify with her altruism very much. My mother had cancer on two seperate occasions and I know that I felt I would do anything to take her pain away during many moments of that battle (she won, she's healthy). I am also a nurse. There have been several times when I get to the end of my work day where something went wrong and realized that there were many things I did that put myself in danger, or weren't the safest route because it was a "time is of the essence" type of thing and I was much more focused on my patient in trouble than myself. I try to scold myself for these things because I know the best way to help a patient is to help myself sometimes, but that is usually one of the farthest things from my mind when something goes wrong and I need to act quickly, so I can identify with Bella there. And I like this moment because she is beginning to let herself really feel her feelings for Edward as something more than pain, as unconditional love and devotion, even though it is painful. She knows/expects it to be very painful, she states that it will be a big price to pay in regards to the pain she will feel later, but that the price is worth it to her. I love that.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
I was totally panicked! I was freaking out for Edward, Bella, and Alice. I hadn't even begun to think about what might happen to Bella with the Volturi, all I could think about was what would happen to her if she lost Edward, even though they weren't together, she has always taken a shred of comfort in the fact that he is out there somewhere. I think I forced myself to stop reading at this chapter, the first time because it was like 4 am, haha. Then the next night I read the book through.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
I have always loved Jacob and I feel terrible for his pain. But when he starts to really get a little hot and heavy with his emotions for Bella, it seems to always make me uncomfortable, I guess because Edward is always on my mind, and my heart seems to be loyal to him. I don't think I was ever anti-Jacob, I think with time and re-reading I was able to understand his plight a little more and see him a lit bit better for the wonderful person he is. But sometimes he is arrogant, and I don't like that. And naturally the more Edward comes into the story, the less I gravitate towards Jacob.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Yes. I've had friend who dont like each other. I didnt really feel much pressure to choose sides. I was always in the middle.

I let it pass like Bella did. And i felt bad about it.

I never really have acted for someone elses safety.

It was always hard for me to put the book down. I would read over 100 pages a day.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
No. I have always liked Jacob.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Alice_Cullen_101
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice_Cullen_101 »

1. Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
No, but my best friend has though. Me and her other friend didn't really like each other because she was mean to me in grade four. I like holding grudges, but we were at each others throats. She didn't take sides.

2.We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
I let it pass. My friend liked me, and my mom knew the whole time. She kept hinting like "Oh ______ is cute, why don't you like him?" Which, of course, made me NOT like him.
So, he moved, a year later, my friends and I were coming back to my house after school and we were talking about ________ and my mom was just like "He liked you."
I was so shocked. Never saw it coming.

3.We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
Heheh. Last day of grade six, going to wendys with my friends. So we were walking. La la la la la. My best friend skipped across the road, not seeing the cars. Luckily, they had me. :D No, they wouldn't say that. I saved her life, though. She'll deny it, but I yelled her name and she came back. Alive. :D

4.At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
I read through the whole book the day I bought it. It took my 5 hours, but I did it. I didn't put it down once. Not even to eat. Sad, isn't, it?

5.Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
I hated Jacob the first time I ever read the series. But I reread them, like fifty times, and by the final time I reread them, being a year older, I really understood Jake. Since then, I've been in love with him. :D
OMT!!
Its cheese!
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

Thankfully I never have, I can't imagine it is easy at all.

I have, and I let it pass and I am SO glad I did. This person is one of my oldest and bestest friends, and he wouldnt be now if I had given him what he wanted!!!

I have never put my life in danger like that, because I have not had to. Touch wood. But my family are the poeople that I am fiercly protective of, my siblings are all younger. I would move heaven and earth for them!

Yep, I couldnt put it down, I mean it was getting close to Edward how could I? After all those sad chapters! I read that book for hours on end. I liked SM's heads up to Romeo and Juliet though, she knew what she was doing. I wasnt worried.

Ater that chapter, Gosh! I hated him so much. It still makes me mad now, I hate that side to Jacob. So pushy! After reading on with the series though I fell in love wth him. My feelings changed to him dramatically while reading his book in BD. I forgive him!
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

I have, yes.
Pressure no, the hate is between them.
It is difficult to deal with though, because you want them to get along.

I've been in that situation before, I've always been hesitant because this is your friend FIRST and there are doubts where you think, "What if this doesn't work out? Will we be able to get past it if it doesn't work? How will this affect our friendship? Will I be making the right decision? " And so on ...

With two friends, I didn't take it to that level and I ended up regretting it.

Can't say that I have.
Never been in that situation.

I had to take a serious BREAK from reading, I was freaking terrified. :shock:

This is where I began to hate Jacob, like reallyyyyyy.
I'm still not a Jacob fan just from reading that, OMG! I think every time he came up after that I just wanted him to die.
:lol:
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I have two friends who hate each other now. It takes quite the toll. It's easy for me to take sides, though, because one of them is mopey when I hang out with the other and one is cool with it. I shouldn't take sides, but inevitably I do.

I have been presented with that kind of opportunity. I didn't take it. At first, I regretted it with every single bone in my body. I thought for sure that if I'd just taken evasive action and kissed the crap out of that boy, I would have had to stop looking right then and there, and I would have been happy forever. But now, I'm glad I didn't. I'm still friends with this person, and I still love him, of course. But in a way that is different. I realize that our friendship is so great, and we're so close that if I had taken that step, I could have ruined everything. And that's the last thing I wanted to do. Me taking a step toward more than friends wouldn't have changed the way he is today (gay, of course), even though he swears by the bible that it would have. The only thing that would be different is that we would both be going through life without each other. (Wow, what a ramble... sorry)

Well. You see. I had a dog once. Her name was Lacy, and she was my very own German Sheppard. She was very old and wobbly and I loved her. Once, I was taking her for a walk. She didn't need a leash usually, because we lived in a small town and she was very obedient and always stayed by my side. But today she had wandered into the road and a car was coming. I ran across the road and pushed her out of the way, almost getting hit by the car myself. It sounds stupid that I would risk my life for a dog, I know. But I was new in town, I had nobody else but that dog. :( And after that I was a bit of a freak anyway. Other than that, I've never had to risk myself to save anyone... well, except for the occasions where my friends get themselves in a pickle and I risk my own freedom (with my parents, for I'd surely be grounded.) to save them from the same fate as me. (though, I bet they'd get in a little more trouble for doing the thing they need saving from).

I think I might have read a little too fast. In my mind, everything was very fast and blurred, just tons and tons of scarlet and one very handsome, pale man. At one point, I actually had to force myself to put down the book to breathe, because I was hyperventilating.

I love Jacob. Always have, always will. There isn't much that could change how I feel about him. I was a little shocked at him, but I was like... aww, poor Jacob.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

OMG yes, way too many times. I have 2 friends in particular, and it's been going on since Junior year of high school, they were always the closest of our little group of friends they did everything alike and then Junior year happened and suddenly they both wanted me to be their new bestie and they fought over everything UGH! I love them to death though so it's hard for me, they still do it. BTW, now however one is moving very far away so it should quiet down some LOL.

I have twice and both times I acted on the moment, wish I hadn't with one because our friendship is ruined, it's horribly sad he was my very best friend, and now we don't talk, and I miss him still and it's been almost 6 years! He's still so angry with me, even though he's the one who broke it off. The other one I married :D

Honestly, that would have to be when I was pregnant, I got very sick with preeclampsia and it was progressing pretty rapidly to eclampsia and I was actually pretty close to death, they wanted to do an emergency csection right there to save me but she would've only been 30 weeks at the time and I knew what having a premature baby would mean... a slimer chance of survival and I wanted her so bad, so even though there was a chance that I could slip into acoma at any second and never come back I wanted to give her the best chance possible, I don't regret my decision in the slightest, but it gave me 2 more weeks until she was starting to ..."fail" for lack of a better term, did I give permission for the csection...it was kind of odd because, I knew I would be ok though.

Yep...I even took it to dinner with me, my husband was slightly disgruntled.

I feel more sorry for him now than I did before but I still don't like him very much until BD.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Nope, I've only had two friends that really knew each other before.

No, I haven't ever really had one of those moments before.

I can't remember one, sorry everybody.

Yes, I was freaking out. I think I did read straight through to the end, with tears streaming down my cheeks the entire time.

natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

Not quite to this extent. If they were really my friends and actually cared about me, they wouldn't make me choose.

I acted on a moment like this twice in my life and both times it ended up horrible and I lost 2 of my best friends over it. I don't necessarily regret it because the one guy was horrible for me, and I'm starting t get over the other one after 3 years almost which I lost the one of the 2 people in the world that I could truly be myself around. I regret that.

I always do this. I care about everyone elses well-being before myself, well everyone that I care about I guess I should say. I always put others first so this was nothing surprising for me and I could relate to it on a lot of different levels. I have saved so many people from committing suicide, people I've truly cared about, and in the process I've lost friends, and put myself through hard times but in the end a life was saved and it was worth it. In the process I also found that I grew up faster and that I learned a lot from those experiences.

I read all of New Moon in a day because I was waiting for Edward to come back. I knew that nothing too terrible was going to happen in the back of my head though and I tried to calm myself. I was panicked to a certain extent though because I thought they were running out of time.

I still had the same feelings for him really. That I liked him as her friend. I did feel bad for him. But I knew this was coming eventually so whatever.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.