A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Funeral

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:These questions were provided by Cocoa.

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
1)No.
2)I never had that opportunity, nor have I been in that position.
3)When my ex-husband tried to harm my child & me. I put her behind me to shield her.
4)I read straight through.
5)I had a hard time stomaching Jacob in New Moon, but now that I have read the series more than a dozen times, I have grown to appreciate him and understand that his intentions were never malicious towards Bella and he truly wanted to save her and win her heart, both of which he lost. But he had no regrets. I liked that.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
-UGH YES ! Its SO frustrating. Of course both sides were like against me being friends with the other person... its so hard when that happens =/

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
-ohhh gosh. I let it pass. I regret that descision more and more each day ):

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
-I haven't had a situtation like that yet, I hope something as bad as that never happens.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
-Of course I was panicked! I read straight through, I couldn't put it down!

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
-After reading the end of New Moon and then Eclipse, I absoulutley HATED Jacob. But once I read Breaking Dawn and I really thought about it, Jacob isn't really a bad guy and I admit, I do kind of like him (: But not as much as I love Edward!
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

My two best friends get into fighs alot, but I always manage to stay out of it somehow. They both call me and vent, telling me how much they hate the other person. And the the next day, the whole thing has blown over and their friends again.

I haven't had that opputinuty yet, but if I were to tomorrow, I would most definately take it. Well, I guess it would depend on her the friend is...

I haven't ever been in a life threatening position (and I hope I never am) but if I was, I would hope that I would be the selfless one and protect whoever was with me as much as I could.

I kept reading through the next few chapters and stopped when they made it back to Forks and Bella fell asleep on the car ride home. By then, it was like four o'clock in the morning and I knew that if I kept reading I wouldn't be able to understand a word of it.

I have always had a soft spot for Jake the first time we meet him in Twilight. I got a little annoyed with him sometimes in New Moon, but that was about it. Now, I still think he's really sweet and, if I was Bella, I would have taken that chance that night and kissed him. What can I say? I would have chosen Jake over Edward anyday. So, my opinoin on him hasn't changed at all thorughout the serious and I;m very happy that Jake finally got his happy ending (with half-my-name!)
I_Punched_A_Werewolf
Settled in Forks

Post by I_Punched_A_Werewolf »

Yes. Neither of them would ever ask me to choose. They know that I couldn't do it.

I haven't taken action to present day and I don't regret it because friendship is worth having and sometimes, it's too much of a risk just to try to build something new when you could end up ruining everything.

To be honest, no one I've known has been in danger while I've been around. I've been in danger and had people put themselves at risk to save me but never vice versa. Hopefully, if I'm ever in that sort of situation, it will all work out.

Ummm YES! I even skipped dinner, which for me is quite a big deal! I just wanted Edward to survive SO badly! And then I wanted them to get back together. I was quite literally chewing my nails off all the way through!
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

1- yep. it doesn't feel good, each one wants you to turn against the other.

2-never happend to me, not yet.

3-im only twelve, i havent risked my life for anything yet.

4-DEFINENTLY!!!!! it was hard not put any of them down!!!!!

5-i liked him better in eclipse better than new moon. idk, i just had a grusge against him. but then when he imprinted on reneesme, i hated him again.
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

I've never had anything like it, thank God.

I've never been in a relationship so i have never experienced anything like it

no people i know have ever been in danger so i can't answer this

hell yes!

I can understand his feelings better now. When he pushed Bella away in earlier chapter, Bella went as far as giving him hopes that she could love him. And yet when there's news about Edward, she leaves Jacob just like that. Since Jacob and Edward are mortal enemies and Jacob thinks that Edward truly dumps Bella, it's understandable why he's angry in this chapter, thinking that Bella is wasting her life for a guy who presumably doesn't love her anymore. Still, I'm annoyed that he doesn't seem to care if Edward is killed.
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

Uh, yes. It's even stickier when your best friend and your boyfriend don't get along.

Yup, there have been friends who became more than friends. I let the thing run its natural course. For Bella, I'm glad she was yet too vulnerable to just rebound with Jake. (sighs of relief)

Anytime someone I loved and cared about was in danger, I didn't hesitate. The urgency of helping masks all other possible consequences.

OMFG!!! I was reacting to that whole chapter OUT LOUD, at 3am, like a crazy person! I thought to myself "great, now I'm gonna be up till god-knows-what-time until I finish this because I HAVE to read what happens next!". Genius of Stephenie Meyer.
And by the way, I was also voicing PLEASE. DO. NOT. KISS. HIM. BELLA!!! Get your dirty werewolf paws off of her, Jacob!!!

Ok, I was and probably never will be Team Jacob and that should suffice. Haven't read past New Moon yet, though. I wanted to La Push that kid off of a cliff when he first) answered the phone for Bella. Second) called "Dr.Carlisle" (really, Eddy) a filthy bloodsucker. What a nerve. And third) I really am not Team Jacob.

But to be fair to Jake, I put myself in his shoes and understand where he's coming from. We can't blame him. For all he knows - and Bella too, up to a point - Edward ditched Bella. Jake was never Team Edward to begin with. He liked the girl. The girl came looking for him and he enjoys her company. They are kinda attracted to each other, and would probably hit it off weren't it for Edward's dazzling mighty powers. So it only seems natural for their friendship to have grown over the course of NM and Bella finding solace in him.

Good thing my Edward came back after three hundred and something pages of anguish and reclaimed his spot. Oh snap.
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com
LoveTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by LoveTwilight »

I have and it was kind of the same sitch as Bella has in this, though not in a billionth of the same standard of love or affection. In my little drama my boyfriend hated my best friend and my best friend jumped at any chance he could get to wind my boyfriend up, including trying 2 kiss me a couple times. Its pretty similar when you think about it. I know I have my own Jacob :)

I let it pass like Bella and I've regretted it every second since. And it was with my own Jacob. It hurts but I guess it's something I have to live with now.

I'm lucky enough to say I've never had that experience, but there's plenty of time left.

I was completely terrified! Definately panicked! I read the book in one night because I couldn't put it down and didn't get a wink of sleep that night. I had to sleep in most of my classes next day but it was TOTALLY worth it. The whole Romeo and Juliet thing was great too. It was such a familiar story, such an incredible story.

I love Jacob. I'm TEAM JACOB :D all the way! He's amazing. And it's not that I don't like Edward, because who COULD dislike him? But Edward's more an imagined dream Mr Perfect but Jacob's got such a real quality about him. I've loved him since the beginning. And I could SO tell there'd be something between him and Bella even after their first meeting in La Push in Twilight!
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Yes & yes.

I let it pass and I don't regret it. Turned out it was a rather good decision.

Not really life threatening things, but when someone of my friends fell during one of our skiing trips, I felt like I should help them even though that made the odds bigger of me falling myself.

I don't remember what I did the first time, but I probably read straight to the end.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they changed with time to reflect back and additional reading?
Not really.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides? Nope, luckily not.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action? Not had such a moment.

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own. Don't really have one. I take care of who I need to take care of, and I've never really been in danger.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down? I read straight through (especially knowing Edward was coming back!) and of course I was panicked!! I didn't want Edward to die!!!

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading? Still don't like him. I go from tolerance to dislike to hate with that guy.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com