A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Visitor

Post by BlueStarlight »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward? I thought it was one of the Cullens; VERY disappointed that it wasn't Edward.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack? No.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric? I don't really know. I suppose that back during the times they lived in, the asylum was the only logical thing to do.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent? I really felt sorry for Charlie, wanting to help, but not knowing how to. He knew just how hard to try to push Bella to get on with her life; pushing and demanding would have made things worse.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence? I think it worried her. Obviously, at this stage, the Cullens weren't coming back, and none of them knew Alice was there with Bella. Had the story continued without the events that follow in the next chapter, and the Cullens stayed gone, then Alice wouldn't be able to "see" Bella anymore if she were going to be hanging out with her best friend, Jake. Also, because the wolves are the vampires' enemies, that would mean that Alice wouldn't be able to "see" future attacks and what-not about them.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
1. Victoria...freaked out til I figured out it wasn't her
2. Edward...broke another little piece of my heart when it wasn't Edward.
3. Alice..."YES!!!!!" because it was Alice. I think I was as happy to have her back as Bella was!!

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?
nope

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?
I don't really know. I think her story is sad. It's hard to make a judegment since she doesn't really know much. I think they did what they thought was right for her. Things were different in those days.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?
I adore Charlie. Probably because he reminds me of my father. It made me tear up a little listening to him pour his heart out. He really loves her.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I think she was a little more than pissed. :-)
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
I was expecting either Carlisle because he always seemed to compassionate towards Bella or Alice because she was such a good friend of Bella and I figured she had seen something that was going to happen or had just happened. I was a little disappointed it wasn't Edward of course, but I hadn't really thought it would be him, it would just be too good to be true!

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?
Not really, because I already knew everything that she warned Bella about and just like other people had judged the Cullen's, I knew that there would be people who judged the pack based on what they were without knowing how things really were. I love the pack for the most part, they are so close and funny.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?
It was soooo sad. I think I said in the Twilight discussion that I hate that things like what happened to Alice really happened in the past and it makes me sick, but on the other hand, it was the norm of the time and so I don't think there would have really been any other option for her. At least not in most people's eyes. I feel somewhat ashamed at our past that we have consistently stigmatized people like Alice and still do to a lesser degree. I hate what her parents did, but I can also see how it happened. People are always just so afraid of and indignant towards things they don't understand.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?
My heart went out to him. I think he struggles as a parent to a teenage girl to begin with, but then when he is faced with something like what happened to Bella he is sooo lost as what to do to try to take her pain away. When he realizes he can't take her pain away, it hurts him even more. His love for her is very apparent in his conversation with Alice, and that made me smile. Charlie sometimes has trouble explaining/showing his emotions, but this whole scene said it all for me.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I think it might have swayed her confidence a tiny bit, but I think more than anything she is just frustrated and curious as to why she can't see them. I always inferred that it was sort of a defense mechanism for the werewolves since they are the natural enemy of the werewolves, like something to level the playing field maybe? Its interesting to me that Alice can't see them, but Edward can hear their thoughts.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I thought it was Alice actually. I knew that Edward would not come to see her. Alice is the only one who could know what Bella was up to/

No.

I just thought that maybe Alice was really different and didnt know how to handle her.

He is a good parent. He was really worried for his daughter.

She probably doesnt feel too good that she cant see what they are up to.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?I was half expecting it to be Victoria, especially after Jake said Carlisle's car might be a trick... So I was relieved when it was Alice. But yes, I was disappointed that it wasn't Edward. Alice is the next best thing though, I guess ;)

Not really, no. The vampires didn't really have a solid reason to hate the werewolves.

I thought it was mysterious, I wanted to know more. Like how the date on her admission to the asylum is the same as the one on her gravestone, I thought that was really eerie. I couldn't really judge her parents, since we really don't know what happened... She's just guessing that her parents sent her to the insane asylum because of her visions.
I really liked when Charlie told Alice how bad things had been for Bella, because it gave me hope that Alice would understand the mistake the Cullens had made, and tell Edward to come back. It was also good to finally know what happened in those months that were skipped over. Charlie definitely tried his best as a parent, there are some things that can't be fixed though.

Alice hates feeling "handicapped" when the wolves are around and she can't see her visions well. This probably impacted her disgust for the wolves
--Squeakmouse--
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

I thought it was going to be Carlisle.
I was disappointed it wasn't Edward, yes.
But I was happy Alice was there. I love Alice!

Ehhh, not really. I didn;t think to much about the pack then.

I thought it was interesting. I was curious about her death and how it was the same date as when she went into the asylum. I really didn't have anything bad to think about her parents, besides the story being a bit sad. We really don't know ... to assume anything harsh about the parents.

Nothing really.
I always knew he loved Bella a lot. Nothing changed on my opinion on Charlie, he's a great dad! :D
I also hoped that Charlie & Alice's discussion would bring the Cullens home sooner, and that Edward would realize that he made a HUGE mistake.

I'm sure it was difficult for her, it probably made her dislike the wolves.
xxabbsxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxabbsxx »

One of the Cullens, but not Edward. Again, to good to be true. I wasn't disappointed when it wasn't Edward because I wasn't expecting him. But I was totally thrilled when Alice was there! She's my second favorite Cullen, next to Emmett!

Not really, I didn't really think much of it. I just read that as her opinion of the matter.

I think it was extremely sad when her death in her parents eyes is when she was commited. It's not barbaric, but it is truly horrible to have one see you in that way.

I always figured Charlie was that way, and it didn't change my opinions over him. He always cared about Bella's feeling no matter how open he was about it.

I made her take a hit on herself, and she seemed very annoyed at that fact. She couldn't see what happened to Bella if she was with a werewolf.
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

I thought maybe it would have been Carlisle because it was hi car? But I knew it wouldnt have been Edward so I wasnt that dissapointed, I was happy to see Alice though!!

No not at all, the werewolves feel the same about the Cullens and I still like them

No, it was a long time ago. Things like that happened all the time. And much worse. I think she must have found it weird to find out her history, after all this time not knowing, and she found out about her neice who is still alive.

I think he makes a great father, that scene was so painful to read, because when reading about it from Bella'a P.O.V she doesnt speak of it, so it was good but sad to hear what happened and how Charlie felt. I was shocked that he even got Renee to come and take Bella home, but then Bella kicked off and then cried. It must have been so sad for Renee and Charlie.

Yes definatly. It is all Alice has ever known; been able to see if she looks hard enough. It must be like losing one of your senses. Poor Alice!
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I was half expecting Carlisle, half expecting Victoria. I didn't think for a Second that it would be Edward. Partly because (I'm almost ashamed to say this) when he left Bella, he took my faith in him with him... but partly because I was sure he'd be more dramatic than leaving the car out front.

No... I'd already grown attached to them. Of course she reacted the way she did, she's a vampire.

I think her history is a sad one... no, I don't think that about her parents. Back then... it was quite normal to send your child somewhere if something like that were going on. People didn't, and still don't, know how to handle a situation like that. And, besides, Alice has so much to live for NOW... I can feel bad for her past, but not for the future it landed her in.

I wanted to hug him. I'd always thought Charlie was a caring, great parent, but this just put the icing on the cake for me. It was hard to read his pain, it was like it was coming out of the page and consuming me... I could feel it from everywhere. It was so thick and so real.... :( Poor Charlie.

Poor Alice was so shaken. I could almost see her self esteem get knocked down a few notches. :(
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I was kinda disappointed it wasn't Edward, Alice was my second guess. :D

A little but not much.

No back then it was normal to send your child away when there was something wrong and nowadays I think if there child was having "visions" they would probably put them in a special home as well, it really hasn't changed much.

Oh man I felt so bad for Charlie, he really is a great dad and he loves Bella so much, knowing this actually made it sader for me...when BD happens.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence

I think she started to doubt herself with her visions alot after that poor Alice, I agree that she really seemed shaken...and slightly shocked by it.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage