A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TheLittlePixie
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Visitor

Post by TheLittlePixie »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?

I squealed like a little fangirl because I was Just. That. Happy. I was getting over the sadness of NM and getting into the Edward WTF have you done phase, so i think I might have been mad if Edward just appeared like that.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?

No, I didn't like them from the beginning, simply because they're not vampiric.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?

I feel awful for Alice, but I think her parents just didn't know what was wrong and were trying to do what was best for their child...and maybe someone at the asylum lied to them about her death? I hope for the best for poor little Alice.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?

I cried, for the third time in New Moon. (number one being The End and number two being when Jacob brought up how hurt Bella really was over Edward.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence

I think she was really freaked out by it, but she already knew that she wasn't infallible, I mean, she saw Bella dying. So it kind of wore away at it, but she already had the 'my vision isn't perfect' attitude.
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
I was not expecting Edward. However I was not expecting Alice either. I was expecting Carlisle. Possibly asking if she had heard from Edward.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?
No matter what the vampires ever thought of the pack, there is no way they could hate them after the way the pack saved Bella and helped her through her time she wasn't so human. I never thought bad of the pack after the "Family" chapter.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?
Alice's history was depressing. If she hadn't met Jasper, I really don't know if her life would have been the same and his would have been radicaly different for sure.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?
I was ecstatic to hear how she was over her zombi months, and I loved how it showed how great of a parent he actually is. Most parents smother their kids when they really need space and time. He really is amazing.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I don't think it effected her confidence. I think it irritated her to no end that something she thought was so vile was somehow immune to her powers, and she had no idea why.
CauseofEdwardIlove
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Longing for Edward...but I will settle for Rob anytime...In Georgia!

Post by CauseofEdwardIlove »

Yes I thought it was Edward....I was disappointed! I was thinking that he just couldn't stay away any longer...He just had to come see if she still felt the same about here...Boy was I way off!!
Manda
After waiting a lifetime....I have finally fallen in love...Rob I love you!
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Were you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
I was expecting Carlisle, it was his car after all. A little, but I was too happy it was ALICE!!!!!!!

Nope.

I think it was sad. Yes, I think that was mean.

I think he's really observant and it was sweet to see him caring for Bella so much.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I think her confidence took a real hit when she realized she couldn't see the pack or anybody involved with them.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I didn't get my hopes up because I didn't want to be disappointed when it wasn't him. But I thought it was going to be Carlisle.

No, not really. She doesn't know how much of a help they have been at this point really.

I felt bad and I was sad for her. But I'm glad that she found Jasper and I'm glad they both are in the Cullen family.

I. Love. Charlie. It really made me happy the way that he acted. I loved this conversation too because it really opened up Alice into seeing what her family moving away did to Bella. I think Charlie is a great parent.

I don't really think it affected her confidence but more so worried her because she couldn't keep tabs on Bella when she was around them.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Angel
Wandering Through Town

Post by Angel »

Just a quick questiond cos I'm confused a little here.

Alice says she jumped on a plane when she saw Bella jump off the cliff, is that right?

So how come she was using Carlisle's car (wasn't it parked outside Bella's house?

I think I need to re-read the book again.

Angel x
Watching Twilight is like my own personal brand of herion. I need my daily fix.
lemon-of-the-tent
Settled in Forks

Post by lemon-of-the-tent »

I was expecting Victoria, honestly, like I think we were meant to believe. So, sorry for thinking unoriginally there, but that's what I thought Bella was expecting, and I was far too inot the book by then to care. :) I was over-the-moon when I saw it was Alice. I might have been disappointed if it had been Edward - it would have spoiled the months of zombification for him to just show up again on a whim. :roll:

Alice's reaction to the werewolves didn't really taint my veiw on the pack, because I'd expected something like that. I mean, all the time I was reading about the werewolves, i was thinking "There must have been a good reason that the Cullens didn't tell Bella about this before..."

I don't think Alcie's parents would have been barbaric - they seemed like they were frightened and confused by their daughter, and were unsure of what to do. In those days, women had very little status, so girls were locked up for a lot less! I think Alice's past was really interesting, and only wish I could hear more of the story. :)

I like the way Alice was enlightened by all of the things Charlie told Bella, but I don't thik it changes my opinion of him as a parent. I just don't like Charlie as a character - he's a pretty ghastly dad. Sorry to those who love him. I really liied hearing his veiw of what has happened to Bella, and hearing the things she wouldn't have told Alice, or us, as an audience. It was just sort of like twisting the knife a bit, you know? Makign us feel Bella's pain a bit more.

I think Alice's ego was definately wounded a bit by the inability to see the wolves. I felt really bad for her - though, it was quite funny seeing her getting really mad in Eclipse because of her lack of vision. I love Alice and I think it was almost a bit unfair that she couldn't see them. :(
"If we live throught this," Garrett whispered to Kate, "I'll follow you anywhere, woman."

"Now he tells me," she muttered.
(Breaking Dawn, pg 724)

Live like the Lemon. :D
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Questions by Cocoa:

1) One of the Cullens. No.

2) No.
3) Pitiful. to have turned your back on your child like that, to confine her to a slow death in an asylum and consider her dead was horrific. Their loss - the Cullens gain.

4) What I had always believed, that he truly loved his daughter deeply and would do anything for her, he just did not know how, but he let her stay which was the best decision for both of them in the long run.

5)I think it really 'threw her off'. She realized that her lack of vision with the werewolves hamstrings her in ways that could prove to be dangerous. She wasn't used to that.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Pretty Alice
Settled in Forks

Post by Pretty Alice »

I kind of read ahead a little bit at the werewolf part. I am hardcore Team Edward. If it were up to me, Edward would have kicked Jacob's butt long ago. I honestly think that Jacob is manipulitive, selfish, and controlling. That's my opinion. Anyway, I had read ahead so I could find the part where the vampires returned. So, I wasn't surprised. I was a little dissapointed it wasn't Edward, but Alice is pretty good, too.

Not really. Like I said, I had a pretty low opinion of the pack to begin with.

I do think they were barbaric. They should have at least tried to help her (even if they did think that she had scizophrenia). Then again, that might have meant lobotomy. Maybe that's why she can't remember anything.

It did. Before, I didn't really think of Charlie as much of a parent. He was gone most of the time. When he wasn't at work, he was either fishing of sleeping. After that, I sort of saw Charlie as a parent. He really does care about Bella. His anger towards Edward is probably somewhat unjustified, though, given that he was told Carlisle had simply accepted a job in L.A and moved. He isn't supposed to have any idea that Edward had a say in the matter.

This probably shook Alice's confidence a lot.

Personally, I found Alice's reaction a little surprising. I mean, since when does she listen to what Edward (or anyone beside Carlisle, for that matter) tells her to do? She's normally all bubbly and exuberant. This chapter is just about the only time I've seen her so...Businesslike. It was like she was just this whole other person. Then again, that probably had something to do with the fact that she had thought Bella was dead until she walked in the door.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I was half expecting Edward, but I didn;t think he would just show up at her house. But it was Carlisle's car so I thought it was him.

No, not at all. I really liked the pack and a vampires natural reaction to werewolves wasn't gonna change that.

No. For the time period that they were lving in, I can't blame them. I lilked hearing more details about her past, especailly when we got so little from Twilight.

Charlie's view on Bella was very interesting to read because we only got Bella's opinoin on it before and hearing what was really happening gave you a different perpective of how badly Bella was at the beginning. This scene didn't effect what I thought of Charlie. He was just a very concerned parent with a daughter falling deeper and deeper in depression.

Alice knew that her visions were very important and useful to the Cullen family. Without them she feels like she has a new handicap when in reality an extra power was just taken away.