A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Paris

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
I'm not sure if it would be the best thing... but I know he'd understand, or try his best to. She should definitely tell him about the depression though. He already knows about Edward, and the hallucinations... that's a tough call. I don't know.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
"Hook Up" is such a loose term.
The first time I read New Moon, I hardly registered what was happening before the moment was gone. The next time around, though, I paid attention. And I was amazed at how badly I wanted it to happen. Before, I'd been so preoccupied agonizing over Edward's sudden departure and hoping he'd return, that all I wanted was for him back -- even though I loved Jacob. But this time, I realize just how badly I wanted Jake to be happy, and how much I wanted Bella to be the one to make him happy and to find happiness with him, because I knew she could. Of course, in the back of my head, I thought what would Edward do, and I knew what was going to happen. But at that moment (and I just know I'm going to be stoned for this)... I just couldn't bring myself to care.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
He maybe should... but he wouldn't have. We all know that. And he won't ever want anybody else, so what would compel him to go out and look for someone who he could love and who would love him back?

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
Of course she feels like she owes him. Emotionally... she does. She owes him everything. He saved her. He made her almost whole again, a person instead of a shell of one.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
It is. They're willing to do anything to stay together. When Edward thinks Bella is dead, he goes to kill himself (stupid, stupid Edward) (also, I know we haven't gotten there yet, but...), same as the story of Romeo and Juliet. And they're so deeply in love that they can't forget each other, can't live without each other. It differs in a lot of ways too, though... like the fact that Juliet never even considered Paris. And Romeo would never leave.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
Well, I don't know. I would have done the same thing. She is so desperate for just an inkling of the Cullens... of Edward... that of course she goes back. Having said that, it would have been extremely easy for Victoria to acquire the same car Carlisle had and use it to get to Bella. I'm on the fence about this.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?
God, I don't know! Gah, it's really hard to choose! I've always been very Switzerland about it. Um... I would say that Bella and Jacob's relationship is probably much healthier in the literal sense of the word, but her relationship with Edward is so much deeper. She loves him to her core, and she also loves Jacob, but not to such an extent... I don't know!!
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?

Uh no, lets not break Jacob up to much ok?

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?

Yes it would be settling, and I think it's wrong that she should do that to him, even if he does want her I fully believe that there is someone out there who is perfect for everyone, why deny Jacob his soulmate?

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?

Yes he should wait, it's the fairest thing for him.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?

I think she does owe him alot and honestly I think going into a relationship like that is doomed because then your only in the relationship because you feel like you owe them.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?

hmm...you know it is, because they are willing to die for the other person, and there are so many factors counting against them.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?

I think her relationship with them isn't masochistic, I think she loves them and wants to belong to their family. And I think she had every right to investigate, but hey that's just me.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?

You know I gotta say I think Bella/Edward is healthier because they've been through a conflict, and they truly love each other, Bella/Jacob is doomed from the start, it would be just a rebound from Edward and it would completely distroy their friendship (and probably Charlie and Billy's as well) when everything ended. And Jacob doesn't always have Bella's best interests at heart, he's still fairly immature so she's end up getting hurt and he'd get hurt eventually too because Bella would drop him the second Edward came back.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Yes, she needs someone to talk to. He already knows almost everything else.

Yes, I think it would be settling (for Bella) to be Jake's girlfriend. But I still think she should try to find happiness with Jake though.

Well since we know now that the true love he was waiting for was Renesmee, no I think it was fine to want Bella. If they married, he'd never get his true love anyways.

Well, if Bella's going to be with ANYONE, at one point or another, she's going to owe them her life, she takes a lot of looking after, mostly because she's so clumsy.

Yes, it is because they both (almost, in Bella and Edward's case) killed themselves, the girl "first", then the guy for real, then the girl for real. Bella nearly drowned, the Volturi guard nearly tore Edward limb from limb and then Bella would have been dinner.

No, I think she was right just to walk in. I might have checked the license plate number, if I knew Carlisle's. And her relationship with the Cullens is no more masochistic than hers with Jake is.

I think Bella and Edward's is healthier (there's less of a chance he'd hurt her), but then I'm prejudiced.
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I think she would be able to if they were just friends. But since he loves her, I don't really think it's fair. I mean I'm glad she can talk about it with someone but at the same time she's not really taking into consideration Jacob's feelings.

No. That's not fair to either of them. Best friends? Yes. Romantically involved? No, not at all.

I think he deserves someone that will give their whole heart to him. I think everyone knows that Bella and Edward are meant to be together, even Jacob and I think it's pretty pointless and a waste of time for him to even try. He should focus on being her best friend.

I only think she owes him by being the best friend for him. She doesn't need to lead him on or any other huge ordeal. Be there for him like he was for you, do everything you can. Don't force feelings though.

Yeah, it is for the simple fact that they can't and will not live without the other. I don't really know much about Romeo and Juliet other than that.

No, I thought it was perfectly fine. And I'm not really sure if it masochistic, but my better judgement tells me no.

I don't know. But her relationship with Edward is true love, and I think all her and Jacob will really be is friends (actually I know that HA.)
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Here are the discussion questions as provided for us by Ellabelle.

1)No. That is too private.
2)a) Yes. b) No, that is unfair to both Jacob and herself.
3)Yes. I felt he needed to let her go in that area.
4)She needs to come completely clean with him in regards to her feeling, telling him that her heart was given away a long time ago and she never got it back. That would be a foundation of truth in their relationship that he deserves.
5)Yes. Both are very young, tragic in their own ways, and both would and almost did die for the other.
It is different because he did not die as he planned due to the fact that Bella saved him and their was a happily ever after for this scenario.

6)Sure, why not? She recognized it. b) No. She is tied to the Cullens because of her deep love for Edward.

7)Bella/Jacob have a friendship based relationship with a slow romance building. Bella/Edward have a powerful, consuming and deep love in which a friendship built from that and not the other way around.
Which one is healthier? Both are and both are not. That's it.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression? No I don't really think so.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart? NO IT WOULDN'T AT ALL! I don't think so Bells.. :x

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella? He should wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves her.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally? He saved her after the whole cliff fiasco.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ? It is quite similar. They are willing to die for each other if they know that one of the other is dead.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic? No it's not.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"? Edward's. He's purely what she wants.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I can't imagine Jake's reaction if Bella had told him. He is in a very unstable condition during that section of New Moon and that migh set him off. Either that or he'd think Bella had seriously lost her mind. I think that he would have helped her through it better if he understood why she was always putting herself in dager, so yeah, I think that it would have been better if she had told him but it wouldn;t had changed the storyline much. She had already jumped and was going to go to Italy whether Jake knew about the voices or not.

I think that if Bella hadn't jumped off the cliff and did get together with Jake, that the serious would have ended right there. But I don't think that Bella ever would because she would always feel that she was cheating Jake out of a better relationship. And she wouldn't take that chance again because if he ever changd his mind and imprinted on someone else, I don't think Bella would be able to handle it again.

Again, if Bella hadn't jumped off the cliff anf had to go save Edward, the two of them might have ended up together even if Bella felt guilty about the whole relationship. I think that having Bella and Jake together would be a good thing for the boht of them and Jake had every right to try to be with her. And if he went out to try to find someone who loved him, he would feel guilty for the same reason Bella would feel guilty being with him; he would still love Bella too.

Bella will do all she can to make sure that that debt is paid, and Jake may use it to his advantage some day.

Many romances are compared to Romeo and Juliet just bcause of the emece love in the story that any love story would be empty without. Twilight is not an exception. But the two story lines don't have that much similarity, though.

I think that Bella should have brought Jake with her to investigate Carlisle's car and than gone inside her house, thought that wouldn't have worked because Jake wouldn't have gone with her. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with Bella and the Cullens' relationship.

There are both unhealthy in different ways, though she is always in danger of being hurt when she is with either one of them. But with Edward, there is chance that she will become a vampire and have her humanity taken away from. Also, Edward and her are like one now and we have seen the result of what happens when one leaves the other. With Jake, he always wants Bella to choose him over everyone else and then gets very upset when she refuses.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-No, I don't think she should. That's really personal, her thoughts about Edward, and Jake probably wouldn't be able to understand them and how much it meant to Bella.

-Nope ! It's not fair to Bella or Jacob. If she settled for Jake, Bella would never be truly happy, and neither would he; Jacob would always only be second best in Bella's mind. It's not fair to either one.

-Yes. Bella DOES NOT love Jacob the way he loves her. He should wait until there is someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella, that way he can happy.

-Bella owes her life to Jacob, and she knows that. But, Jake probably won't ever let her forget it either...

-In my mind, Edward and Bella are exactly like Romeo and Juliet. They shouldn't be together, but against all odds they fell in love. They both CANNOT live without each other; one has to exist for the other one to exist also. They would both die for each other. The only thing thats different is there is vampires and werewolfs haha.

-Of course she should ! Its the Cullens car for godsakes! I wouldnt say her relationship with them is masochistic, thats the wrong word for it. Bella loves the Cullens and they love her, that the relationship between them.

-I would say Bella and Edwards relationship was healthier. No matter what Edward and Bella can tell each other anything, and Jake and Bella just can't do that. Also, Bella isn't in love with Jacob like she is with Edward, their relationship can never be as strong.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

At first I thought she should, to smack some sense into Jacob about how much she loves Edward. But knowing Jacob, i think he would still be as stubborn.

I'm going against the grain here. Bella does love Jacob, and in Eclipse she was even willing to hurt Edward in order to be with Jacob. Since she seems to believe that Edward doesn't want her anymore, I think she would accept Jacob gradually as time goes, and finally let go of her past with Edward.

Well...the thing is we know that Bella's love for him is more than platonic (although less than her love for Edward). Bella may not realize this but Jacob knows. If fate hasn't interfered and Edward-Bella have not reunited, Jacob might have a good shot.

I don't think you should decide to be with someone based on how much you owe them.

I don't think it's comparable. Edward is as good as dead when he leaves Bella, and yes, Bella is also crushed, but like this chapter shows, she still has other option, and she ALMOST take that option if Alice hasn't come. Give them one year (tm Jacob) and she would've moved on. Edward may be Romeo, but Bella definitely is not Juliet. She still weighs in other options.

Yes to both. But the same can be said to Bella's relationship with Jacob and his werewolf friends. She trusts her heart more than her head.

Logically, Bella would be better off with Jacob because she wouldn't need to sacrifice her mortality, her family and her ability to have children. Plus, Jacob isn't as overprotective as Edward. But it doesn't mean that i support it :mrgreen:
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

I think if Bella were to confide in Jacob about the hallucinations that she would lose them & I think she knows that on some level...also, I think Jacob knows Bella well enough by now that he has noticed the depression & same as every other time, understands her & chooses not to upset her by mentioning it

If Edward were truly to never return then maybe, but she still has hope, however small that Edward will return until she loses all hope of his return she wouldn't be able to find happiness

Of course Jacob loves Bella, but he should wait until his love can be reciprocated

It bears no factor, Edward also saved Bella twice ... as did all the Cullens at the end of Twilight, I think Bella will not consider the above to be important

The story of Bella & Edward is very similar... Two star crossed lovers - wrong sides of the track - both dying for one another (theoretically) and an all consuming love

Anyone would have done the same, as a human she has curiosity

I'm sure her relationship with Jacob had it progressed would have been healthy to a degree but only due to Bella's ability to be selfless...her heart & soul belong to Edward and it is only out of his fear of hurting her that their relationship soured in the first place
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon