A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Paris

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
Maybe it would help her to talk about it, but I think she should keep the hallucinations to herself. Those could hurt Jake. I actually think Jacob has a pretty good idea about the other two subjects so if it would help Bella, I think she could confide in Jacob.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
I don't believe she'd give him a part of her heart. She'd love him with her entire heart but Edward would always still be there, lingering in it and reminding her of what could have been ... Anyway, I think it would be settling but maybe Bella's only other option if she wants to love again.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
I really don't know. He loves Bella and she does love him in a way. I think they'd both be relatively happy together.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
I think it makes their bond stronger.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
Never-ending love, the whole death and life thing, good and wrong ... It is similar, but of course there are differences.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
She probably should have investigated the car before entering the house, yes. I wouldn't call their relationship masochistic though.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?
That depends how you like at it. Bella and Edward are completely 'obsessed' with one another. They share true love and are inseparable. Physically their relationship is more dangerously, but emotionally they are completely happy as long as they are together. It's when they part that things get unhealthy. It's the same with Jacob though. When Jacob won't talk to Bella she realizes he leaves a hole in her chest as well.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
I don't think so. That is something that should be between Edward and her OR something that she should keep to herself.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
I can't remember if this is the part where she is thinking about that and whether Edward would want her to be happy..and then she hears his voice saying "Be Happy"... I lost it in this part, I could barely read thru the tears.
How can I explain this without sounding like a horrible person. I have stated this before, I like Jacob, as a friend..so yes after Edward anything else would be settling. BUT, If I knew for sure, like 100% sure that Edward is absolutely not coming back ever ever again, then I would want Bella to stay with Jacob and try to have a happy life. But since that is not the case I say NO! LOL :oops:

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
I feel a little bad for Jacob. Just a little though because he knows that his chances are slim, so he knows what he is in for. At the same time, it's not he choose to fall in love with Bella. So I don't know, with Edward out of the picture, there is chance so I would say sure, give it a chance. With Edward in the picture I say move a long Jacob, you are not winning this one. NOT A CHANCE.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
Therefore she should surreder her life to him? No, i don't think so. She should be grateful, absolutely and for that I think a life long friendship is in order but I dont think Bella should be romantically involved Jacob just becasue she feels in debt.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
Sure, there are similarities. They would both rather die than live without the other.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
Well the car was parked outside of her house..so its not like she went out her way to what it was about. It is a little masochistic, but it is the same for Edward. Small sacrifice in exchange for Edwards love.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?
Ugh. I dont want to get into this one, because its a long explanation and there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. And I mainly don't want to get into it because I am biased, very very biased. I want Edward and Bella together.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression? Yes; she needed someone to talk to.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart? From what Bella thought it did make sense to move on, but as a reader you're thinking "NO NO NO!!!! EDWARD WILL COME BACK!!!!"

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella? He should do whatever floats his boat.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally? She should be honest with him.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ? Well, Edward and Bella are actually in love, while Romeo and Juliet I swear is just an infatuation, but they're both willing to die for the other.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic? Yes, it might have been Edward!!

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"? I see Edward as medicine, insulin to a diabetic if you will. Jacob is just cough medicine. You need Edward to live, but Jacob is more for comfort.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~no, i felt it was right to keep that to herself.
~thats a difficult question. it does make sense to move on.
~i thought he should keep trying, and if it gets worse, then just stay friends if possible.
~she needs to be more honest to him.
~its very similar, but then again Bella and Edward think before they act unlike Juliet and Romeo.
~she was curious. although i was very afraid it might be a trick.
~ Bella and Edward's is healthier because they are able to tell eachother everything.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression? No, he'd think that she's crazy.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart? She should at least try.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella? He should wait!

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally? It's going to get a lot more complicated.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ? Yes, there is no way that they can be together, but they defy the odds.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic? YES!! It could have been a trick. Her relationship with the Cullens isn't masochistic; she just loves them.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"? Bella and Jacob's relationship is just an extremely close friendship while with Edward it's love. I can't tell which relationship is healthier, they both have their ups and their downs.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
mama mia
Settled in Forks

Post by mama mia »

Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
As Bella's relationship with Jacob became closer, I think it would have been okay for her to confide in him. Jacob is very perceptive, and he was not 'clueless' with how Edward's absence was affecting Bella. He would have understood, and would not have judged her. And it would have been good for Bella to also unburden herself.

Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?

Everybody deserves to be happy, and if Edward was truly not going to come back, then definitely Bella should open her mind and heart to Jacob. He is good for her, and she will be able to love him over time. (We later find out that she really does love him, without even knowing it at first) Granted, she will always have Edward in her heart, I think that Bella will be able to really love Jacob, and not just be settling. Everybody loves in different ways. Her relationship with Edward is totally different from that of Jacob, and as long she understands that, and does not dwell on the past, I honestly think that her love for Jacob would develop into the real thing. Even though I am a romantic, I am also a firm believer that there can be more than one soulmate out there for you. And Jacob was her other soulmate.

What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?

As the story develops, we know that Jacob was really going to fight for Bella. He knew what he was up against since Bella was very honest with him about her feelings, and yet Jacob was willing to wait for her. His love for her is unconditional, and it is therefore the real thing! You cannot just turn off your feelings just because the other person doesn't love you back the same way. It is selfish for you to wait for someone else who will love you back more. If Jacob would have given up on Bella, and looked for someone else, then he would not have been honest with himself, and it would be very shallow of him to do so. Jacob gained my respect for sticking it out with Bella, even though he knew it was a long shot.

How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?

It shows that their relationship is getting stronger. It shows that their relationship could have gone one step further, and turned into true love. Jacob has obviously proven his commitment to Bella by being there for her, in whatever way she needs him. And Bella is starting to show that she accepts Jacob and TRUSTS him. Bella is just holding back because she is not yet ready to let go of Edward. The healing process was not yet over for her..

How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?

With my previous answers, you may think that I am a Bella-Jacob fan, but honestly, I know that Bella and Edward are just meant to be. Their love is just so much more passionate and intense, rather than Bella and Jacob's love that is just so much more at ease and comfortable. The kind of love that you don't really need to work that hard on because it just falls into place naturally. Bella and Jacob's love is healthier in that respect - less drama, just kindred spirits. Bella and Edward though is the kind of love that you just cannot avoid or disregard. It is so intense that you just have to let it happen or else you will just die without it!! Like Jacob said in Eclipse (i think)" Edward is like your drug, whereas I am the sun and air for you" (Sorry if I misquoted, didn't memorize it exactly). Wouldn't it be cool though if Stephenie wrote an alternate story wherein Bella chose Jacob instead of Edward? oops! i hope that I didn't start any violent reactions!! :D
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

> Yes and No. I want her to have someone to talk to and to keep her open relationship with Jacob. At the same time, I don't want Jacob to be hurt.

> Yes and No. I think she truly loved Jacob though I knew it wasn't enough and that it was still just friendship for her (at that point). I feel very partial towards this, so my answer would be a solid "I'm not sure".

> He can't teach his heart to NOT love Bella. But it is hard seeing him hurt.

> Jacob has become a part of Bella's life and earned a spot in her heart. So know, we come to realize that "whew! this is gonna get more complicated..."

> Yes it is quite similar. I've always found it hard to describe that. A very strong, intense and passionate love. Confounding the senses, burning a hell of a blaze but instilling peace in your heart.They belong, its destiny, and stuff like that. It just suddenly came with the intensity of a thousand hot white burning suns. Not to mention the star crossed lovers stuff and forbidden love.
To me it differs because (IMO) Romeo and Juliet aren't very mature, so they make more hasty and emotionally charged decisions.

> I would've done the same thing. I don't really think its masochistic, she's happy when she's with them, its the separation that kills her.

> Bella and Jacob's relationship is much easier and light; Bella and Edward's is really intense.

Bella and Jacob would have been normal and happy, but the supernatural stuff came and their soul-mate status was trumped with the arrival of Bella's destiny in the form of a vampire and Jacob's inevitable supernatural inheritance. Edward was only unhealthy for Bella when he left. Considering all of those, Edward is the healthier choice. Jacob would be the healthier choice in a more non-supernatural environment.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
runningali
Settled in Forks

Post by runningali »

I think it would have helped Bella to talk about how awful she was feeling. But ultimately she wants to protect the Cullens and their secret so she would never do that to them - depsite how painful the departure of Edward was for her...she's loyal.

I don't think so - clearly Jacob helps her in the moments she is with him...but it would just be trying to fill a void Edward left. I think Jacob has always been more of a friend for Bella and that her "love" for him is brotherly/sisterly as opposed to the Edward type.

I think Jacob really thinks that Edward won't come back and that if he is patient, she'll come around to loving him one day. You should always wait for the reciprocal love! How sad to love someone more than they love you, or vice versa. Seems unbalanced. Especially in this situation where Jacob knows that Edward is still out there and could come back some day.

That's what friends are for...doesn't mean she owes him anything more. She's been honest with Jacob about the depth of her feelings the entire time. Jacob would have to be blind not to realize how much she still loves Edward. He's too attuned to her feelings (e.g., recognizing she "doesn't like music") not to pick up on that...it's his "wolf senses" :D

Wow, it's been a long time since I have read Romeo and Juliet so this is calling on dim memories... I think that there are some similarities...but Edward really only loved Bella. No Rosalind (that's the other woman, right?) character is in play.

If I was in her shoes I would have run right into the house too! She's so desperate for any contact with the Cullen's - even though it may end up hurting her...so, yes, maybe somewhat masochistic because it will end up hurting her. But you can't blame her, it's the love of her life. Given the Victoria situation, yes, she probably should have checked out the car more to make sure it was not some type of trick...but the likelihood of her being able to stop herself on the off chance that Edward is inside means she could not have slowed herself down. Ultimately, even though it is Alice inside, she is HAPPY when she is with the Cullens...the separation is the hard part (and turns her inside out emotionally.)

Hmmm...define "heatlhy"! Bella and Jacob are friends and she's clearly happy with him. Bella is desperately in love with Edward and that relationship is intense. When Edward and Bella are TOGETHER, she is purely happy and in love and life is grand...that seems fairly healthy to me.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

Honestly, I don't trust Jacob that much. So I wouldn't see that as a good idea, I'd be afraid of how he would react.

Yes, It would be settling. It's also very selfish of her to do this to herself and him. It would be leading him on.

Yes, he should, but that doesn't mean he can't keep crushin.lol

He is a very good friend, but sadly thats all he can be. I'm sure Edward owes him some... ;)

It is very similar in the fact that the love is passionate, nothing can keep them apart for long, and they would pretty much die for each other. Also, in a way there love is wrong b/c he is a vampire and she's human...but oh he could change all that. :D I'm not really sure how it differs b/c I don't remember much from this play..but for some reason I beleive that Edward and Bella's love is much stronger than theirs.

No, I wouldn't have. I think she did the right thing by running straight to the house. I think alice should have turned the lights on though..well at least one.

Bella and Jacob's is just friendship..strong friendship. They seem at ease w/ each other. Jacob accepts her even though he doesn't like vampires and she accepts him.
Bella and Edward's relationship is passionate, enduring, loving, caring. Even though he left, if we kept harming the one we loved in reality wouldn't it almost seem right to set them free even if it killed us. Yes, it would.
I beleive they both have their danger, but honestly I beleive Edward and Bella's is better. Jacob wants a romance relationship w/ Bella, and she can't give him that...her heart would always be half Edward's and she would always want Edward in the back of her mind. Also, it doesn't seem like Jacob has gotten his emotions under control yet..his temper could flare and he would change and really hurt Bella. Edward has mastered this quite well.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

I'm not sure she should tell anyone about the hallucinations lol, people will definetly think she is crazy. But, I do think she should confide in Jacob about how things were with Edward and what she feels now. She doesn't have to keep secrets from Jacob anymore and that would make it easier to talk about things. Talking would allow Bella to heal and move on, and it would show Jacob that maybe crushing on Bella isn't good for either of them. Sharing her feelings would help her and prevent Jake from heartbreak of his own.

If Bella is going to continue to be friends with Jake she needs to reinforce the fact that they are only friends. If Bella were to hook up with Jake now, he would only be her rebound guy. Jake deserves to be in a relationship with a girl who can give her whole heart to him. It would be unfair for Bella to settle for someone she doesn't completely love, and it would be unfair for Jake to settle for someone who can't return his feelings.

People have feelings for close friends all the time. That does not mean they are meant to be together. He would be cheating himself if he settled for someone who didn't love him the way he loved them.

I don't really think she "owes" him anything. A friend would save you however many times you needed it, no strings attached. But, obviously Bella knows what Jake would risk to save her, so I think she should be more honest with him and stop leading him on.

Romeo and Juliet are a lot like Bella and Edward. Both couples are star crossed lovers. They should be together but there a things preventing them from being togther. Romeo and Juliet did not want to live without one another, and Bella and Edward are the same way. The major differences would be that Charlie did not choose Jake for Bella the way Juliets father did. Bella and Edward were not going against their families wishes by being together either; their families were not feauding. The biggest difference would be that Edward is not human and it is very difficult to kill him, while Romeo didn't have to try very hard to end things.

I can only assume Carlisle's car was left behind when they left Forks because Alice said she flew back to Forks. So since the car was left in Forks Bella should have made sure another vampire didn't take it. If Victoria had known the Cullens were gone she could have gotten into their house and taken Carlisle's car. I don't think her relationship with the Cullens is masochistic. Being so friendly with vampires probably isn't the safest thing she could do, but they are in control of themselves so I wouldn't call it masochistic.

Jake and Bella definetly share a bond, but it is based on friendship. Bella loves Jake but not nearly the same way she loves Edward. The love Bella and Edward have is based purely on true love. They would do anything for one another including leave or become a vampire. Honestly, Jake is probably "healthier" for Bella. She can be human with him and she wouldn't have to hide parts of her relationship from Charlie or anyone else. Not to mention, she isn't really in danger of being killed with Jacob. But, she still belongs with Edward lol.