A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
flo1190
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Paris

Post by flo1190 »

im 100% team edward, so some of my answers may be biased, but i'll try to answer them as non biased as i can

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
yes, she should because jacob is the only person who can help her, and can understand her. everyone else would think her crazy, but not jacob. bella knows that and she knows that she herself ould feel better for telling him, yet she wont.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
from my- very team edward-y perspective - no. not because i would resent her being happy with jacob, but because i know that being with jacob wouldnt heal her fully. bella cannot ever be happy without edward and would only hurt herself further by trying. she knows that she could never give jacob the love he deserves and she would hate herself for it

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
he should, but at the end of the day - its jacob and he never would

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
i think that jacob saved her physically before, when he brought her out of her zombie state because although she wasnt literally in danger, the pain she was going through would have killed her eventually. and, the fact that bella owes jacob makes their relationship what it was

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
it is similar to extents and it also differs but for me that isnt the main point. at the end of the day, if the other ceased to exist, the other couldnt live without them and would take their own life, no question, and that similarity is the most important

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
she probably should have, but bella being bella never would. she sees carlisle's car after months of being without anything, and she grasps it. it doesnt cross her mind that it could be a trick, for her, it is the only thing she has and there is no way its going to pass, even if it means leaving jake.
is the relationship masochistic? i dont know. but i do know that it is her whole life, and there is nothing she wouldnt do to hold onto that, even when it causes her pain.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?
deep down, (and i hate to admit it) i know that being with jacob is healthier for bella, more natural. yet, even knowing that, i still believe that bella has to be with edward. without him she completely falls apart meaning that being with her is healthy
Team Emmett! Stronger than you since 1915.
so the lion fell in love with the lamb
"Alice sees him falling for a human. How classically Edward!"
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
I think prolly she should cos I think it would make her feel better. And she knows that, despite the fact she would sound crazy, Jake would believe her.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
No, I don't think so. I don't think it would be fair to either of them.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
Yeah I think he should wait for someone who can love him as much as he loves them. I know at the moment he doesn't care that Bella doesn't feel the same way, but that might change in the future. And then both Bella and him would be unhappy about it!

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
I think that altough Jacob helped Bella a lot, I think she helped him too, made him happier with his life. I don't really see it as Bella "oweing" her life to Jacob.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
I think it's similar to the undenying love, and the fact that neither could live if the other died.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
I thought she was being a little hasty in going to see if it was Carlisle's car, but at the same time, I think she would defo know the car!

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?
I think Edward & Bella's relationship is healthier. I think the feelings between them are much much stronger, and I think that Jacob is more likely to hurt Bella physically (ie by phasing when he's too close to her) than Edward.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I don't think it's quite necessary, unless she was planning on continuing her hallucinations. Jacob has the jist of what Bella is going through..

Jacob knows where Bella's heart is,.. but he also knows that she does love him. I think Bella and Jacob are soulmates and would have ended up together if she never met Edward.

Depends on how he feels. But apparently it doesn't matter to him. Everyone knows in their heart what they want to do. He's willing to accept her the way she is.

When people go through experiences like that, it bonds them closer. Bella is usually in need of someone to save her life.

The love at first sight. Their romance grew so fast and so strong so quickly. Edward was never in love with anyone before Bella though.

I think she should have been questioning why Carlisle would be there in the first place instead of just trusting it was him.

Obviously Jacob and Bella's realationship is a whole lot healthier.. Jacob doesn't feel the urge to kill her constantly and doesn't freakout if she bleeds. But it's also not love-love. Edward and Bella have something so deep.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I don't think so. What would Jacob could tell her? He knows already why she is depressed. They don't need to talk about it. I wouldn't talk about it with Jacob if I were Bella. I think I wouldn't talk about it with anyone! :s

Maybe, but I think that she should wait. I mean, at that point, she thought about finding happiness with Jacob mostly because he was insisting so much. And she was just starting to realize that she had to find some way to be happy (or partly happy) again.

Jacob is patient. He knows she needs time to get over Edward. But sometimes Jacob is so reckless and impulsive.

I just thought: OMG, he loves you more than you think.

A little, but I really don't know how to answer this.

Do you mean like enter the car? Well, why? Someone was in the house, anyway. I don't think it's masochistic, it was actually that she felt her pain go away for a second.

Bella and Jacob's relationship is healthier. Bella and Edward's relationship is intense and irrational.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

If she really wants a life with him, yes.

Yes, she would find happiness eventually.

I think he would deserve better, yes. But, he would also be happy with her.

Not.

At this point in the story, knowing what we know now: not similar at all. Bella's lost her greatest love, but at this point I'm thinking that Edward could live with not being with Bella.

She was to quick in having faith that it's definitely Carlisle. But, off course, she would be very happy he's there, so not hesitating at all to go home.

Neither one is healthier. The relationship with Edward might not be healthy because of the irrationality of it all... BUT, the relationship with Jacob is not healthy, because she knows herself she is taking "second-best". She is settling for something, because she knows she can't have the love or her life. She will always feel the loss of Edward, even if she has Jake.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Yes. It would really help him to understand what's going on, and he would be able to help her more.

I think it would be, honestly. I love Jacob, and I think that she would be much happier if she tried to move on from Edward.

Jacob seems to understand Bella's sadness, and he's so willing to make her feel better... I think he'd be fine with her.

I still think that they would have been good together.

Honestly? No, it's not. Considering how much Bella had to bend the story in her comparison (What if Juliet loved Paris?), I don't think there's much of a similarity at all.

Yes, she should have. And yes, her relationship is masochistic... I know she wants to hear Edward's voice, but when she shows up at the Cullens' empty house and at the meadow, it's like she's trying to make herself think of the things that she tries so hard not to think about.

Bella and Jacob have a more friendly love with each other, whereas Bella and Edward have a more passionate one. I think that her relationship with Jacob is healthier, though... She's a bit obsessive towards Edward...
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

She needs to if she's ever going to recover enough to lead a normal life. But I don't want her too, because it means she is getting too close to Jacob.

Yes, it would be settling. We know she never loves him as much as she loves Edward. But he'd be okay with that, and if Edward hadn't come back, it would probably have been the best future for her, although it still wouldn't have been much of one - constantly living with a broken heart.

He probably should, actually. But he loves her, so he's not going to see it that way.

I don't think it makes that much difference. Does our love for people, or whether we should be with them or not, hinge solely on their lifesaving capabilities? That's a very shallow standard to use in judging something like that.

It's similar in the fact that they both love each other enough to die (in Bella's case emotionally, in Edward's case emotionally and physically) if they can't be together. But it's different in the fact that Edward and Bella's opinions of themselves are more the cause of all this trouble, because they each think that they themselves are worthless. That was the cause of all the trouble, rather than a chapter of errors, as in Romeo and Juliet.

No. They're her friends. Why run away from them?

I think both have elements of unhealthiness and healthiness. Bella and Edward's relationship was unhealthy because initially it was so cloistered. However, it later evolved into something more inclusive and balanced, perhaps because (at least in part) of this very separation. Bella and Jacob's relationship is the classic rebound scenario for her. Initially everything they do together is so she can see Edward. That's not very healthy. But her intention to try and move on, as she's just about to, is a sign that she's seen the unhealthy side and is trying to make it a little more healthy.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

-Well, they're best friends..and he has to know just how deeply she's hurting..he doesn't seem to care and he just wants to help. Knowing Jacob, I doubt he'll run away.

-I think that's just apart of life...time heals all wounds. And I definitely don't think she's settling..more so, it'd be him settling than anything else.

-I personally don't think she has just platonic feelings towards him. I think she's denying that part of herself because of how badly Edward hurt her. Jacob seems to be the intensely loyal type.

It means they have an intense bond. How can you not after that? But she doesn't love him in the same way she's loved in the past. But they're still best friends..they have a connection that's hard to explain.

I never thought to compare the two, though I suppose I should have, seeing how it's constantly referenced in the book. From Edward's perspective, I suppose he thinks their relationship is doomed because of what he is. From Bella's perspective, it's an amazing love story....they also have that forbidden love thing going on, except it's the Volturi that don't want them together versus his parents. If Charlie knew the truth, clearly he wouldn't want them together.

Curiousity killed the cat? I can't blame her from wanting to see who came to visit her and why. Well, the Cullens left such a large impression on her life, I don't see how she can fight her curiosity. It's just one of those things.

Jacob and Bella's relationship I think is far healthier..she and Jacob just have it easier, more natural way of being..of relating. Jacob's easy going nature versus Edward's cautiousness makes for some interesting dynamics. Since Edward is constantly fighting his nature of wanting to harm Bella, he's not as easily open with her. He's so used to having to NOT sharing things with humans.