A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 13 ~ Killer

Post by Alphie »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Killer

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
Well, the conflict between Bella and Jacob definitely doesn't get resolved in New Moon, and neither does the conflict between Jacob and Alice, because it can't (vampire vs. werewolf, anyone?). Jacob's internal conflict rages on but as soon as Bella finds out Edward is going to the Volturi, her mind is made up and her conflict is gone, at least in part.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
It's a big mix of friendship, anger, frustration and sadness, I think.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
That would SUCK in so many ways. End of story.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
The whole idea of changing into an animal is a weird, frightening thought. I think this is what he meant. I mean, imagine changing into a wolf when you never believed the legends that said that was a possibility!
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

Jacob's internal conflict is resolved because now Bella knows the truth.
Bella's internal conflict is resolved because she knows about Jacob and that he didn't leave her.
Again, the external conflict between Jake and Bella is resolved because they both know the truth about each other.
I didn't realize there was a conflict between Jacob and Alice in this chapter.

They are both feeling unsure of themselves. Bella loves Jacob and she doesn't want to see him in any pain - she wants to end his pain, if she can. Jacob doesn't like Bella in pain and he knows that he is the cause of some of her pain. By speaking face to face, neither one of them can hide from the other or put up a superficial front. They know each other too well to lie to each other or hide anything from each other.

It would have to be incredibly difficult. There are always things that you want kept private, even from some of your closest friends. Jacob says that in battle it's handy but I would imagine that it would become quite a burden.

Because sometimes the inner-workings of your brain can cause more damage than physical pain. All of a sudden there were all these thoughts in Jacobs mind that weren't there before, voices in his head speaking to him and I imagine that it took quite a bit to swallow to know that the legends that he hadn't believed in for so long were now true. Not only did he have to accept that werewolves were real but so were vampires.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Wow... I just can't answer that right now... it is very deep.

I think they are just true best friends who love each other.

I am sure it is weird and uncomfortable. Total unnatural feeling.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?I think it is the pain of accepting what he is, and he thinks he is a terrible monster. Jacob also loves Bella and when he changed he may have felt that his life and everything he knew changed and he lost Bells
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

la_tua_cantante wrote:1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
Well, the conflict between Bella and Jacob definitely doesn't get resolved in New Moon, and neither does the conflict between Jacob and Alice, because it can't (vampire vs. werewolf, anyone?). Jacob's internal conflict rages on but as soon as Bella finds out Edward is going to the Volturi, her mind is made up and her conflict is gone, at least in part.

It's a big mix of friendship, anger, frustration and sadness, I think.

That would SUCK in so many ways. End of story.

The whole idea of changing into an animal is a weird, frightening thought. I think this is what he meant. I mean, imagine changing into a wolf when you never believed the legends that said that was a possibility!

I agree with you on everything except #4....I think it's kind of cool how they change into wolves. I like it! =]

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Well, Jacob's and Alice's will take a while to end, due to their "species". Otherwise, Bella seems to egt over her own, but maybe not the one between her and Jacob.

2. There are tone of emotions. Since Bella came to speak to him face-to-face, he probably had a bit of repect to that, and knew she respected him.

3. It must be annoying, especially if something is bothering you, and everyone knows about it. I don't think many of them like it.

4. Maybe a change in his person or personality? When I read about that, I still wasn't sure what happened.
Twilightlover101

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Well prejudices last a bit longer so who knows, and in the end i'm sure bella will make her choice.

Anxiety would be a big one in this chapter, it's not everyday you go down to see your were wolf best friend.

They obviously grow and become very close, hard not to when the other know all your secrets and emotions.

He was obviously scared, how many times to you change in to a werewolf without know what on earth is going on.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved? Well, Bella and Jake's conflicts are resolved in the fact that they talked about what was going on; she confronted Jake with her fears about him, and he explained what he was. Jake and Alice-- that will stay unresolved because he still views the Cullens as enemies.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change? High anxiety! It changes once Jake tells Bella what he is and that they don't murder people.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves? I would imagine it makes them feel like they can't really be themselves; everything is out in the open for everyone to see.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way? It was the only way he knew how to describe it?
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

What a hard question! I feel like I am in school, I really have to think about this one, but that's good :) Bella's internal conflict seems to be about her allegiance to Jacob as a friend when she thinks that he is killing innocent people and is a danger to her father. I see this one as pretty much resolved because she says herself that she doesn't care about what he is, but what he does. When she finds out that he is not killing people, she is overjoyed. Jacob's internal conflict seems to mostly surround involving Bella with the pack and whether or not she should know about them. He wants her to because he loves her. He also is aware of all the warnings that others have given him, that it might not be safe for her to be around him. I think this is always in the back of his mind, so he trying so hard to be controlled so he can find a way for her to be in her life. I think some of his conflicts are resolved. The one about telling her about the werewolf thing seems to be resolved when she guesses what he is, and then they clear up some misunderstandings. I think he also resolves his internal conflict of whether or not Bella should be involved with the pack when he finds out that she has information that can be very helpful to them. As far as the being a danger to her, I think that will always be something on his mind. It seems with some of their internal conflicts being resolved, it resolves the conflicts between Jacob and Bella as well. I don't know what the conflict is between Jacob and Alice.

I think Bella is feeling a little bit of fear, a lot of hurt, a little bit of anger. I think Jacob is fearful as well, that Bella will hate him, and very anxious to see what happens. I think these emotions change from uncertainty and anxiety to a more comfortable place where they both feel somewhat at ease about their truths.

I think it would be very surreal, and I can understand any bitterness that comes from it. I would hate having others hear my thoughts, it would be something that I was resistant to at first because it was so new and felt so wrong to me, but I think as they get closer to eachother, and we see this in the other books it becomes somewhat of a comfort at times.

I think because its so unknown to the person that is going through it. Like Jacob talks about Sam having to do it alone, I don't know how he could do it either without someone to talk him through it, tell him what was going on, and encourage him. And it was something that was completely forced on Jacob by forces out of his control, being forced to do anything against your will can be a very painful experience, not to mention all the stigma and things that Jacob felt about the things that were happening before they happened to him.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think the conflict between Jacob and Alice stayed unresolved. Im not sure about the others.

They are probably feeling hurt. Both of them. Or angry. idk.

It probably doesnt feel that good. To have every thought in your mind, in others minds too.

Because even if its not physical pain he is feeling, there other ways to feel pain.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]