A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Killer

Post by twilightapple »

There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
Bella's internal conflict was that she wasn't sure if Jacob was murdering innocent people in wolf form. It got resolved when Jacob told her the truth--that he wasn't the killer. I don't think that it's fully resolved because he also told her that he kills vampires... so the conflict between Bella and Jacob is still there despite the fact that they now know more about each other. Jacob's interal conflict was his loyalty to the pack. Since the chapter ended with him taking Bella to see his pack, this conflict is also yet to be resolved. I don't remember Alice and Jacob having an conflict ......

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?

At the beginning of the chapter Bella mentally questions Jacob for being in the pack and it worried about what the outcome will be. As she reveals what she knows about Victoria to Jacob, she is reliefed to learn that he is not the killer. By the end of the chapter, Bella is questions her own motives for telling the pac about vampires.

Jacob is just scared of losing Bella in this chapter. He goes from assumping that she is disgusted by him to pushing to tell the pack about vampires. I think he realizes that Bella can fit in his world and it willing to make his pack angry to make it work.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?

Jacob probably is scared because the other wolfes can easily find out about Bella at any time if he is not careful. The other wolfs may have just accepted and adapted to it or maybe they don't like it and want their own privacy.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?

Jacob never wanted to believe in the legends and lore, yet he is phyiscally about it a myth. Therefore, he is becoming what he doesn't want to be.
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
I don't think any of the conflicts get resolved. They're all left untied, willy-nilly. Bella still wants Edward, but wants to be close to Jacob. Jacob's greatest enemy is the Vampires, and Bella wants to run off and be with one, and he wants to be close with her. And Jacob and Alice are enemies, no matter what stands between them. No resolution. (although Alice isn't really in this chapter at all... thought I'd mention that)

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
Anger, fear, resentment. I can totally understand Jacob's thinking that Bella is a hypocrite at the beginning, and that Bella is scared while she still thinks he is killing people. Then, the emotions change to awe, guilt, happiness, still fear.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
Oh, it must be awful. Everyone has thought that they'd rather keep to themselves, especially when you have never been close to the person you're being forced to share them with. And I'm sure that everyone has thoughts that other people would rather not hear at all.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
He must have been so scared. Here he was, a young boy, always thinking that the Natives' superstitions were just that, superstitions. And then he becomes one. He's man, morphing into animal. An animal whose soul purpose is to fight other mythical creatures. It must have been so hard to wrap his mind around.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?

they aren't...until much later...in a completly different book.

This was such a hard chapter, I dunno, fear and anger to begin with and then their normal friendship stuff.

Probably very intrusive.

because he probably had no idea what was happening to him, he was probably scared, and emoitionally it probably was the worst thing he has ever had to go through.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I think the internal conflicts have been resolved because both Bella and Jacob have talked to each other about their issues and in turn, they don't have issues now that all of that stuff is in the open. As for the conflict between them, there is always going to be some tension because of the way that they feel towards each other and now that Jacob has like anger issues he has less patience and other stuff. Jacob and Alice's conflict will kind of always be there just because of the different beings that they are.

I'm not really sure. The only thing that really popped into my mind was fear.

That would be difficult. Even for a human, opening up to someone you are not close with is extremely difficult so I would think it goes even deeper with this because it's not only opening up them to situations but their every thought. Definitely hard to get used to, accept, and deal with.

To think that you've been living one way for your whole entire life, to all the sudden have these huge physical changes being done involuntary to your body, I just feel like would be so emotionally confusing and therefore, the discoveries and accepting of this new form and way of life would be hard and cause pain.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Bella's conflict isn't reslolved until Breaking Dawn, and it only gets stronger during Eclipse. Same with Jake's internal conflict and the tension between him and Bella (that that is really strong in the beginning of Breaking Dawn too). As for the conflict between Alice and Jake is reloved in the middle of Brekaing Dawn, and then the conflict between Jake and Rose starts. :D

Jake is hoping that Bella won't hate him and Bella is trying to convince Jake that killing people isn't right while also trying to convince herself that he must be doing it for some kind og good reason.

They probably are feel very vulnerable and self conscience and embarrassed and most likely a little annoyed. I know I would.

I read something on Jake that SM wrote herself and there was a small part describing the change. It was so terrifying because one second he was furious and the next second he was 'exploding' into a new shape. He almost hurt Billy but was in enough control to stop himself.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i didnt think that any of the conflicts were resolved in new moon, the conflicts just get stronger through eclipse.

-jake's worried because he thinks bella wont ever want to see him again once she figures out hes a werewolf. bella is scared because she thinks its jacob and his friends who are responsible for killing all those innocent people. once they both talk to each other, there arent any more misunderstandings and bella and jake are happy again.

-ohh god, hah i bet that sucks! i would hate it if everyone knew what i was thinking

-jacob was probably so scared and afraid that he was changeing into werewolf, that's probably what he means when it was terrifying and horrible.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

I think that Bella's confusion as I like to call it is that she know how Jacob feel's about her but she is unable to feel the same way about him, or at least as strong as she does for Edward, and she doesn't want to loose Jacob he is the only thing she feels she has got left to hold on to. Jacobs conflict is that Bella is in love with Bella but he is bound by loyalty to Sam's will. The only conflict that they have together is that he hopes that she will eventually love him as he does her, and she hopes that he understands that she could never love him as she loves Edward. Alice and Jacob have issues but They do resolve them in the end I think he accepts them, well almost all of them (Rosalie) he becomes in a sense part of the family.

Bella is Scared, determined, and in a sense outraged and mad that jacob could be killing inocent human beings, She wants to talk to him and try to make him stop doing what his doing. Jacob is scared that Bella won't want to be near him when she figures out what he has become now. But he is also mad when he hears that she is trying to reason with him in a harsh way about what he is doing. He can't believe that she is so willing to be around and accept vampires but not him. So all in all alot of confusing emotions going on here.

I think that they might feel like they are not able to keep a separate life from one another they will always share their most intimate and embarrasing thoughts and secrets because they are not able to keep them safely in their minds; Which should be the safest place anyone has. It;s as if your brain has a mouth and it's talking without your permision and tere is nothing you can do about it. That must truly suck for all of them not being able to have any privacy at all.

Because of the emotional weight of what is happening. It must have felt like he was loosing his mind. So many things changed all at onece the inocence of his youth is gone and has to face this horrible truth that he can't get away from all of a suden.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Bella <=> Bella: Not entirely resolved by the end of New Moon. She's still confused, still 'damaged'.
Jacob <=> Jacob: I think Jacob's internal conflict gets resolved in New Moon. He accepts the fact that he's a werewolf and that he has more self control then normal werewolves so he believes the odds that he'll hurt someone he loves are smaller than for the rest of his pack.
Bella <=> Jacob: Jacob is hurt that Bella seems to care more about 'those leeches' than she cares about him. In a way I believe that is actually true. She does love Jacob but that feeling is much less intense than her love for Edward. This conflict doesn't resolve itself entirely in New Moon, I think. I think it only gets resolved in BD.
Jacob <=> Alice: Werewolf <=> Vampire: I think there might always be some conflict between these two because it's in their nature to feel that way, but they do a pretty good job accepting each others presence in Bella's life.

I think they feel just about any possible emotion throughout this chapter. First you've got Bella who is scared, confused, hurt and even slightly angry when she thinks Jacob is a human killing werewolf. Jacob is worried, hurt and angry. Worried because he is scared Bella won't accept him the way he is. Hurt and angry because she didn't care that Edward was a monster but apparently she does care he is. Then you have the whole surprised and relieved thing when Bella finds out Jake doesn't kill people and he finds out she doesn't care he's a wolf. Then Jake has hope again. Er, do I have to continue?

Awkward. I think it must be horrible to have people you may not even like or know that well, knowing your every thought. Especially when you're already confused with because of all the 'teenage stuff'.

I can imagine it has to be terrifying to change into an animal while you don't have a clue of what's happening. For all you know you could be dying or actually be changing into a real monster.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved? I can't remember these conflicts. :? LOL, shows how much I've read NM.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change? Ummm, stressful emotions. And then they get relieved.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves? I think they become closer through it, but it gets on their nerves of course.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way? Because emotional changes are sometimes the most painful.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

This is complicated, because there are different ways of looking at things, or/and different parts of the conflict that are resolved and not resolved. *sigh* ok, i'll try to make it short. From this particular point of view Two of them are resolved. One of Bella's conlicts is that Jacob and his pack are killing people, that is resolved. They are not. One of Jacob's conflict if that he thinks Bella won't like him because he is a werewolf. That is resolved, Bella doesn't care who is a vampire or a werewolf. The other two problems (Bella-Jacob & Jacob-Alice) really don't get resolved until Breaking Dawn.

I think they are feeling nervous, unsure at first, and as the conversation progresses I think they feel relieved. Everything is out in the open, there a few things to iron thru but basically there are no more secrets.

Oh that has to suck. One of the many reason that if I was given a choice I would rather be a vampire.
I think Jacob explained it right. It embarrasing and humiliating, at times it can be useful of course. Eventually everyone gets used to the no privacy thing. (I wouldn't though).

I don't really have an answer for this. I suppose its state-of-mind change. Maybe he stops feeling human at the very beginning and it scares the crap out of him? maybe.