A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by Alphie »

These questions come from the lovely Twix!

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by BlueOrchid »

1. I feel that yes, Jessica is justified. I think that after Edward leaves, Bella is so distant that she pushes a lot of people away form her. Jessica, to her credit, goes out with Bella in spite of this in what turns to be a bit of a disaster. Bella acts strangelly all night then she converseswith random strangers. I think Lauren does not want to experience this again. She probably also did not fully keep her mouth shut about the whole thing so the others don't want to go as well.

2. The medow is one of the happiest Bella/Edward moments. She figures if any place will summon Edward's voice, it is the meadow.

3. Jacob is absolutely smitten. As long as Bella does not force him away, he will be there.

4. Bella is in so much pain, she will do anything to stop it. Jacob is that person, his persistance and easy going charm helps Bella in a little bit. It is not a betrayal of heart in my opinion.
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
~ I feel that Jessica has reason to be upset...but I think she went a little to far. If she felt she was treated wrong, than just stop hanging with Bella, don't discourage others to stop as well.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
~She feels that being somewhere that was "theirs", where he was, somewhere that proves he was real will help bring him to life to her. A sense of deja vu.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
~He is a teenage boy! They can be cocky! But he has seen Bella at her worse and he is the one bringing her back. He knows she isn't ready for him right now...but pursuing her shows Bella that he wants to be with her and he won't leave eher. I think that atleast. He hopes that she will se that he is making her happy again.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
~Not betraying her heart, just trying to open it up again. Yes she will love Edward for all her life, but she is still able to love Jacob. Maybe not to the full extent she was able to love Edward, but love still. He left her, she believes he is never coming back because he realized she was nothing special, just human. So she feels that Jacob loves her and she knows she could love him. So why not.
ImageImage
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I have to say that if I was Jessica, I wouldn't have wanted to go with Bella anywhere for a while after that, but I do think it was crappy for her to talk the others out of it.

Because it's the opposite. The motorcycle gave her memories of him unhappy with her, while the meadow was the place where they declared their love for eachother and the place she spent her first evening with his family at. Granted, James entered the picture then, but still. It was full of strong memories.

I really think Jacob was pretty selfish about Bella, in a lot of the same ways Edward was. His feelings for her were legitimate.

I think she realized that sitting around moping was getting her nowhere, but I think it was an unfair thing for her to start thinking about Jake because she knew it would be an uneven relationship.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

To an extent I think her reaction is justified. Of course, Jessica would be hesitant. I think though that Jessica has just become more caught up in Lauren and being her friend that she really doesn't care all that much for Bella at this point.

It's a special place for them. It's where they first really declared their feelings for each other, it's where Edward really opened up and showed her himself in the sunlight. It's a sacred place for the both of them I think. It's where a very good memory of him is.

Bella is very kind and she can be a very open to others. Especially Jacob. And she doesn't always push him away when he puts his arm around her or holds her hand. She never comes right out and says there will never ever be a chance.

I think she is smart about moving on. Obviously, it will take time to move on without Edward but at the time he left, he never gave her any hope to think that he'd ever be back. Sometimes it feels - felt - like seeing Jacob was betraying Edward but in the end Bella had to do what was right for her.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Ymm. ueah.. probably. Bella is not so normal when you look at her as a whole. She falls in love with the school weirdo, has odd behavior, had off behivor in Port Angeles with Jessica... She dosen't seem to care what people think of her (yeah how many teenagers are THAT secure with themselves? Yeay if you are!!!), so Jessica is so justified.

I think it was the first thing that came to her mind. How painfully sad to loose the ability to hear the voice.

I think Jacob was raised to be quite onfident and he seems to have always been quite capable. He is a kid who builds cars and motorcycles. He is sucessful at caring for his dad. I just think he is one of those confident kids. Some guys ( I love you guys even with this generalized flaw... you are all not like this) are just a little slow and persistant and need specific direct point blank information. Also, I think Jacob feels so strongly for Bella, he can't give up caring so much for her.

I don't see Bella entertaining Jacob as more than a freind. She is quite careful to attempt to give him the impression that he is a friend, her best friend. She cares for him like a brother and she does love him... just not like THAT. I also get the feeling that Bella knows that all of her will always love Edward, even if she never see's him again.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

it's was their meadow.....

he's cocky

i think she jsut lost hope
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Yes. If I were out with someone like Bella, escpecially in her state, I would not go.

2. That is their special place.

3. Maybe he has never actually failed at something like getting Bella?

4. I think it is good that she was trying to move on, she really needed to.
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

not really, i think she should realize by now that bella is trying her best to get better and be normal. she should have just agreed to go instead of being such a b*tch. but that is jessica, she hold grudges.

she believes that going there will trigger something in her that will make him talk again. it was their place, and it was very special to them both.

he doesn't think edwars will come back so bella will eventually turn to him. he also knows that bella does care for him deeply, but he wants more than what she can give.

i think that she was trying to move on, she didn't believe edward was coming back, and to be alone for the rest of her life would be unbearable. jake was there for her and made her happy. it's only sensible.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
Twilightlover101

Post by Twilightlover101 »

No, jessica just didn't see anything to gain by being bella's friend so she could care less.

Because teh thrill is no longer there, because she had mastered the art it was no longer scary or terrifying.

Because he believes that is you want something bad enough you would eventually gain it with enough persistence.

She was smart to think of her future though i don't like it at all.