Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?

No Jessica is petty and she sides with whoever is popular at the time. Yeah Bella fraked her out that night at Port Angeles but a true friend sticks with you through thick and thin. She is just showing her true colors.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?

Because she knows that-that place holds allot of Edward and she thought that just the memory alone of what they had experince in it would make her blood boil and her heart to race causing adrenaline, the danger it involved because of the bear attacks would bring his voice to her head.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?

He knows that Edward is not coming back and that gives him the confidence to be upfront with Bella, He knows that the other guys are no match for him he doesn't view them as threat. So that makes it easy for him to show how he feels about her not take no for an answer.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?

Yes I felt like she was lieing to herself, she knew that she was never going to be able to forget Edward or stop loving him. So I felt like she was thinking of cheating on Edward and her heart just so that she could feel better. It wasn't fair to all three of them Bella, Edward, and Jacob because he would love her but she would never love him, not with the same intensity or dedication, it's like puting a bandaid on a gushing wound it won't stop it from bleeding it will only slow it down.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
talkingdove
Settled in Forks

Post by talkingdove »

hello i downloaded a pod cast i got this far in the book new moon it ends with bella and a motorcycle and jumps to alice and her in italy at a town square how did it happen what did i miss
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?

Not at all. They'll all lucky that Bella is finally back to normal. Jess just wants someone 'normal' to hang around with. But she should realize that no one is really normal.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?

Because the only memories she has of the meadow are with him, so Bella thinks that the place and it's memories will bring the voice to her.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?

Its not in Jake's nature to give up on something, even a hopeless cause as this one. He will try with everything he has to get what he wants and he won't stop until he finally realizes that its just not gonna work. Which may be a while.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?

I think that it is in acceptance that Edward is gone. It is neither a good nor bad thing. It is just a change.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-no, jessica's reactions were justified at all. if she had a problem with bella, she shouldve just talked to her about it or kept it to herself. she didnt have to turn everyone against her, it was really immature.

-the meadow was a really important place to both edward and bella, so by going there, bella probably hoped that she might hear his voice.

-jacob's just generally a really cocky person with a big ego. he didnt have anything to lose by repeatedly going after bella, so he kept trying.

-i think bella was just trying to honest with herself. she knew shes always love edward, but at the time she thought he was never coming back. she didnt want to be alone for the rest of her life.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

No, but then again, it's Jessica. I won't be surprised.

Maybe not to conjure his voice but more to search for a fact that he DID exist, that at one point in life he did love her.

1) cos he's over confident and 2) cos he understands Bella more than Bella understands herself and knows he has a chance (which is true to some extent)

Both. I'm disappointed that her love for Edward isn't as permanent as his love for her, and yet it's realistic to move on when you've been dumped by your BF.
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

1- i think it makes sense. she tried to be normal agian, but blows it.

2- because , he won't want her to remember what happend there.

3- becuase he's now a sort of equal to edward becuase he's a shapeshifter, so he can feel just as important.

4- based on what edward tells her, it makes sense that she would move on, but at the sme time, IT'S EDWARD!!!!!!!
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

These questions come from the lovely Twix!

Of course not, she was only ever friends with Bella when it could be useful to her in some way. This need is now gone and Jessica has no reason to be friends with her.

Bella is obviously basing her hallucinations on finding a part of Edward, she feels if she can find a trace of him somewhere it will make them stronger... plus she is probably running out of reckless things to do in Forks

Bella has already told him she thinks he is beautiful, Bella chooses to spend all her free time with him even after the bikes are finished... for all purposes he is only 16, and to a 16yr old boy it would appear that she does reciprocate even if she hasn't yet realised it herself

Edward has not contacted Bella for months at this point & she still believes every word he told her during his parting, Jacob makes the sun shine for her & she can also imagine a very simple life could be had with Jacob...what she and Edward have is heart stopping, breath taking, all consuming love that will last forever... this aside, there is a more mundane love that can come from being with someone and enjoying their company, she understands that she could have this with Jacob. She never once betrays her heart as she knows beneath everything she does and says, if Edward came to her & asked her back she would go, without a moments hesitation.
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Not at all. It's not as if Bella did something horrible that day. She just got a bit distracted and stared at a few men. No-one got hurt and nothing happened. I don't see why Jessica should react to that that way.

I didn't think she did that to hear his voice again. I thought she did that because she wanted to remember those great times more vividly. Maybe even to find some sort of proof that Edward actually existed.

I think he just thought it would all be worth it in the end. He truly believed that Bella would fall for him after finally getting over Edward and then all the rejections would be forgotten.

I don't see it as betrayal. Edward was gone and even though Bella didn't want to feel about Jacob that way, she must admit to herself that she does sort of like him in that way. She can't help that she feels that way.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

Yea..a little bit. I dont like Jessica and I dont like Lauren, but it was wrong of Bella to use Jessica like that. So..she has the right to not want to be friends with Bella I suppose. Not that they were very close to begin with. Anyway, I am not really to concerned about that.

She mentions that the meadow most hold some of Edward's essence (so to speak), since it was his special place to be alone.

Ah..rejection after rejection? Seriously? I would call it more like getting mixed signals. Thats where he gets his confidence from. I would say that Jacob is not giving up becasue he really likes Bella and there is a chance (slim as it is) that she might change her mind and pick him. At this point we don't know if Edward is coming back, so as long as he is not in the picture Jacob knows he has a tiny chance. Now with Edward back...its a different story ;)

If this was reality we are speaking about, I would say give yourself a chance to be happy. (I had tears in my eyes when she heard Edwards voice saying "Be happy" ). But I was still waiting for Edward to come back, so I didn't want her to get involved with anyone else.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified? No, because if someone's your friend and going through a tough time, you help them out or you're not a good friend at all.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice? Because she thinks that maybe his voice will be loving, since it's the meadow after all.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up? He's the opposite of Jessica--a good friend that won't give up.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on? For what she believes, it is best for her to try and move on. She thinks Edward doesn't want her and so at that point, why be miserable forever?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com