Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by sarah! »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
~ no, Bella needed some people to help her through the hard times and they refused her which is plain wrong.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
~because he always went there and it was their special place.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
~ he really liked her and figured she would get over Edward soon enough.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
~ she was told by Edward to move on and enjoy her human life. but then again, she fell so hard for him, which makes it very much depressing.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified? I think that she is still freaked out by the bar incident.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice? It was their place and she thought that there would be some reminder of him there.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up? I think that it's still because of their conversation at the beach the year before.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on? I think that her heart is torn, but she knows that Edward wanted her to move on.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
I can't say I blame her for not wanting to really be friends with Bella anymore. I think Bella would have freaked most people out. Jessica is just a teenager, so i'm not surprised she switched allegiances and made others dislike Bella. However, obviously Jessica was not really Bella's friend because instead of trying to help Bella, she helps others find a reason to dislike Bella.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
The meadow was their special place and held a lot of memories for her. She was probably hoping those particular memories would help bring back his voice.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think his reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
He can see that Bella needs him and he is hoping that in time she will need him as more than a friend. He thinks Edward is gone for good, so his chances with her are pretty good.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
LIke Jake, Bella doesn't think Edward is ever coming back. It's good for her to try and move on, it would help her to heal and to someday be more whole again.
saturnsugar16
Settled in Forks

Post by saturnsugar16 »

I don't blame Jessica for being freaked out by Bella and not wanting to hang out with her anymore. But, making everyone else not want to be friends with Bella is a little childish.

She and Edward share some important moments there, and she is hoping those important memories will trigger his voice again.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
He can see that Bella is not over Edward yet. He seems to think that if he waits long enough Bella will eventually be over Edward, and then they will be so close that she will just fall for him.

Its been months since Edward was around and she hasnt heard from or seen him. I think it's smart for her to try and move on.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

I don't blame Jessica, but she knew that was Bella's first night out since Edward left. Bella is just trying to find herself again so I def. think that it was rude to tell everyone not to go.

This is pretty much the first place they were out in the open w/ each other, so this brings alot of strong memories. I also think she wants to know the meadow was real.

Bella keeps coming to him even as a friend. He seems to understand her pretty well. So I think he is waiting to see if she gets over Edward.

Since Bella hasn't heard from Edward in MONTHS :( , she needs to try and move on. At least she did start hanging out w/ Jacob...that was a step in the right direction.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified? No. Jessica can be such a jerk sometimes and obviously not a true friend.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice? Because it was the special place he decided to share w/her.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up? I actually have wondered about that. I guess there's something about him that I'm missing b/c I don't know.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on? I didn't like that at all. She knows she still loves Edward and will always love him.It's only been a few months she shouldn't go looking for love again so soon!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

You have to admit Bella was acting really weird. It would scare most normal people, and Jess probably was tired of Bella first acting like nobody existed and then 'coming back' and being really strange. I guess it made sense.
It's the place where he first showed her who he really is. It's a magical place to her, and she thinks that if there was anywhere she could hear him, it would be there.
He knows that she needs him and likes him more than everything else, and it's just part of his personality to keep going at something, he says himself how obsessive he is when he has a project. I think he just sees no reason to give in yet because she still hasn't told him to go away or stop bugging her about it. Eventually, she might say yes to him and he will always be waiting.
It's not really betraying her whole heart, most of it is gone and missing Edward. He will always own most of her heart, that is too permanent. But she thinks he doesn't want her love, and it's better to be able to care about someone else, even if it's just a little bit of what you did before. I think it's smart of her to consider trying to love Jake too. She could either keep loving Edward with all of her heart forever and never get anything back or move on a little and be with Jake. She also wants to see him happy.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I admit that Bella was acting really strange that night, but not queer enough for Jessica to act like that to Bella. But Jessica is Jessica. But I guess ever since Bella found Edward, she has kinda been pushing her other friends away, so Jessica has every right to feel hurt. But Jessica went and did the same by being a cow.
Because the meadow is the only place that Edward and Bella have to themselves, and it's the place where Edward showed her what he is. They bonded in the meadow. I guess Bella feels closer to him there, so she might hear his voice.
I don't know, I guess its his personality. Maybe he thinks she does likes him, because how she flirted with him in Twilight. He probably understands how hard it is for her to deal with Edwards absence, and knows that she has noone else... maybe he thinks he still has a chance. And hes young, and nieve at this point. He probably doesnt understand everything at the moment. He wants what he wants. Bella is this lovely, young girl who wants to spend time with him, hes flattered, but getting the wrong idea :D
Because I'm completely Team Edward, and bias in that area concerning Edward vs Jacob, I think that Bella is completely mental in thinking she should move on with Jacob. She will never feel the same. She will always have the hole in herself. Sure, Jacob might patch it up a tad, but her heart will always be Edwards. Trying to cover up what she feels with Jacob, is using him. Jacob loves Bella, and if she continues her life with Jacob, when she doesn't completely feel the same way, is mean. Edward said he would come back, what would he do if he found her with him? He says he would be happy because she is, but I'd feel insanely bad for Edward. Then Edward would spiral down into a similar depression as Bella... *shuts up now* :oops:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
inspired_by_twilight
Settled in Forks

Post by inspired_by_twilight »

1. Since I've read SM's rough draft of Midnight Sun it's really hard for me to have anything positive to say about Jessica. Having said that, for someone who is completely outside the box from what Bella has gone through and what she is currently going through I can see where Jessica would've been freaked out by what Bella was doing. I still think Jessica would have joined the darkside anyways, she has never been genuine in her friendship with Bella.

2. Like she says in the book, she was trying to find a place where left an imprint, but not a place that had so many other human memories as well and the only place that could be would be the meadow.

3. I really believe that Jacob was just raised with a lot of pride in self and heritage. That is what gives him his continuing confidence.

4. I don't really think it's was either of the two options. She would never really be able to move on and she wouldn't be able to betray her heart...I think she is just simply indifferent and trying to cope with what is left.
inspired_by_twilight
ImageImageImage
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Perhaps, the the several months of il-contact.

It was there where he gave into himself there, for her, so surely there must be some remnant of him there.

Her constant flirting with him, him taking rejections as if it's a game until she gives in.

Betrayal. If she moves on, then Edward is truly gone.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas