A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by Gochiruzeru »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I think that while wanting to be free had something to do with it, she mostly just wanted to hear Edward again.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

He probably would have.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

Just an innocent comment. It's a pretty easy observation to make, since Bella is pretty pale.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?

I'm not sure. It may have been temporary, since I know that when she gets back with Edward, she feels as if him leaving her never happened. However, the time that they spent together isn't something that can just be thrown away easily. By this point, Bella does regard him as a friend, something that's pretty rare for her. I think that while he probably won't be her "fix" when Edward is with her, she'll always see him as a friend.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I think it is because she wants to see Edward and hear him.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
He already knew that his son didn't believe all that. He was probably worried that Jacob might tell someone else about it. He knew that Jacob would eventually find out the hard way. I don't think Jacob would have believed it before he experienced it; he doesn't trust other people's opinions as much as his own.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
I don't think it means anything more than what it says.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I think she's treating Jacob as her medication. I think she recognises that she is using him at this point, and, knowing that that's wrong, she probably is hoping she can stop eventually, and appreciate him for who he is, although she probably doesn't think she's capable of that anymore.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Bella wanted to go cliff diving in hopes to hear Edwards voice.

I think if Billy told Jacob what he might have to look forward to, he would understood better what was happing to his friends. The only thing I can think of why Billy didn't tell him, was if it didn't, he might not understand or believe in it or be upset that it didn't happen to him.

I always took her opinion of herself that she always felt different than others. She had a hard time fitting in with what most would considere normal. This comment just shows how others view her as being unique features than others.

I always viewed Jacob as her best friend that gets her. He makes her feel comfortable and able to be herself. Her fix for Jacob was a friendship. I felt this way during the first reading and after several reads through I still feel the same. I think Bella would like to keep this friendship for as long as she can. True friendships are hard to come by.I wasn't sure if he was going to be in Eclipse sine I wasn't trying to figure out the book just enjoy what I was reading.
Banner by TammyAZ