A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by Alphie »

These questions were provided for us from Jazziegeorgie.

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I think it was all of the above. She did it to hear Edward's voice again and to be irresponsible. I also think she knew how dangerous it would be and that, even though she didn't intend to, she knew she could die if the current overtook her. And since life was so unbearable for her without Edward, she went for it.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
Because they were all sworn to secrecy. And, no, I don't, because Jacob didn't believe the legends.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
I think it was just a comment from Jacob. Unless he was being sarcastic, there's not usually a deeper meaning to what he says.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I don't think she realized the actual relationship was there until it was taken away from her. And I sincerely hoped he wouldn't be, because even with the idea that Edward was gone for good, I didn't like the idea of Bella and Jake.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

I think part of it was that she wanted to hear Edward's voice again but I also think she wanted to be "absolutely free"...I don't think she would have tried to kill herself. Not at that point. She had Jacob in her life then and she was reforming her past friendships. Plus, if she would have died, she wouldn't have been able to be a vampire because none of the Cullens were around to "save" her from dying.

Billy probably didn't think that Jacob would have believed him. Jacob didn't make it a secret that he didn't believe in the legends. If Billy had told him, I don't think Jacob would have believed him. Not that he wouldn't have been able to handle it...Jacob probably would just have scoffed at Billy's tales unless maybe, he would have seen one the boys transform...and then, I don't know. I would have liked to think that Jacob would have been able to handle it, but you never know.

I think it was just an innocent comment on Jacob's part.

I don't think that she thinks her friendship is only temporary. She doesn't have any reason to believe that. Nor do we, at this point in the book. I think that Jacob would continue to be her fix, forever, if he could. I'd hope
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I think Bella really wanted to try cliff diving for the exact reason she said - reckless...danger... and halucinations. It is all about Edwards voice. Not a deper issue than that :)

It's called suspence....

I honestly think it as all about Stephenie Meyer just writing what she felt and what came to her. Jacob is making an observation...

I think Jacob has moved into main character status... so I think while he is Bella's fix, they are also BFF's really.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I think it was partly to hear edward's voice again..but also....sort of a cleansing stage of grieve,

yes

i don't know, honestly

i don't think so.....he would eventually grow tired....
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1) I think it was a mixture of many things. Firstly, she does want to be free, but I also seemed to notice she like hearing Edward's voice. But then, I think there is somethins else I just can't point out.....

2) Probably not to freak out Jacob, because that same thing could happen to him.

3) He may have done it to put the Cullen's in Bella's mind as bad people that left her. But it still s partially a mistake.

4) He is mainly her crutch, or cane, in this book. If Edward had never left, then Jacob wouldn't have been with Bella as much, or at all.
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

I think that all Bella wanted to do was to hear Edward's voice again. I think it made her feel closer to him in some strange way. I also think that some screwed up part of her thought that if she put herself in enough danger, Edward would come and save her from herself, which would never have happened if Alice hadn't seen Bella jump and never come up.

Billy's a member of the council, so I think he was forced to keep the secret of the shape-shifters. Jacob could have probably handled it better once he realized he was next, although I think it would have scared him up until the actual moment that it happens.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I honestly think that it was an innocent comment made by Jacob.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?

No, I don't think it occured to Bella that Jacob would eventually stop being her "fix." She probably thought he'd be there every time she needed him, because she thought Edward was not coming back.

No, I did not think that Jake would continue to be Bella's "fix" throughout Eclipse. I thought Edward would get all controlling-boyfriend again and forbid her to see the werewolves.
Twilightlover101

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I think both, she wanted to hear he's voice so bad but she also wanted to be free og it all, to be just free.

Because he couldn't tell jacob until the time came, traditions. I don't think they're aloowed to tell.

I thik it shows hoe much she declined through the months and she got paler.

I think that jacob was her temporary fix through nm, she needed something much more permanent than that.
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

[i]1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
At that point i thought Edward really 'saw her' and talked to her in her head. So I thought Bella figured, that if she was in real danger Edward would come and rescue her. And that that was the reason she did these things.

I think Billy couldn't tell Jacob, he wasn't allowed. That's the first rule right, they can't tell their excistence?

Not sure, didn't really made attention to it.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?[/i]
I think she sees Jacob only as her fix at that point cause she realises she somely wants Edward. And Jacob is there at that point to fill the gap (to putt it very rude).
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue? Oh good Lord! I SERIOUSLY hoped that Bella was just wanting to do it for the adrenaline rush and to hear that sweet voice of Edward's, that there weren't deeper issues in her head... like, she couldn't live without Edward. I picked up on the "Romeo and Juliet" mention in the early chapters, and that was in the back of my mind throughout the book. I knew there were 2 more books after NM, so I kept thinking, "no, there's not going to be a R&J-type ending here," but I was worried.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon? Really, had Jake known before-hand, "New Moon" would have been a totally different story.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else? It could have been an innocent remark on Jake's part. I don't think he really understood how things were between Bella and Edward; heck, he didn't even believe the legends that the Cullens were vampires.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?Wow, such deep questions! I hoped that she could just develop a friendship with Jake, because I knew Edward was coming back. I surely hoped that she wouldn't keep Jake as a "fix" in "Eclipse..." it's not fair to either guy- "you do something to upset me, and I'll go lean on him" is NOT a healthy attitude.